Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I could live off nothing but Guinness and the Golden Corral buffet. I think some TV show should pay me to try THAT experiment for a month...

Last time we were at Golden Corral SWMBO went to the steak counter and asked what kind of steak it was, the guy serving it got a puzzled look and replied "steak?" in an unsure voice. She won't go back now lol.

Just last night from a friend while drinking a Labatt's Blue: "I hate lagers"

When I informed him that he was drinking one, he said: "No, lagers are like Sam Adams"

Just last night I was in a bar drinking an ipa, and this guy next to me chatted me up. After questioning me about the ipa, he proceeded to tell me about how he and his buddy in the Navy went around the world drinking the "local" beer.

Big long story short, he ended it by saying "but I don't like that Sam adams crap at all", and when I asked which Sam adams beer he didn't like, he said "well you know, Sam adams... like Boston lager?" (everyone around could tell that he was knocking Sam adams simply for the sake of conversation, and had probably drank bmc all over the world)

Excuse me! I thought this was America! ;)

I can't eat buffet food...something about it does not agree. Might be too many things at once. Or all the wings...

My family and I will be leaving to eat at a buffet very shortly. The local National Park Lodge has a special buffet of American game food once a year.

There will be:
Buffalo steaks and roasts
Buffalo meat loaf
Venison and rabbit stew
Catfish
Turtle soup
...I could go on. All of it prepared under the supervision of a professional chef. Buffet eating is the bees-knees tonight. And yeah, the whole family will eat until we can't see straight. :cross:

I went to the LHBS and was buying some bulk grain. A couple of guys came in and the owner went to help them while another regular and I chatted. I heard the two customers asking about wort chillers and kegs for their hobby. When they leave the owner tells us that they ignored every bit of instruction they read and what he had suggested as well with their initial extract kit. Seems that they were "drinking" under fermented wort that was under a week old out of the primary... Yeah.

I lol'd

Funny thing about buffets... most people don't realize it, but you actually are not required to eat to the near-puking stage of satiety. They will actually allow you to have a light salad and a little baked fish, maybe with some fruit for dessert, and call it a night. :D

Something else they don't tell you. they give you smaller plates so you take less, and put the cheaper more filling foods towards the beginning of the line.

My family and I will be leaving to eat at a buffet very shortly. The local National Park Lodge has a special buffet of American game food once a year.

There will be:
Buffalo meat loaf
Venison and rabbit stew
Catfish
Turtle soup
...I could go on. All of it prepared under the supervision of a professional chef. Buffet eating is the bees-knees tonight. And yeah, the whole family will eat until we can't see straight. :cross:

That's more like it!

Sounds amazing. What is the beer situation like?

There will be:
Buffalo meat loaf
Venison and rabbit stew
Catfish
Turtle soup

Add in some roasted dove breast, whole fried bream, wild hog sausages, fried venison, fried rabbit, fried rattlesnake, steamed river mussels, clams, gulf seafood, and I'd be game. Get a taste of the country. Fried. I do wonder how a real buffalo tastes, Though... care to write us a review?

And do they have APA'S on tap? :)

I like venison burgers, but you have to mix it with a certain percentage of wild hog for it to be really great. If anyone wants my opinion, just ask and I'll tell the percentage on here.

I like venison burgers, but you have to mix it with a certain percentage of wild hog for it to be really great. If anyone wants my opinion, just ask and I'll tell the percentage on here.

I'd be interested in what percentage you use , not wild but i butcher a couple hogs a year

Didn't hear it, but just saw it. At this sorta dive bar in Madison ALL the pint glasses are in a freezer.

There will be:
Buffalo meat loaf
Venison and rabbit stew
Catfish
Turtle soup

Now that's a buffet! Throw in some duck and I'd be in heaven.

Funny thing about buffets... most people don't realize it, but you actually are not required to eat to the near-puking stage of satiety. They will actually allow you to have a light salad and a little baked fish, maybe with some fruit for dessert, and call it a night. :D

They should have a "I'm not a fat ass, but I like your food" option. Maybe a single plate option. I would take that every time.

There will be:

Buffalo meat loaf

Venison and rabbit stew

Catfish

Turtle soup

Wow! I would love to try all of those things!

They should have a "I'm not a fat ass, but I like your food" option. Maybe a single plate option. I would take that every time.

Instead of the usual one price for all-you-can-stuff-into-your-pie-hole arrangement, buffet restaurants should charge by the pound. Load up your plate and weigh it at checkout. Make sure the scale displays the amount on a huge display, so that everyone else in line can have some lulz at the glutton checking out with 6 lbs. of food. :cross:

Instead of the usual one price for all-you-can-stuff-into-your-pie-hole arrangement, buffet restaurants should charge by the pound. Load up your plate and weigh it at checkout. Make sure the scale displays the amount on a huge display, so that everyone else in line can have some lulz at the glutton checking out with 6 lbs. of food. :cross:

I weigh about 130 and I will gladly stuff my pie hole with 6 lbs of food. Thank you metabolism!

I'd be interested in what percentage you use , not wild but i butcher a couple hogs a year

35% hog and 65% venison. "Wild" or "tame" hog works, even though there's no real difference lol.

Add some jalapeños and white cheese to the grinder and it's an awesome combination if you like sweet heat! :)

Sounds right, i use 40-60 split for summer sausages every year and the jalapeño cheddar ones are by far the favorite

You do need to add some fat to venison to round it out when making sausage or ground patties.

The best venison sausage I ever ate was seasoned like a brat with hot pepper to make it a bit spicy. I'm not sure the exact percentage of the mix with pork fat, but it was perfect. It seemed fairly lean but was juicy and had a nice snap when you took a bite. The mouthfeel wasn't dry at all while still appearing like you was eating something fairly lean.

When I harvest venison myself I typically cut the best parts into steaks. The hams and other parts are made into either sausage or burger meat with the help of some pork fat from a local meat processing house.

Of course the inner lions, or "sweet bread" as we call it, is never made into anything other than a celebration on my smoker grill. You have to be a really really good friend to be invited to dinner the night we cook that. lol :)

EDIT: I suppose I could give my personal mixture of pork fat to venison when I'm making ground meat from it. I like a 30|70 mixture. 30% pork fat to 70% ground venison when making burgers. I don't make my own sausage, I farm that out to the local meat processing place. I never asked what they do, I'm just happy with the results.

Funny things you've heard about wild game sausage. :)

But hey - the good part - it pairs with every single beer style out there :) Well, everything except the raspberry, tutti fruiti, doggie dookie, triple IPA stout.

My gf was at a bar with some friends. She ordered a Weihenstephan Hefe and some guy thought he'd lay down some beer knowledge to impress her. From what I understand it went something like this:

"Hey thats a great beer, you know its from Germany?"

"Yeah"

"They add bananas to it before they send it here, thats why its tastes like that"

"Yeah I'm sure it has nothing to do with the bavarian hefeweizen yeast"

Then she slept with him anyway. Oh well.

Funny things you've heard about wild game sausage. :)

But hey - the good part - it pairs with every single beer style out there :) Well, everything except the raspberry, tutti fruiti, doggie dookie, triple IPA stout.
dude! gross! who would add raspberries to a tutti fruiti, doggie dookie, triple IPA stout?!?

My gf was at a bar with some friends. She ordered a Weihenstephan Hefe and some guy thought he'd lay down some beer knowledge to impress her. From what I understand it went something like this:

"Hey thats a great beer, you know its from Germany?"

"Yeah"

"They add bananas to it before they send it here, thats why its tastes like that"

"Yeah I'm sure it has nothing to do with the bavarian hefeweizen yeast"

Then she slept with him anyway. Oh well.

you were that guy, eh?

I went with my girlfriend (now wife) to a frozen yogurt place after lunch one time. I didn't see any different sizes and thought it was a one price per cup so naturally I loaded up with enough toppings to make the thing look like a train wreck. Then I saw the scale.
Most expensive frozen treat I've ever had.

Not exactly hilarious but back on topic: wife and I went to a local brewery for the first time yesterday. The brewer was very gracious and took some time to talk to us and give us a tour (also had some pretty kickass beer too, but that's for another thread). He got to telling us some stories of Dbag patrons. One apparently started giving him tips on how to improve some of his beers.
Now I'm all for constructive criticism, but giving unwanted tips to a guy that owns his own freaking brewery with over 20 years experience that is enjoying a lot of success in his new business just seems pretty dumb.

I went with my girlfriend (now wife) to a frozen yogurt place after lunch one time. I didn't see any different sizes and thought it was a one price per cup so naturally I loaded up with enough toppings to make the thing look like a train wreck. Then I saw the scale.

Most expensive frozen treat I've ever had.

Hah! I made the exact same mistake my first time in one of those places. Never doing that again.

I went to the LHBS and was buying some bulk grain. A couple of guys came in and the owner went to help them while another regular and I chatted. I heard the two customers asking about wort chillers and kegs for their hobby. When they leave the owner tells us that they ignored every bit of instruction they read and what he had suggested as well with their initial extract kit. Seems that they were "drinking" under fermented wort that was under a week old out of the primary... Yeah.

I lol'd

I suppose there should be a regular list of indications this hobby is not for you, starting with:

This Hobby is Not For You if:

• ...you can't follow basic instructions

Can you think of any others?

Just last night I was in a bar drinking an ipa, and this guy next to me chatted me up. After questioning me about the ipa, he proceeded to tell me about how he and his buddy in the Navy went around the world drinking the "local" beer.

Big long story short, he ended it by saying "but I don't like that Sam adams crap at all", and when I asked which Sam adams beer he didn't like, he said "well you know, Sam adams... like Boston lager?" (everyone around could tell that he was knocking Sam adams simply for the sake of conversation, and had probably drank bmc all over the world)

Then there are the guys who drank beer overseas where some of the beers list the OG on the label in degrees plato: "We were drinking beer in Blah Blah that was 14% alcohol"!

Not sure if it was funny or correct, but on Saturday while milling my grains at the LBHS I overheard an employee showing a new customer around. It went like this:

"And here we have the base grains, the German ones are on the right. We have two types of German Pilsner, Weyermann's and Avangard. The Weyermann's is a bit more expensive, but they are both made in Germany. The big difference is that Weyermann's is only for export, no one in Germany uses them."

Seeing as Weyermann is one of the oldest malting companies I know of and is known to provide the smoked malt for the local Rauchbier, I just have to call bull on that. I think what is going on is that they got the Avangard in a few months ago (maybe 6-8) and it doesn't seem to sell as well despite being a bit cheaper than the Weyermann.

Back