Wort chiller too big for my brew pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

val214

Reaction score
Hey guys, Debating if This wort chiller is too big for my 40qt brew pot. I am brewing 5 gallon batches. it's 1/2" x 50'. Each coil is 8" in diameter. The coil itself is 20" tall. The total height of the wort chiller is 30".

image-785106685.jpg

No, you are fine. It will work.

Make sure your connections are well tightened. I've heard stories of people accidentally adding too much water because of leaky fittings.

That things a beaut! It'll work great, I always buy bigger than I need in case I ever step up my capacities..

That looks great! I had the leaking problem with mine and so I bent the inlet and outlet tubes so they drop down and outside. So my connections are well outside the kettle and water would have to climb uphill to get into the pot.

Hey guys thanks for the replies. I will have to brew this weekend and try it out.

eric19312 said:
That looks great! I had the leaking problem with mine and so I bent the inlet and outlet tubes so they drop down and outside. So my connections are well outside the kettle and water would have to climb uphill to get into the pot.

Thanks! Bending the outlets is a great idea.

Thanks! Bending the outlets is a great idea.

Amen to that. I soldered on some extentions to keep the cooling water away from my wort as a small spray of tap water could containinate the wort. I now use a therminator but have thought of going retro to the IC again. Recycling the wort with a Jamil Tube helps to hurry the cooling.:ban:

Back