Gluten-Free Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Llama

Reaction score
Hello All!

I've been reading your forums for awhile now (this is my first post!) and I've noticed that there is hardly any information about brewing beer for our gluten-intolerant and celiac friends.

I am just curious if anyone has any experience brewing a GFB. If anyone has any tips, tricks, or recipes I'd be willing to try them out!

Cheers! :mug:
Llama

Welcome to the world of posting.

I have done some GF brewing and it isn't very hard. Briess has a couple different GF extracts and that is the simplest way to go. The trick is the roast and caramel flavors, which can be approximated with things like molasses, toasted rice, and the like. Hard core GF brewers go as far as using GF yeast, but I never have tried that, not do I know if it is available. Wyeast had some available I I assume they still do.

All my info I found by hunting around the internet. Good luck.

Welcome!!!

There are a few things on here, every now and then someone comes on asking or posts some recipes. Most I believe use spelt or millet, or sourghum....I'm not sure which exactly.

Here's some stuff from the "search" feature. I won't say there's a lot, but it may be helpful. The wiki is even a little thin on it...(first link in the search)

http://www.google.com/custom?domain...000000;GFNT:0000FF;GIMP:0000FF;FORID:1;&hl=en

While doing that search I saw an old thread where a guy was researching African Brewing Techniques.....I went over to his blog, (He's using sourgham and millet-which makes it gluten free) His blog is pretty interesting, but also there was a link on it about working with Gluten free grains.

http://www.sillyyak.com.au/gfb/gfmalt.html

His blog is, http://africanbeer.blogspot.com if you're interested.

For a friend, I once looked around the internet for gluten-free brewing information. I found quite a bit. It has been a while, but it was not too hard. I imagine all that stuff still is out there.

I do not know if that WYeast gluten-free yeast was a permanent offering or not. I used the GF American Ale II about six or seven months ago because the LHBS was all out of WL California V and the normal WYeast American II. It worked just fine. :)

TL

So I've been formulating my gluten free beer! But I don't know how to balance the tastes.
Heres the idea:
2lbs malted buckwheat steeped at 160 for an hour (does this sound right?)
6lbs sorghum extract. (northern brewer says it has mild flavor and pale color)
hops. I don't know what kind and hour much to use for this kind of beer.
Wyeast American Ale II GF yeast 1272GF

any suggestions would help me very much!

If anyone is interested on how I malted the buckwheat let me know and I'll document it next time I do so!

Cheers!

Back