Favorite Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CityOChampBrew

Reaction score
So if someone put a gun to you head and told you that you had to only use one yeast in all of your brew from now on or die.... What would you choose and why?

Lately for me I would have to say wlp023.

Geeze, too many choices here, it would have to be something versatile. I would choose wyeast 2112 california common. I could cover a lot of styles with that one yeast.

I could go one yeast per tyle but never limit myself to just one yeast, because it would severly limit which styles I could brew.

1272 for IPA/APA's
1968 for English styles
3711 for Saisons
3787 for Belgians

the whole point of the thread was if you couldn't choose more than one yeast, what would your go to yeast be. Yes, we live in a world were we aren't in that situation(thank god) but I was just trying to gauge what everyone uses as a go to yeast.

I have gone to one yeast only and it is coopers ale. At a cold ferment it is very clean and a warm ferment gives off some nice flavors. For me it is just not worth the hassle and cost of keeping more than one yeast but of course I brew very few different types of beer

Ya I would say wlp1. I almost solely use that one anyways. It would knock out any belgian beers, though, but that would be ok with me. It's very clean, agressive, and versatile. I could probably make good malty beers with it too. It also can go up to pretty high alcohol levels and it's a good attenuator.

I would choose the chico strain since I like American style ales. I could do APA, Amber, Brown, CDA and IPA's. For simplicity I would use US05 because it would allow me to brew without having to make a starter if I didn't have one ready. Like today's: Pepper ale BIAB experiment using crushed red pepper.

I'd take whatever is in my air, because it's always there and has been making some crazy good saisons.

Commercially.... American Ale II.

I'd go 1728. Good in any Scottish beers, most English styles, American IPAs, stouts, etc. And you may be able to fake a lager if fermented cold enough.

Because no one has mentioned it yet, and I think I'm falling in love: WLP013 London Ale...

Back