Adding brandy to a secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PWalk

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Currently I have 2 carboys in primary filled with a porter I've been working on. One is going the bourbon/vanilla route with oak cubes being used as well. But with my other I was thinking of adding a brandy of some sort, maybe a blackberry brandy into the secondary to see what type of results could be had.

My question is has anyone attempted this before and if yes how did it turn out? I'm thinking it'll give the porter some subtle notes and if combined with the fruitiness found in the flavored brandies maybe some dark fruit as well.

I appreciate any help with this in advance. I may just go for it in the tradition of the hobby and see what happens.

I've put Irish Mist Liqueur (2 cups in 2.5 gal) in an Irish Stout and it is FANTASTIC. Got to cut back on priming sugar next time since it has too much carbination due to the sugar in the IM. The IM is 35% ALC/VOL and it did not bother the yeast at all. I've also added Jager and wine to a few bottles at bottling time and those results were very promising and I will be working on those in the future. I'm considering making a wheat and splitting it up and adding different flavored schnapps to each.

Here's to tradition:mug: Go for it!!

Back