bottles in dishwasher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crosschk

Working on a good one.....
Reaction score
Hello,

I had some bottles donated to me and I just got around to getting the labels and glue off (sierra nevada bottles) they feel like they still have some residue on them from the glue.

I was thinking of running them through the dishwasher to a) remove the residue and b) try the disinfecting setting on the dishwasher.

I am pretty sure I'm not to use dish soap and don't plan on it but what about the jet dry rinse agent? Will hat have any effect?

To remove the residue, I'd soak them in a strong[ish], hot (tap water hot) PBW solution (about 1.5-2oz per gallon) overnight. Remove one bottle, rinse in the sink and see how it comes out. I've had excellent results getting all kinds of things off of bottles, stainless, etc. with PBW. Next best thing would be scrubbing with some BKF.

Agreed. IME, heat + residue = even harder residue. Oxy/PBW will take most label glue right off.

Thanks again. How about using the dishwasher for the sanitizing? Any issues? What about the jetdry?

Thanks again. How about using the dishwasher for the sanitizing? Any issues? What about the jetdry?

IF you're going to put the bottles in the dishwasher to 'sanitize' then you don't want to use anything else in there (no detergent, no jetdry, etc.). IMO, it's a waste of resources to do so. Make up some StarSan solution, dunk them a few at a time (filling them inside), let sit for a minute or two, then pour out and put onto a sanitized (sprayed with StarSan solution) bottle tree until you're ready to fill them (that day, or within an hour or so).

I wouldn't trust a dishwasher to do a proper job of sanitizing my bottles (for when I bottle). Since I keg, I bottle either from keg, or tap. I sanitize a few bottles, chill them down, then get the carbonated brew into them. When I was bottling, I would do the process as outlined above. Never had an issue. I've had beer in bottles for over a year that are perfectly fine (higher ABV batches).

Good advice above. With a dishwasher, it's tough to ensure enough water at a high enough temp hits the inside of each bottle. And I don't think it's long enough for dry heat to kill. So it might be inconsistent.

Given how easy StarSan is, that's how most people roll. And if you get a vinator and bottle tree, sanitizing bottles is ridiculously easy.

When I bottle, I'd use the following procedure:

1. Clean all bottles thouroughly with a bottle brush.
  2. put them in the dish washer on a normal cycle but without any detergent of any kind.
  3. once the normal heated dry cycle was complete bring your dial back to the start of another heated dry cycle. (some dishwashers will let you go backwards, but most require you to just go through a normal cycle really fast)
  4. allow the bottles to cool!
  5. now your bottles should be completely cleaned and sanitized.

Normally I'd do this while brewing something else so that by the end of a brew day I'm ready to bottle something else.

Following up.

I was able to remove the little bit of residue with just some more hot water and a clean towel. So the bottles are all clean and ready to be sanitized.

That I will do the normal, no rinse sanitizer, method.

I wanted a quick way to do an initial cleansing after they were donated. I thought the dishwasher would work for the most part and maybe sanitize at the same time. I still may use, it if I can find a way to turn off the jetdry dispenser, for the initial cleaning.

Thanx for helping out a newbie.

From brew #1 some time ago, I have used my dishwasher to sanitize my bottles before filling them. I have had absolutely no problems whatsoever. I'll grant you that soaking bottles in StarSan is quick and easy...but so is loading the dishwasher and turning it on. It is the temperature of the heated drying cycle that actually does the sanitizing.

glenn514:mug:

I'm with Glenn, have never had any problems with sanitizing in the dishwasher. If I have a bottle with stubborn crud, or a label I'm trying to remove, a good soak in warm water Oxyclean/One-Step + bottle brush does the trick.

Looking at investing in a bottle tree now, however, since SWMBO is getting in to wine making and it's tough fitting 30 wine bottles in the bin.

For those that have used the dishwasher, how long do you wait to bottle? Can you do it right away when they are hot?

I let them cool to the touch. Just be sure to look in your owners manual to see what dishwasher setting is NSF approved for sanitation. Not all of them are. I have a really nice, super quiet Bosch and only my the pot/pan scrub setting is NSF approved. And it takes two hours. (btw - not tying to impress, just pointing out that how much you spend on a dishwasher has no impact on its ability to sanitize)

Also, don't expect the dishwasher to clean the inside of your bottles. You have to do that on your own...

I have a fairly new dishwasher, about 2 years old but I will look into that. Thanx

The bottles have already been clean so I got that done at least :)

barnhs said:
I let them cool to the touch. Just be sure to look in your owners manual to see what dishwasher setting is NSF approved for sanitation. Not all of them are. I have a really nice, super quiet Bosch and only my the pot/pan scrub setting is NSF approved. And it takes two hours. (btw - not tying to impress, just pointing out that how much you spend on a dishwasher has no impact on its ability to sanitize)

Also, don't expect the dishwasher to clean the inside of your bottles. You have to do that on your own...

Oh...and I also heard this the other day. I know a guy who says after a few heat cycles in the dishwasher, his bottles get brittle and break when he tries to open them. Not sure if he using bottles from the LHBS, or recycling empties from the grocery. Anyone else ever have this problem?

barnhs said:
Oh...and I also heard this the other day. I know a guy who says after a few heat cycles in the dishwasher, his bottles get brittle and break when he tries to open them. Not sure if he using bottles from the LHBS, or recycling empties from the grocery. Anyone else ever have this problem?

Is it posible he was using twist offs?

I'm with barnhs on the topic of how long to wait after the dishwasher cycle is completed. I wait until the bottles are cooled down enough to handle comfortably. And I use the opened door of my dishwasher as my bottling "table." Then, when I'm finished, clean-up is amazingly easy...just close the dishwasher door!

glenn514 said:
I'm with barnhs on the topic of how long to wait after the dishwasher cycle is completed. I wait until the bottles are cooled down enough to handle comfortably. And I use the opened door of my dishwasher as my bottling "table." Then, when I'm finished, clean-up is amazingly easy...just close the dishwasher door!

Funny the tricks you can pick up just poking around these forums...the dishwasher door for a bottling table is outstanding, I've pissed off my wife many times by using her bath towels to clean up the mess on the floor!

glenn514 said:

Have you ever heard of the bottles becoming brittle?

Have you ever heard of the bottles becoming brittle?

Do your drinking glasses, wine glasses or other even more delicate types of glassware become brittle after years of cycles through the dishwasher ?

Mine haven't so far and I have glasses dating back to the 40's.

OMO

bosco

Now that you mention it, big friggen duh. I obviously have left my thinking brain home this morning

But they also don't get sanitized with high heat

I use the faucet jet to clean out the insides and inspect my bottles before I load them into the diswasher to run. Works very well, no problems after many batches. I would suggest the sticky on bottling from this site as it helped me super efficent and clean in my bottling.

I might go a little over board when it comes to sanitation. I Pre wash in Oxyclean soak for overnight, remove labels, use a bottle washer to rinse the inside, let air dry.

When its time for bottling I place the bottle in the dishwasher and run the sani/anti bac program with no detergent and wait 2 hours for them to be cleaned of dust. I then submerge them in sanitation solution for 2 mins let air dry.

I havent had any issues with taste at all. Its a long process but I have over 200 bottles ready to be used.

In bottles: Red Hook Blonde
up next: SMaSH

Dohhh! Good point on my other glasses being brittle. I'll assume the guy who told me that was just too drunk to use the bottle opener at the time.

Also, great mention on the dishwasher door. I do the same thing, and it works awesome.

"No. But getting the "feel" of my Red Baron capper did cause me to shorten several bottles! I just cranked on the handles a bit too hard"

Same here. Snapped the neck off the first bottle I did by bearing down with my capper. Stopped for a second thought about it, and haven't had a problem since.

Back