would carb tabs=blttle bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grrtt78

Reaction score
i bottled a pale ale and wen i did it i realized i didnt hav enough sugar but i already sanitized everything so i figured i would try it just to see how it turned out as an experiment and recarb later. i put in a little under a half cup of dextrose and there is some fizz but no head. i figured i would add the lttle carb tabs and recap but since there is some carbonation would that lead to bottle bombs?

A word of advice -- don' t try to 'add' to existing carbonation. It doesn't work very well. If you try to add a carb drop to an already carbonated (even partially carbonated beer), you will just get gushers. You can guess how I know this. :cross:

Best thing to do is vent all the bottles when they are at room temperature, let them sit, agitate a bit and vent again and let them sit. Then add a full carb drop to each one and recap.

You might get away with chilling them REALLY cold, then adding a half or quarter drop, if you don't want to go through the venting procedure. I have never tried.

Also, look for something that used to be called Prime Tabs (Muntons now makes them as a product called CarbTabs). They are smaller 'pellets' of sugar than carb drops, and you are meant to put multiple ones in your beer. The number depends on how big a bottle and how much carbonation you want. They give you much better control than those big carb drops. Plus, I always found that carb drops over-carbed my beer unless I used a big (17 or 22 oz) bottles.

Back