Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha! I remember that. It actually wasn't too bad for cheap beer. They also used it as " human sign" in the computer game, " Deer Avenger"...

Can anyone explain to me why miller tried to buy out Heineken to avoid an offer from AB? Couldnt they just say no to the offer? I feel like when it is Put like that, it feels like AB is punking miller into selling.

Because they can buy the shares and do a hostile takeover. By buying Heineken they could avoid it by claiming antitrust, I imagine.

In that case they could just buy up shares to hold as treasury stock. If they have the cash to by Heineken, they should have enough to own 51% of their own company. (In theory)

In that case they could just buy up shares to hold as treasury stock. If they have the cash to by Heineken, they should have enough to own 51% of their own company. (In theory)

I am no expert however some corporations can only have so much stock in the treasury or can only hold the stock for a set time before putting the excess up for sale.

Probably depends on their charter/by laws and the laws in the jurisdiction in which they are incorporated.

I don't recall from business law class that there was a limitation that we spoke of. But anything is sure possible.

Even in a hostile take over, a purchase of Heineken wouldn't sway AB, they would just sell of underperforming segments until it met DOJ approval for the merger.

Ok, 'funny thing' contribution -

Talking with a female co-worker today describing the hops I grow. I mention 'Chinook'.

"Oh, those must be Canadian, right?"

???....sigh.

"No, I think they call those 'Canucks'...."

Ok, 'funny thing' contribution -

Talking with a female co-worker today describing the hops I grow. I mention 'Chinook'.

"Oh, those must be Canadian, right?"

???....sigh.

"No, I think they call those 'Canucks'...."

Maybe instead of Canadian she must have been trying to ask if they were a helicopter? Or a breed of hops that only grows when the wind's blowing a certain way?

We shall never know.

Maybe instead of Canadian she must have been trying to ask if they were a helicopter? Or a breed of hops that only grows when the wind's blowing a certain way?
No, no, no... Chinook hops are the ones that give the beer a light fishy flavour and aroma.

It's been my experience that ALL hops give you a HERE'S HOPS IN YOUR FACE flavour.

I don't get it.

0911001912a.jpg

No,no,no. Grind them into a powder then snort a line. That's real hop aroma & flavor.

"Sniff... sniff... sniffin' my snuff... snuff... snuff! Stuff the Oi! for bone heads and stick it up your arse! I don't want all your rubbish and I'm not workin' class! I loves my farm, I loves it all the day. With me cows 'n' chickens, I bide me time away!"

Watching Jeopardy tonight, one contestant said he was a craft beer fan. Alex asked what was special about craft beer, and before he could answer my wife said, "Flavor!" I definitely married up. :)

OK for the next chapter of Home Brewing Without Failures (cutting edge brewing from 1965) he discusses his suspicion that French beer is made with leftover grape/crappy grape/grape skins/something grapey in general. Rather than doing any, you know, research to check this he decides to go ahead and check it by throwing grapes or grape juice concentrate into his wort.

This isn't quite as crazy as the rest of the book as some saisons have grape in them and I haven't had any but I could see the appeal. And he does tell people to use campden tablets.

His recipes:

1. Make a normal light ale or lager and throw in a pint of grape juice concentrate into a 4 gallon batch.

2. 1 lb light DME, 1 oz "hops", 1 lb sugar (of course, how could he not?), 2 lb of green grapes crushed and thrown into the bottom of the fermentor after being sterilized and one gallon water. I have no clue how much beer that would add up to but that sounds pretty potent and probably a bit less horrific than a lot of the other recipes in this book.

Next up: Cider Making.

I was at a bar yesterday and the lady asked the waitress if she had Crispin. She said no, but what is it like so I can make a suggestion. The lady said it is like blue moonand her friend said no it is more like white wine. After the waitress suggested a hoegarrden (sp? ) she said no. I was right next to them and I mentioned that Crispin is a hard cider. The waitress listed their ciders and she ordered a Bud light.

Having to witness that exchange would make me want to hang myself from a short rope.

I was at a bar yesterday and the lady asked the waitress if she had Crispin. She said no, but what is it like so I can make a suggestion. The lady said it is like blue moonand her friend said no it is more like white wine. After the waitress suggested a hoegarrden (sp? ) she said no. I was right next to them and I mentioned that Crispin is a hard cider. The waitress listed their ciders and she ordered a Bud light.

Doble Post

OK for the next chapter of Home Brewing Without Failures (cutting edge brewing from 1965) he discusses his suspicion that French beer is made with leftover grape/crappy grape/grape skins/something grapey in general. Rather than doing any, you know, research to check this he decides to go ahead and check it by throwing grapes or grape juice concentrate into his wort.

This isn't quite as crazy as the rest of the book as some saisons have grape in them and I haven't had any but I could see the appeal. And he does tell people to use campden tablets.

His recipes:

1. Make a normal light ale or lager and throw in a pint of grape juice concentrate into a 4 gallon batch.

2. 1 lb light DME, 1 oz "hops", 1 lb sugar (of course, how could he not?), 2 lb of green grapes crushed and thrown into the bottom of the fermentor after being sterilized and one gallon water. I have no clue how much beer that would add up to but that sounds pretty potent and probably a bit less horrific than a lot of the other recipes in this book.

Next up: Cider Making.

roflmao.gif

Back