Cheese's Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigirishape

Reaction score
This is going to be a very simple question I'm sure, but as a beginner brewer I figured it would be better to post here rather than to tag it onto the end of his recipe thread.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/hints-sweeter-brew-hint-vanilla-8369/#post82836

I'm working on my 4th extract batch, brewing solo, and all have come out to great reviews. I'd like to try the Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale next, but as I'm only used to the static instructions that come with the Extract Kits at my local homebrew shop, I do have 2 questions about the above recipe..

"1 pound Briess Caramel 60L (steeped for 45 minutes at 150'-165')"

Is this the equivalent of putting the milled grains into the muslin bag and letting them steep for 45 mins prior to adding the DMEs? or is this an actual partial-mash situation? I know the recipe is in the Extract Brewing sub-forum, but when in doubt, ask someone.

"Extras
2 oz real vanilla extract (too damned expensive to use more)
~ 1/4 cup Malto Dextrine"

Assuming these are post-boil additions, prior to adding to the fermenting vessel w/ water and yeast?

"Priming
4oz vanilla
2 oz Makers Mark Bourbon
.5 cups light DME
.25 cups honey"

Additions to the bottling bucket prior to bottling? All of those items taking the place of the priming sugars/tablets? I'd assume that it would still be required to boil the DME and honey (if not all 4) in some wort or water prior to addition to the bottling bucket, but again...we all know what assuming does...

Thanks in advance for any insight! Also, if I should have just gone ahead and posted this on the thread with the recipe, please let me know. I didn't see anything in the FAQ's specifying whether newbie questions about posted recipes should go for with the newbie questions, or with the recipe, or both...

The extras (malto dex and vanilla) go into the boil. I did them at 15 minutes left back when I made it just to sanitize. The priming list is to be used instead of other priming methods, just boil them together with some water you'll be good. Just cool and add to the bottling bucket and then rack the beer over and bottle.

Thanks!

How about the 1 pound Briess Caramel 60L, is that just steeped in a muslin bag prior to adding the DME?

Very sorry, missed that part...

He means for you to steep it like with kits, it's to add color and some caramel flavor. If it were a partial mash situation you'd have at least some base malts (2-row) in with it to aid in conversion.
This way (steeping) you get color and some flavor without complicating things. What I found to work fairly well, when I did extract, was to let the water come to a boil and either A) add the grains (in a bag of course) and cut the heat back to a steep temperature, usually the adding of grains will drastically cut the temp from 212*F to around 170* so all you have to do it maintain the temp. or B) bring the water up to heat until you start to see steam rise, add the grains and wait for the temp to come up, or C) add the grains when you start heating the water and cut the heat when it get's close to boiling. All the methods work, some save more time than others.

Back