programmable interval timer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I’d like to put the aeration of my starters on an interval timer in order to cut down on foaming (I don’t like Fermcap S, so don’t suggest that as an alternative ;) ) but have a hard time finding a device suitable to switch 120V on a programmable interval. All I can find are programmable timers where you can program the time of the day they should go on/off and maybe a countdown timer. But that countdown timer cannot be run on a repeat mode.

The unit should cost less than $20.

Any ideas/hints? I’m not in the mood of building one myself at this time.

Kai

I believe the Kaiser prefers the Reininhisboat.

Yes. Not that I always follow it, but I think this stuff is the easy way out and can easily be avoided. But I have no other argument against it so I’m not forcing my beliefs onto others.

I checked the page and they have what I want but for $170 L

Kai

Would this help? It says it has 48 on/off settings per day, so it sounds like you could turn it on/off in intervals as small as 30 minutes?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mensh,
No. That's the type I keep finding. Not only would changing the cycle time be a lot of work but I would onlt be able to go in 15 min increments. I'd like to program a cycle time of 5 min and keep the pump on or 1 of these 5 min. And then be able to easily change how long the pump stays on.

Kai

Mensh,
No. That's the type I keep finding. Not only would changing the cycle time be a lot of work but I would onlt be able to go in 15 min increments. I'd like to program a cycle time of 5 min and keep the pump on or 1 of these 5 min. And then be able to easily change how long the pump stays on.

Kai

Plug one into another one? Wait, that doesn't work.

Another option that would be a little more work (and involve a computer) is some sort of X10 protocol based equipment (or other home automation protocol like Insteon). You could easily program the computer for any sort of on/off intervals you wanted. It might cost a bit more than $20, but definitely not the $170 you found in my previous link.

Again, it would require a computer, but that could be anywhere in the house as the home automation gizmos use power line and/or RF communication.

Mensh,

Kai

I can't believe it... you of all people to misspell my name!:D

Another option that would be a little more work (and involve a computer) is some sort of X10 protocol based equipment (or other home automation protocol like Insteon). You could easily program the computer for any sort of on/off intervals you wanted. It might cost a bit more than $20, but definitely not the $170 you found in my previous link.

Again, it would require a computer, but that could be anywhere in the house as the home automation gizmos use power line and/or RF communication.

This is exactly what I did at some point before I had a stirplate. I think I might have even posted on the forum here about doing it.

Of course I already had the X10 gear and PC with software on it

Kai, I don't see why you couldn't do it cheaply with a couple of timing relays. One relay with a delay on and the other with a delay off. Let me see if I can make this explanation as convoluted as possible..... Relay with a "time off delay" (Relay A), one set of NO contacts powering your valve and a set of NC contacts powering the coil of the other relay. The "other" relay is a "time on delay" (Relay B). A set of NO contacts power the first relay coil.
Adjust "Relay B" to 5 minutes, when the time is up it will close the contacts, thereby powering the coil of "Relay A" and start it's timing cycle. Once relay A (set to 1 min) completes it's cycle, it will switch and close the...... wait a minute. $hit, I am getting into an endless loop here......
I need to draw this out first. Give me a bit.

OK, let's see if I can explain this. Sorry for the crappy drawing, but I just threw it together.
When you apply power, Timer A begins timing. After 5 minutes, it switches "on" and stays on. That will turn on your valve and start the Timer B. After 1 minute, Timer B will change states and both timers will switch off instantaneously, allowing the NC contact "B" to close and start the timing cycle of Timer A again. Both timers are "ON" delay, meaning they will time for their set time before switching....
Is this clear as mud?

timerdwg.jpg

I have just what you are looking for. I use mine to run a mister for my houseplants. I have it set to go off for 5 min. about every 1.5 hours during the day. It is digital. I can't remember the brand. I'll check tonight at home. I'd swore I bought it at Lowes, but I don't see it on their website.

I did find this one though at $23
digital timer

II have it set to go off for 5 min. about every 1.5 hours during the day.

How did you progam this? Did you program the countdown timer or did you program tha actual time of the day when it should go on/off?

Kai

I'm pretty sure it is by time of day. I'll double check tonight. Hopefully I can find the manual, then I can see if it doesn't work in both modes. It's been running for a couple of years so I haven't thought much about it lately.

Back