Passow Brews: Stone Oatmeal Chocolate Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imaguitargod

Reaction score
So, I brewed last night and this one really took it out of me, loads of hard work. This was also the biggest grain bill that I’ve had so far so I had to split up the mash into two pots.
mash.jpg

Then I combined the two into one and added the hops (also the most hops I’ve ever had to use).
boil.jpg

And to cool it all down, I continently took the whole thing outside and stuck it in the snow, allowing the 3 degree weather to do it’s work cooling the wart. When all was done, this thing was stiiiiicccckky! I slightly undershot my original gravity (wanted 1.095 but got 1.074) but that’s ok. If you want the recipe, here it is (NOTE: I substituted Magnum for the Galana hops):

Recipe: Stone Bitter Cocoa Oatmeal Stout
Style: Specialty Beer
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.095 SG
Estimated Color: 41.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 52.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 47.91%
3 lbs 8.3 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 24.16 %
1 lbs 12.1 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 12.08 %
15.2 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.53 %
7.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)Grain 3.02 %
7.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 15L (15.0 SRM) Grain 3.02%3.8 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 1.63%
3.8 oz Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM)Grain 1.63%
0.25 oz Galena [12.00 %] (90 min)Hops 11.7 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [4.30 %] (60 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
0.40 oz Summit [18.10 %] (60 min)Hops 25.2 IBU
0.50 oz Ahtanum [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
3.25 oz Cocoa Powder (Boil 15.0 min Misc
White Labs WLP002 (English Ale)
Mash Schedule: 150

Mash at 150F. Boil for 90 minutes, adding hops and cocoa at times indicated. Ferment at 66F.

Ok, after a few sips of my hydrometer sample, I must say, this is a spot on Stone clone. Nice bitter chocolate taste mixed with the bitter Magnum hops and the black barley gives it that perfect burnt chocolate chip cookie taste that’s in the Stone Bitter Chocolate Stout. Right now, it’s way too young, but in a few weeks, and carbonated. Oh ya baby!

Wow, sounds incredible. You should consider putting the recipe in the recipe section if you havent already. I might have to give this one a try!

Well, I bottled it today, FG was 1.006 which means 8.9% abv. I'm a little dissapointed that it didn't finish with a higher gravity...but oh well.

I'm calling this brew "Passow's Stoned Clone". I;m going to open on in a week to see how carbination is going. Will report back.

passowstout.jpg

Ok, it’s ready. It’s almost absolutely perfect! The body is a little thinner than Stone’s but the taste is almost identical, burnt chocolate chip cookie taste and all! Medium head that lingers and lingers and eventually dies down to a white ring around the glass. This was one of the things I was worried about being affected by the use of real chocolate powder.

guitargod,

thanks for posting this recipe up, looked a long time for the extract version of this recipe and I think you hit it spot on. I was amazed by the amount of grains and crystal for steeping...pot was almost to the brim with only 2.5 gallons of water!!!

The samples I was tasting from the spoon on the occasional stirring was unreal (don't judge). I do not have a sweet tooth at all and I can already tell this will be a staple in the Schickengiggle household!

Have you done the AG version of this as well? would you recommend the AG for my first batch when I decide to do that in about a month?

thanks again

guitargod,

thanks for posting this recipe up, looked a long time for the extract version of this recipe and I think you hit it spot on. I was amazed by the amount of grains and crystal for steeping...pot was almost to the brim with only 2.5 gallons of water!!!

The samples I was tasting from the spoon on the occasional stirring was unreal (don't judge). I do not have a sweet tooth at all and I can already tell this will be a staple in the Schickengiggle household!

Have you done the AG version of this as well? would you recommend the AG for my first batch when I decide to do that in about a month?

thanks again
Hey dude! Very cool of you to brew this! As for the AG version, nope, I never did one. I would recomend you doing something simple for the first batch. Then tackle this when you get all the bugs worked out of the system.

That just looks like utter yummy deliciousness.. I like my stouts like I like my women..black, great head, and gets me drunk..:drunk:

I racked it into a secondary last night...2.5 inches is sediment in a bucket fermenter, holy lord

racked it with .1028 gravity, hopefully next Saturday it will be ready to keg. of course I had to put a little on it in a glass during transfer and after tasting it, I think guitargod said it best

It is incredible! It is incredible!

: tilts head at unnatural angle :

: dances around in forum naked :

Putting any sodium bicarbonate in your dark PM's IGGY?

I forgot to in my last stout, and I kicked myself (not easy to do) when I tasted that twang.

DAMMIT! I won't forget again.

I feel special knowing I contributed to your 1,000th post
HA! That was my 1,000th post!

Putting any sodium bicarbonate in your dark PM's IGGY?

I forgot to in my last stout, and I kicked myself (not easy to do) when I tasted that twang.

DAMMIT! I won't forget again.
Nope, no sodium bicarbonate.

In extract, the sodium bicarbonate is a must.

1 bottle left of my "tony05" stout, lol. Remember him?

It would be fantastic, except that the ph is off. Way too acidic.

And to cool it all down, I continently took the whole thing outside and stuck it in the snow, allowing the 3 degree weather to do it’s work cooling the wart.

Just an FYI

I tried this for my first brew and realized that snow is an insulator and sinking the pot doesn't really work for cooling. If you have snow, the best way I've found to cool wort is to get a rubber maid tote, fill a little ways with water, put the pot in, and scoop snow into the water. Will cool the wort way quicker.

Just an FYI

I tried this for my first brew and realized that snow is an insulator and sinking the pot doesn't really work for cooling. If you have snow, the best way I've found to cool wort is to get a rubber maid tote, fill a little ways with water, put the pot in, and scoop snow into the water. Will cool the wort way quicker.

Ya, I found that out many moons ago. ;)

I'm a noob at this, but this is by and far my favorite beer. SD has a lot to offer, but Stone's 12th is AMAZING. Stoked to see that someone has a recipe for it. Many thanks for the hard work already done!

Back