about 50L stainless steel keg being stainless or not

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billybrewer

Reaction score
Hello I have 50L sankey keg that I think is stainless steel but I can't tell if it is or not ????????

It is stainless, I am 99% sure and I haven't even seen the keg. Most major manufacturers have not made aluminum 15.5 gallon sankey kegs in over a decade. If your keg looks really old like 1980's old it might be, but the chances of an aluminum one still being in circulation today are small. If it is a newer coors, miller or anheiser bush keg you are in business.

Treat this keg as stainless steel, and start welding stuff on to it, if it melts into a puddle quickly when you are welding stuff on to it, it was by some miniscule chance aluminum and you ruined it, but this is fine since aluminum is worth a good bit as scrap metal. Sell the thing and buy a brewpot.

Oh and countdown to threadlock begins now...

i don't know what a sankey keg is, but if it's stainless steel, a magnet won't stick to it.

Of course, a magnet won't stick to aluminum either, but surely it's weight will tell you if it's aluminum or not.

Plus, aluminum scratches real easy.

Plus, if you rub a white ceramic coffee cup, or plate against it, and it leaves a mark like a silver pencil on the cup/plate, that won't ever come off, it's aluminum.

Pogo

not quite.

Martensitic stainless is magnetic.

That's why stainless kitchen knives stick on to those magnetic knife holders.

Keg are "typically" austensitic, however, so the change of magnet sticking to a stainless keg are quite low, though not impossible.

i don't know what a sankey keg is, but if it's stainless steel, a magnet won't stick to it.

Back