Crossing Fingers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaylord500

Reaction score
Well, three weeks have passed. The first batch is ready to go into bottles this weekend. It's the Amarillo IPA.

I got a bunch of Bud Light bottles from the local beer place. The labels aren't coming off and they're also threaded for the screwtops. But the wing capper seems to be working okay on a test of them. Think it'll work on the day of doing it?

Oxyclean and water always take the labels off the bottles for me. let them soak over night and most of them just fall off.

From what i have read the screw top bottles will not work. You say the caper puts caps on them but are they able to hold pressure. I would say don't risk you time and money and get some non twist off bottles.

You have to ask yourself, is playing around with twist-off bottles and getting half-baked results really worth it in the long run. While I'd never advocate going out and spending hard-earned money needlessly, it's not that expensive to pick up some bottles. I've been picking up cases of 22oz. bottles (12 per case) for $12.39 at the local homebrew shop.

So yes, two cases added $25 to the cost of my first batch of beer, but I look at it like this: I'm planning to reuse them often, so the cost will amortize out.

(For what it's worth: I tried to get my co-workers to donate their gently used bottles to me, and that's when I found out that I'm the 3rd guy in the room to homebrew - so getting EMPTY bottles from co-workers will be a feat. But the FULL bottles they bring for me to empty and try are well worth the trade off. :drunk: )

I'll probably give no more than one or two of those bottles a try then. There isn't a LHBS anywhere in City limits, but the guy at the beer distributing place will sell me their discards for the bottle deposit. Will be more picky next time.

Comeon bro! Get a case of Brooklyn Lager and make it a fun night and rough morning!! Better yet, go to the Brooklyn Brewery. They're right in Williamsburg/Greenpoint. I'm sure if you go in there, they might hook you up with some empties.

In fact, I think they have some type of "Sample Night" on Fridays.

Back