Not-so-mystery hops brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mk010101

Reaction score
I have a unique chance of testing a variety of locally grown hops (native, yet there is a lack of information and the owner wants to know what we can use these hops for.) All the hops have been tested for their alpha properties, so making a balanced beer should be relatively easy.

So, from what I know #1, it's easy to know what aroma hops will give by crushing them and doing a smell test. #2 bittering is fairly simple as we know the alpha %. The last thing we need to know is flavor imparted and that is only known in making a brew with them and trying it out. So my question is that: what type of beer should be made so as to be able to test out the flavors? I was thinking of a simple, quick aging English Bitter, Belgium Saison or Pale Ale. I would try to brew 2-3 of the same grain bill, yeast, bittering hop and just do different flavor hops. Then do a drink test.

Any thoughts on this? What am I missing?!?

My first thought was a PA so you get a real idea what the hops are like.

Interesting.

Brent

I agree,a pale ale's lighter malt profile would show case the hop's abilities a lot more than a very malty EB or the like.

Thanks. I decided a simple 2row pale ale with a 1/2 lb. of crystal 40 using magnum hops to bitter would be a good base. I will then try certain variations on the flavoring hops at 15 min and 5 min aroma hops additions. Should be light enough to let the hops shine through!

Back