Barranco Beer Company - Craft Beer in Lima, Peru

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrexelMau

Reaction score
As a home brewer and craft brew lover it has always bugged me when I would go to visit my family in Peru and not be able to enjoy beer of quality and craft.
The Pilsen, Cristal and Cusqueña that are offered were ok to have one or two on a hot day but never really satisfied my craving for something really delicious.

Over the last two years traveling to Peru I have seen little rays of hope. In the Barranco market place I met an American selling beers in a bottle that I had never seen before. There were beers from "Sierra Andina Brewery" made in the mountains of Huaraz, Peru by an American that moved there with his family. Also around the same time I tried a hoppy red ale from "Barbarian" made in La Molina in Lima from a small nano brewery that popped up Nov 2011 by a few twenty somethings that were tired with the same ol beer.

This year seems to be the year that craft beer hits Peru by storm. I have seen that there is a new Brewery/ Brew Pub opening up in the Bohemian district of Barranco - Lima called "Barranco Beer Company" and it looks like it's going to be pretty big.

https://www.facebook.com/BarrancoBeerCompany

I've heard it'll be opening up June 2013 so this makes me very excited! No more watered down, flavorless beers.
923216_492058277527089_218757793_n.png

Can't wait for my next trip to Peru!

946683_491112640954986_470674545_n.png

Awesome! I think ill be headed to Peru in the near future so thats good to know. I'd heard about the place in Huaraz before from climber friends but other then that I'd thought Peru was pretty barren.

Hey MadHopper, I've been living in Peru for a year now and brewing just recently. I can show you a few places where the craft beer movement is underway. Peru was largely barren until very recently. I'd appreciate anyone coming down to Peru to contact me, so I can share info and send hops to your home to bring down for me. I'm in the beginning stages of learning how to import malt, hops and yeast. Any support from fellow HB drinkers will be greatly appreciated!

Sweet, if and when I make it down there Ill let you know for sure. At the moment I am living in Ecuador but there is actually a beer supply company here which has decent prices on hops by the 1lb/10lb/44lb. Its obviously no the same kind of prices youd get in the states for wholesale but its on par if not a little better than a homebrew shop I think

Cool! I'm glad you have a lock on some hops. I'm currently trying to chase down some importers who can supply me with hops and grains in Lima. Very limited supply thus far. I'll be around for a while when you are ready to visit.

Bumping an old thread but so glad I stumbled in! Am leaving for Lima tomorrow and actually staying at the dragonfly hostel which has it's own brewery as well. Sadly can't carry down any hops, passed them asking to a friend to use on some of our recipes while I'm away :)

Since hops don't normally grow in that part of the world I was wondering what brewers did to solve that. Import? Greenhouse? Any particular hops strains that can be grown there? Building up a list of places in Lima to hit, there for three days and figured I could bug any brewery I can for info! I'm just curious on how the lack of hops problem has been solved.

We were in Vietnam but long ago and although Sabeco Runs most of the show there was no shortage of small brewers like Big Man in Saigon bringing smaller operations up and using just about anything they could get their hands on with fantastic results. So glad to see craft beer making such headway in so many places!

Latest posts

Back