Kettle Insulation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aekdbbop

Reaction score
1. what kind of insulation works the best with a SS keggle. I have seen a lot of people with a reflective insulation. Where can I get it? Expensive?

2. Can I leave it on the mash tun while a flame is on? As long as it is not near the flame, i would think that it would be ok..

any tips with this would be great.. thanks!

Home Cheapo has some isulation stuff in their hot water heater area. I've gone there twice to pickup insulating stuff and came home satisfied. Not to bad on the price either.

I was wondering about this stuff. I want to insulate my boil kettle, but this stuff is rated up to 180 F. I know my stainless keggle won't get to 212 F, anyone who is using this want to weigh in? My keggle is electric, so I'm not worried about direct fire being applied. aekdbbop, the stuff I saw at Lowe's in the insulation aisle wasn't expensive.

HD also has self-stick duct insulation. Holds up well and cut a good 10 minutes off my time to boil tests with water.

Here's a boil on a 3 gal batch of Jamil's Red Ale I made last night...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV8t5iBiaEA]YouTube - Red Head Ale boil[/ame]

Get a roll of Reflectix from Lowe's. The roll of 16" wide will give you 4 layers and nearly enough left for another. It was $19 last month. Basically, it is fancy bubble wrap with a plasticized foil backing on both sides.
I had my MLT about 1-1/2" away from my BK during the boil. The insulation got hot enough to burn you in a small area without any apparent damage, so it seems to be the way to go.

Get a roll of Reflectix from Lowe's. The roll of 16" wide will give you 4 layers and nearly enough left for another. It was $19 last month. Basically, it is fancy bubble wrap with a plasticized foil backing on both sides.
I had my MLT about 1-1/2" away from my BK during the boil. The insulation got hot enough to burn you in a small area without any apparent damage, so it seems to be the way to go.

Sweet thanks! I'll look for some of that, hopefully menards has some, as they are on my way home.

Sweet thanks! I'll look for some of that, hopefully menards has some, as they are on my way home.

I think you will like it. Plus, there are no "insulating" materials that would be offensive to the finished product. That was my fear while looking at some of the alternatives mentioned in some of the threads floating around...

Back