Sprouted GF grains = malted GF grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I'm aware of those contamination issues, and willing to take that risk for the ease of use if I don't have to malt the grain myself.

Are "malted" grains dried at a higher temp than "sprouted"? ... and it seems a quick roast would solve that issue.

Yeah, I'm aware of those contamination issues, and willing to take that risk for the ease of use if I don't have to malt the grain myself.

Are "malted" grains dried at a higher temp than "sprouted"? ... and it seems a quick roast would solve that issue.

I'm there with you. I think the level of any cross contamination of grains when spread out across 5 gallons would be VERY minimal. I look forward to hearing your results :mug:

I just finally picked up "How to Brew" and am now studying the all grain section. I have also been following igliashon and others posts regarding enzyme use and conversion. I am hoping that one of these bright fellows will figure out the right combination to get decent conversion and then be graceful enough to share it with us.

Sprouting doesn't equal malting, but there are similarities. Sprouting the grain has one goal: making it sprout. Malting is much more complex; to malt you have to get it to sprout, control the process so all the grains sprout at roughly the same time, let them "grow" to the proper level of modification, which is the point at which the maximum amount of starches have been mobilized by the grain's enzymes while the minimum amount have been metabolized, and then abruptly stop the growing process. I would expect commercial sprouted grain, as malt, to run the gamut from undermodified to suffering from severe malting loss.

All I know is, don't trust sprouted grains to self-convert like malted ones, add amylase to be safe... also I think (in my case at least) they were kilned at a high temperature, because they tasted slightly roasted, and were darker brown than the raw ones. I don't think you could use them (very efficiently) as a base malt.

One thing I notice is that sprouted quinoa definitely tastes and smells sweeter than unsprouted. I've also noticed this with sprouted millet. So it's possible that even if you're just using enzymes, there might be a different (possibly superior) taste when using sprouted grains. Further experimentation is needed.

Back