Easy Brew!-Cat's Pajamas Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monk

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Nottingham
Yeast Starter
None
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
15 days/64F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Additional Fermentation
None
The Cat’s Pajamas
4.5 gallon batch/2.5 gallon boil
60 min boil

6 oz. Crystal 60L
2 oz. Chocolate
.5 lbs. American 2 row
6 lbs. Amber LME

.5 oz. Centennial (9.4%aa) 60 min
.5 oz. Cascade 10 min
.5 oz. Centennial 10 min
.3 oz. Cascade 0 min
.7 oz. Centennial 0 min

1.050-1.012
30 IBU
17.63 SRM
5% abv

Wow. I have to say that this is one of the best beers I've ever made. I wish it was an all grain brew, but it isn't. Honestly, I don't know what Alexander's uses in there amber LME, but this turned out awesome. I'm normally hypercritical, too.

Procedure:
Mash/steep the grains in 1 gallon of 152F water for 45 minutes. Strain and rinse with 1 gallon of 170F water. Add half the LME and mix until it's dissolved. Add water if necessary to get 2.5 gallons total. Boil until the hotbreak dies down, then add the bittering hops. Follow the hop schedule, and add the rest of the LME when you have about 20 min left in the boil. Let the timer go during the time it takes to bring back the boil. Pitch a pack of Nottingham yeast and try to keep the ambient temp around 62-64F. Higher might work well too. Give it plenty of time to ferment out--it will look done after about 2-3 days. Let it sit. For me, I bottled it out of the primary after 15 days. After conditioning for 1 week it was fabulous. Lightly carbonate.

Monk

has anyone else ever tried this? ready to drink just after 20 days? sounds to good to be true
im trying to find me a good amber ale recipe for my first beer brew ether extract or partial mash

Back