Show us your Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a small update to mine. Finally got around to installing a stout faucet. With any luck I'll turn this into a fermenter and pick up a smaller chest freezer this year to make something a little nicer.

IMG_20160107_191226788.jpg

Nice use of hockey sticks for a glass rail.

Is that fan mounted on the inside wall just for air circulation?

Thanks, when I got it the thing had sat outside for a couple years and the glass rails rusted and were broken off, so I had to figure out a way to replace them. Yes, the original stock fan was in that location, I replaced it with a bigger lighted fan.

I really like how you framed in the taps/back splash/drip tray. I'm a coffin top guy myself but I'm digging this keezer with collar mounted taps. Nice job!

Thanks. I didn't go with the coffin because of the hinged lid and it hitting the wall behind when opened. They do look good.

Thanks. I didn't go with the coffin because of the hinged lid and it hitting the wall behind when opened. They do look good.

Yep I can dig it. Everything has it's tradeoffs. I have to roll mine away from the wall every time I need to go inside it.

That is a gorgeous tap gang. Did you build it or buy it?

Built it. Started with a raw 4" copper plumbing pipe, cut it down and soldered up flanges, then drew and centering line, then punched center marks for the holes, then made a jig to hold it tight while drilling the holes on the drill press, polished everything to a mirror finish, assembled. Getting shanks installed in side was a pain in the butt!

The connections are all tri clamp, this was a deliberate decision because it's what I use in my brewery for everything and the brewery is going to be built into my bar when the whole project is finished.

Built it. Started with a raw 4" copper plumbing pipe, cut it down and soldered up flanges, then drew and centering line, then punched center marks for the holes, then made a jig to hold it tight while drilling the holes on the drill press, polished everything to a mirror finish, assembled. Getting shanks installed in side was a pain in the butt!

The connections are all tri clamp, this was a deliberate decision because it's what I use in my brewery for everything and the brewery is going to be built into my bar when the whole project is finished.

Awesome job! That's one professional looking build.

:mug:

Here's mine, eventually it will be just the tower with the fridge in another room and a glycol trunk running 20'. Currently it is air cooled.

I'm with everyone else on this beauty but with that length of copper, I'd imagine the fist pint of each beer is going to be ambient temp won't it?
I mean if you had a hole in the lid and circulating air from the fridge/keezer into the copper, the pipe would sweat like a bugger wouldn't it?

Don't get me wrong, I love the look but combating sweating is something I'm trying to get my head around for my build.

I'm with everyone else on this beauty but with that length of copper, I'd imagine the fist pint of each beer is going to be ambient temp won't it?
I mean if you had a hole in the lid and circulating air from the fridge/keezer into the copper, the pipe would sweat like a bugger wouldn't it?

Don't get me wrong, I love the look but combating sweating is something I'm trying to get my head around for my build.

The way I see it, you will either combat sweating, which means your faucets are chilled, or you will combat foaming if your faucets are not chilled. The only way I can think around this would be to remove as much humidity from the room as possible so that you could chill the faucets without appreciable sweating occurring.

The way I see it, you will either combat sweating, which means your faucets are chilled, or you will combat foaming if your faucets are not chilled. The only way I can think around this would be to remove as much humidity from the room as possible so that you could chill the faucets without appreciable sweating occurring.

I use a small blower, the hose runs all the way to the end of the pipe and returns air back. I have only had sweating one time and it was during three days of rain with very high humidity. I have coated the pipe with Renaissance Wax to help prevent patina.

View attachment 1453335119309.jpg

View attachment 1453335171578.jpg

I use a small blower, the hose runs all the way to the end of the pipe and returns air back. I have only had sweating one time and it was during three days of rain with very high humidity. I have coated the pipe with Renaissance Wax to help prevent patina.

Sounds like you have fairly low humidity in the room that you are serving in, which is great!

Also, a great choice with the Renaissance Wax. I use it with some of my wood turning projects; a little bit goes a long way, which is good because the stuff is so expensive!

I personally prefer to deal with foaming issues, as when I tried to chill my coffin box in the past, it caused the window AC unit in the walk-in to freeze up (my coffin box isn't sealed as well as the rest of the chamber, and I am just not that worried about the coffin box itself). I just use the flow control to limit the amount of foaming while the faucet itself is still warm, then open it up a bit as the faucet chills. This is one reason why I really like the 650ss faucets! (only thing I didn't like was the cost, as I have 14 on the coffin box, and two more on my keg direct draw setups)

Here's my contribution to the thread. I Had a chest freezer I wasn't using so I put it to good use. Holiday 7 cu ft freezer with 650ss Perilicks. Working on adding a third tap and installing the Ebay aquarium temp controller unit.

What a great idea running the hose to the end as separate ducting line! Never thought of that and always pictured my build to have a separate supply and return line. This opens more possibilities for a creative build! :mug:

What a great idea running the hose to the end as separate ducting line! Never thought of that and always pictured my build to have a separate supply and return line. This opens more possibilities for a creative build! :mug:

As long as your blower produces enough static pressure to force the air back you're in good shape.

Just got back into brewing after a 5 year hiatus and rebuilt my kegerator. This time I built a "tray" for the kegerator to roll around on, added a 6" collar with another 4" collar stacked on top to hide the lid seam and cover the edges of the corrugated metal. Oh, and I also covered the front with corrugated metal, the sized with cedar fencing sanded and stained with a weathered grey stain. The top is covered with a cut-to-size 1/4" sheet of oak plywood trimmed with poplar. I only have two taps right now since I'm not brewing often enough to warrant more, but I have a 4-way distributor incase I want to carb and serve multiple kegs, or add a couple of extra taps further down the line. Also, the tap handles are made of slices of Louisiana cypress.

Right side:
5q7Jj9f.jpg

Front:
SMaLChb.jpg

Tap Handles:
MbKpG4v.jpg

Left Side:
sPULF2R.jpg

Inside:
PwSo663.jpg

I like that one a lot, but i gotta ask, does that fan move much air mounted that way?

I need to wire in my aux power off my STC-100 and mount a fan in my ferm chamber, so it's been on my mind.

I like that one a lot, but i gotta ask, does that fan move much air mounted that way?

I need to wire in my aux power off my STC-100 and mount a fan in my ferm chamber, so it's been on my mind.

No clue, honestly. It's mounted on 1" spacers but it's the best location I could find. Maybe I'm just thinking about it too much but side mounting the fan seemed like a broken fan waiting to happen so I chose the lid/spacer setup.

No clue, honestly. It's mounted on 1" spacers but it's the best location I could find. Maybe I'm just thinking about it too much but side mounting the fan seemed like a broken fan waiting to happen so I chose the lid/spacer setup.

A spacer makes much more sense, I assumed flush mounted to the lid for some reason...

Excellent use of up-cycling. They look like they're finished really well. I'll have to keep something like that in mind when I finish my keezer.

Old Classical guitar that broke years ago that I had been carrying around. Figured I would finally put it to use lol

Very cool tap handles. It's exciting stuff to finish the build and pull the first pint...
You might want to consider getting some rare earth magnets and making a magnetic drip tray. It doesn't take very many drops of beer on concrete to start mold growing.

Sorry for dumb question, but have you got 5x5gal cornys in there, beskone?

Yup :tank: I think if I really squeezed em in I could fit a 6th. But as I built it 4 on the floor and 1 on the hump with room for a 6 pack as well.

Latest posts

Back