fermentation.. Getting stuck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeldomSeen

Reaction score
so I started brewing beer back in April.
Not sure I Can call myself a 'beginner' any more as I've done 10 batches so far.
However, looking at my notes from previous batches I have noticed a trend.

In almost every single batch I have brewed has had the SAME finishing gravity. Except for a couple of Black and Tan recipes the finishing gravity of the beers was 1.012.

EG a Pale Ale I made had a Original Gravity of 1.054, but the instructions said it should have been 1.044.
Finishing gravity on the Pale Ale should have been 1.008, but my measured gravity (over the last 3 measurements, over 4 days) has been 1.018, 1.012, and 1.012. (all measurements have been temp corrected).

My fermentation closet is pretty consistantly 70 degree F.

Am I getting stuck fermentation, or is all good?

I would say it has finished the first stage and now needs time to condition. I just leave my normal gravity (1.045 to 1.055) beers in the primary for 14 days every time and that works great. Mine finish around 1.010 to 1.012 too so I would say it's good. I do ferment at 65 to 66F and that has made the cleanest ales ever. Absolutly no off tastes.

Edit: I do not sample ales until they are at least 5 weeks. Aging makes a big difference. I have had ales for up to 10 weeks in a keg. They do start to loose considerable hop bitterness if not consumed within 3 months.

i also have been on a kick of rousing my yeast. Just swirl that bad boil (carboy) around and all the yeast get re suspended in the liquid. IMHO i think it helps.

Latest posts

Back