Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed it yesterday. Used a full pound of rice syrup solids and backed the Saaz down to half an ounce. My flat hydrometer sample was delicious.

I brewed a batch of this and hit all my numbers and kegged it up yesterday. I hope giving it more time helps cause right now it has hardly any flavor. Hoping bubbles do the trick.

after about 5 day I go to 70f for a couple days then cold crash and keg

this recipe I have in the glass at around 14 days

all the best

S_M

Ok thats what i wanted to hear!
My basement is cooler i had my cream ale down their it read 64 brought it upstairs where its warmer 68-70.I just want this batch turn out,my last one tasted like sour apples.
Thanks

Ok thats what i wanted to hear!
My basement is cooler i had my cream ale down their it read 64 brought it upstairs where its warmer 68-70.I just want this batch turn out,my last one tasted like sour apples.
Thanks

all the best with your brew I really like this recipe I am brewing 11.5 gallons tomorrow

most of the time I do two brews a day apart for 20 or so gallons in the kegs

but I have 11.5 gallons of a Vienna SMaSh going now

S_M

Just got done brewing a batch of this :) it is no chilling right now

I got a late start but this is such a quick brew for me

for me this is brew 12 of this recipe about 138 gallons, I do like this one a lot this is the second time I have used flake corn/rice

I have found I like it better then corn meal and minute rice, but that is just MHO

forgot today is cinco de mayo should brewed a Mexican beer :)

all the best and enjoy the day

S_M

So does the beer get better after its been on gas for awhile? Not sure if I screwed up or if it just needs to be carbonated?

What's wrong with it?

A grain bill and recipe rundown might help also. SG/FG, mash temps and as much detail as possible will help us help you with a conclusion.

AJ

Aj, my beer is kinda tastless. Batch size 5.5 gallons, ro water with 1tsp cacl. 6.5 lbs 2row, 1lb 12oz flaked corn, 12 Oz minute rice and 4.3 oz acid malt. 90 minute mash at 152 deg. Batch sparged, preboil gravity 1.038. 60 minute boil, post boil gravity 1.045. US05 yeast, rehydrated. Fermented at 65 deg. Final gravity 1.009.

Aj, my beer is kinda tastless. Batch size 5.5 gallons, ro water with 1tsp cacl. 6.5 lbs 2row, 1lb 12oz flaked corn, 12 Oz minute rice and 4.3 oz acid malt. 90 minute mash at 152 deg. Batch sparged, preboil gravity 1.038. 60 minute boil, post boil gravity 1.045. US05 yeast, rehydrated. Fermented at 65 deg. Final gravity 1.009.

Sorry, forgot about the hops, .5oz crystal and .5oz fuggle, both at 60 minutes and both pellets.

It all looks right. The only thing I would have done different would be upping the hops amounts, and possibly delaying one addition. Your recipe only hits 14.4 IBU's. You might want to try 1oz Fuggle at 60, and .5 oz of Crystal at 30, that bumps the IBU's to 21.1, which is in the green zone in BeerSmith.

The other thing to keep in mind... "my beer is kind tasteless" this recipe is targeted toward BMC drinkers and those, by HBer standards are "kinda tasteless" anyway, lol.

AJ

It all looks right. The only thing I would have done different would be upping the hops amounts, and possibly delaying one addition. Your recipe only hits 14.4 IBU's. You might want to try 1oz Fuggle at 60, and .5 oz of Crystal at 30, that bumps the IBU's to 21.1, which is in the green zone in BeerSmith.

The other thing to keep in mind... "my beer is kind tasteless" this recipe is targeted toward BMC drinkers and those, by HBer standards are "kinda tasteless" anyway, lol.

AJ

totally agree. The beer is targeted for BMC'ers who are adverse to flavor in their barley-water.

Try dry hopping it w/ an American hop like Cascade etc, in the keg to jazz it up.

I was wondering what would be the best temp for bottle conditioning this beer and for how long?!.
I had it sit in basement for couple days at 62F Fermenting then transfered upstairs where its warmer at 68F now has 2 more weeks to ferment.
Should i keep this temp for couple weeks then go back down to cooler temp when bottled?
Thanks

I was wondering what would be the best temp for bottle conditioning this beer and for how long?!.
I had it sit in basement for couple days at 62F Fermenting then transfered upstairs where its warmer at 68F now has 2 more weeks to ferment.
Should i keep this temp for couple weeks then go back down to cooler temp when bottled?
Thanks

I'm not sure about bottle conditioning. I do know when force carbing in keg, the colder the better.

Thanks

Carbonating bottles is pretty basic across all styles. Room temp is fine. Warmer will carb faster. Most aim for low 70s. After a few weeks when it's carbonated you can throw it in the fridge.

This beer is by far the best introduction to craft beer/homebrew that I've ever made. All my BMC drinking friends love it, so much so that one asked me to brew 10 gallons for his BBQ/Mayweather vs. Pacquio fight watching party last weekend. It was a big hit!!!

Now the real test .... I'm submitting two bottles of that same batch in the county fair's amateur brewer competition.

Stoked!!!

If you haven't brewed this yet, do it! It's a SWMBO fave too. Can't keep it in stock.

Cheers!

This beer is by far the best introduction to craft beer/homebrew that I've ever made. All my BMC drinking friends love it, so much so that one asked me to brew 10 gallons for his BBQ/Mayweather vs. Pacquio fight watching party last weekend. It was a big hit!!!

Now the real test .... I'm submitting two bottles of that same batch in the county fair's amateur brewer competition.

Stoked!!!

If you haven't brewed this yet, do it! It's a SWMBO fave too. Can't keep it in stock.

Cheers!

Do you follow the exact recipe? What about hop types do you use what they call for? Lastly do you use minute rice or flaked rice.Last question mashing what temp do you mash at? Sorry for many questions I will be making a 5.5 gallon one next week.. Cheers!

Do you follow the exact recipe? What about hop types do you use what they call for? Lastly do you use minute rice or flaked rice.Last question mashing what temp do you mash at? Sorry for many questions I will be making a 5.5 gallon one next week.. Cheers!

My BMC drinking dad loves having this on tap, just had a batch for the mayweather fight. Brewed with instant grits and instant rice, hops as the original recipe states

Just got done brewing a batch of this :) it is no chilling right now

I got a late start but this is such a quick brew for me

for me this is brew 12 of this recipe about 138 gallons, I do like this one a lot this is the second time I have used flake corn/rice

I have found I like it better then corn meal and minute rice, but that is just MHO

forgot today is cinco de mayo should brewed a Mexican beer :)

all the best and enjoy the day

S_M

Was "no chilling" a typo for now chilling, or did you just let it naturally cool? Unfortunately I did the latter for this batch for the first time, too tired after a few things went disastrously wrong. I obviously didn't get a cold break and mostly everything went into the fermentor. As of the transfer to secondary its remarkably clear because all the sediment and proteins dropped; but worried about chill haze because of the no chill. I was going to clear with gelatin but I haven't gotten around to it, but its been sitting for two weeks at 45. Figure I should go ahead and clarify or just bottle? Personally I don't care about chill haze but as it is a BMC converter batch I figure I might as well try for their sakes.

Was "no chilling" a typo for now chilling, or did you just let it naturally cool? Unfortunately I did the latter for this batch for the first time, too tired after a few things went disastrously wrong. I obviously didn't get a cold break and mostly everything went into the fermentor. As of the transfer to secondary its remarkably clear because all the sediment and proteins dropped; but worried about chill haze because of the no chill. I was going to clear with gelatin but I haven't gotten around to it, but its been sitting for two weeks at 45. Figure I should go ahead and clarify or just bottle? Personally I don't care about chill haze but as it is a BMC converter batch I figure I might as well try for their sakes.

no typo my friend no chill :) I will be getting my chiller out on Saturday to do a Vienna SMaSH

just kegged the no chill batch today at 9 am just drew a pint and it is pretty clear after a 3 day cold crash

I will purge it tomorrow at 9 pm and drop it to 12 psi and bump the severing temp to 38 - 40

all the best

S_M

no typo my friend no chill :) I will be getting my chiller out on Saturday to do a Vienna SMaSH

just kegged the no chill batch today at 9 am just drew a pint and it is pretty clear after a 3 day cold crash

I will purge it tomorrow at 9 pm and drop it to 12 psi and bump the severing temp to 38 - 40

all the best

S_M

Living life on the edge as well! Kudos. Yeah so far I haven't noticed any adverse effects but I don't plan on making a habit out of it. I will be bottling so I am sure I will have a bit of a different result in the end from you with your kegging setup. Best of luck with the SMaSH.

Brewed this last night and decided to use grits instead of flaked corn. I couldn't find instant grits so I used 5 minute grits and did my first, and probably last, cereal mash. There are no two ways about it, 2.25/lb for flaked corn is a friggin bargain compared to the time it takes to do a cereal mash and clean up afterwards! To those looking to save a few bucks I suggest making yourself a sandwich instead of going out to dinner and using the money saved to buy flaked corn! Or just hunt down a bag of instant grits, that would be OK too.:D

Living life on the edge as well! Kudos. Yeah so far I haven't noticed any adverse effects but I don't plan on making a habit out of it. I will be bottling so I am sure I will have a bit of a different result in the end from you with your kegging setup. Best of luck with the SMaSH.

started drinking this today after about 36 hour @ 30 psi purged and set to 12 psi

this is a great recipe 10 days grain to glass with a 3 day cold crash

a couple days at 12 psi and it will be perfect

all the best

S_M

this is my 11 batch of this recipe for 126.5 gallons

started drinking this today after about 36 hour @ 30 psi purged and set to 12 psi

this is a great recipe 10 days grain to glass with a 3 day cold crash

a couple days at 12 psi and it will be perfect

all the best

S_M

this is my 11 batch of this recipe for 126.5 gallons

Would love to see a pic posted here after first pour!

I have my 3rd batch on gas as of Wednesday past and will be ready by next weekend. Will post also.

AJ

This was my first AG batch. I made it per the original recipe. I ended with 10.5 gallons at 1.046 OG. I learned a lot and can't wait to do it again. I ended up doing a 2 hour mash because I waited to long to start heating the sparge water. I split it into 2x 5 gal batches. 1 with US 05 and the other was transferred onto a 1056 yeast cake.

Way to get started on AG! Love the pics, keep us posted on the results.

Brewed a version of this recipe today, 6 gallon volume:

8 lbs 2 row
1.5 lb corn meal #120 grind
1.5 lb minute rice

90 minute mash, 90 minute boil.

A bit more hops than called for, but I like that... the LHBS didn't have either of the hops called for, so I used these:

1 oz centennial 60mins
.5 oz tettnanger 15mins + irish moss 1tsp flaked
.5 oz tettnanger 5mins

I did a little whirlpool and got a really clean looking wort, but my final volume was too low and SG was 1.055 :drunk: . I topped up to 6 gallons and came out at 1.048 OG, BANG ON the calc I used!!!! :ban:

I've got this in the fermentation chamber fridge I built with the stc1000. It's already starting to get busy in there 3.5 hours after pitching. I have a feeling that this is going to be a good beer, I'm over the moon.

Thanks Bier Muncher for the great (and cheap) recipe. Going to be a house specialty I think, probably going to brew this every two weeks if it tastes as good as I think it will!!

20150518_171137.jpg

20150518_171218.jpg

20150518_173200.jpg

^^ CAan you tell me about that fermenter and fridge? IT looks like you didnt have to modify it too much.

Sure:

The ferementer is from a Cooper's beer making kit from Amazon. This was actually a gift from SWMBO for my birthday March 30. She's created a monster.

The fermenter Has a 30L total capacity, with probably enough room for a 7gallon batch with lots of headspace.

The fridge was free from a colleague who didn't want it in his office anymore. It had no freezer section, so I just removed the shelves, pop racks in the door and cut the centre rib from the inside of the door and taped it up with foil ductwork tape.

I put the STC1000 inside a project box from home depot and a "decora" outlet directly underneath (decora outlets are square faced, and much easier to cut holes in the cover panel to fit). The outlet is split (jumper tab removed) one side for cool, one side for heat. The temp probe that comes with the STC1000 is taped to the side of the fermenter, with a small towel over it to insulate it from the air around it.

Back