Does anyone love or despise Anchor Steam?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kansasbrew

Reaction score
I was at a liquor store with a bit more choice. Unfortunately, I searched in vain to find and try an ESB (my latest quest). But, I found the legendary Anchor Steam. For ten dollars a six pack, it was a bit more expensive than others, but I wanted the experience. The beer was hard to describe, because it seemed to be missing any distinctive flavor notes--just seemed like a thin, dry, relatively tasteless beer. Was I missing something? Maybe it was just a fluke. Any one have a different opinion? Is this beer in anyone's top ten?

i get some of the bitterness, but not too much hop flavor. a little, but not much. i still like it ok though.

The steam beer style is a lagerish ale - smooth, balanced. I have enjoyed Anchor Steam and didn't find it thin or flavorless. Not my favorite style or beer, but enjoyable.

First one I had way back in the 80's was on tap in SF and great. When I lived in SF I always enjoyed the beer. But since home brewing I find that it is bland for my tastes, but still very drinkable. Although I have yet to do a clone, I'd bet that a home brewed version would be an excellent drinking beer. Might have to brew one soon.

I like them! I had a sixer about a month ago. It's relatively "clean" and lager-ish in mouthfeel but it's good a good flavor in my opinion. I can taste the hops and malt easily, and enjoy them.

Maybe you got an old six-pack?

I had one a few weeks ago on draft (I am on the opposite coast). I also thought it was rather flavorless.

One of my favorites! I brew a steam beer all the time. SWMBO loves this beer when I brew it. It is my house beer.

never had it on draught. but i've had it several places in the bottle. i guess i could have gotten old ones each time. i doubt it. either way it was good. yeah, its kinda light, but i think thats what they were going for. i enjoy them.

I had one or two before and thought they were pretty good. Probably about on par with Fullers ESB as far as how much I like them. Interesting flavor. Not quite an Ale, not quite a lager IMO. But I haven't been tempted too much to try and replicate the beer at home either.

Never been a fan of the Steam.

However I think their Porter is absolutely world class.
Liberty Ale and Old Foghorn are solid as well.

I suspect Anchor Steam doesn't travel very well. I think in the Bay Area, on tap and/or when it's fresh is pretty good. Get a bottle that's been sitting on a shelf for a few months, and it's a different story.

I think it goes really well with seafood.

I suspect Anchor Steam doesn't travel very well. I think in the Bay Area, on tap and/or when it's fresh is pretty good. Get a bottle that's been sitting on a shelf for a few months, and it's a different story.

I think it goes really well with seafood.

+1

Love it fresh, not very shelf stable IMO.

Great with pizza, if you ask me.

I've had it on draft and I'm not too far from the source. I've always found it to be mediocre.

I'll be visiting the brewery in 2 weeks so I'll keep you guys posted if it changes my life fresh from the source.

Tastes pretty bland to me. It's not bad but for the price I can think of a ton of other beer I would rather have that aren't as boring.

Like it or hate it. Give props, like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Anchor steam is an American original and BJCP guideline staple.

I like the Anchor offerings. They can taste thin if you're staple beers include IIPAs and dark strongs.... They have a very cool brewery if you can get on a tour. I don't buy it anymore - lost a bit of magic after they sold out. Not that I thought Fritz was some sort of genius or anything, just a rich guy who spent a lot of $$$ on making an old style brewery come to life. I think the beers have a place in the spectrum of offerings out there.

i think its bland and boring. any non beer bar that pours anchor around here also pours SNPA and most of the time Lagunitas IPA, theres no point wasting the stomach space IMO. also my opinion, but the only beers worth your time from anchor are the porter and the barleywine

I was at a liquor store with a bit more choice. Unfortunately, I searched in vain to find and try an ESB (my latest quest). But, I found the legendary Anchor Steam. For ten dollars a six pack, it was a bit more expensive than others, but I wanted the experience. The beer was hard to describe, because it seemed to be missing any distinctive flavor notes--just seemed like a thin, dry, relatively tasteless beer. Was I missing something? Maybe it was just a fluke. Any one have a different opinion? Is this beer in anyone's top ten?

I noticed the exact same thing. I tried it thinking I'd like it and it tasted like nothing. Just had nothing unique about it, couldn't really taste anything in it. I was very disappointed.

Just had a bottle the other day. True, it's not the most intensely flavored beer out there, but it is smooth and refreshing. I like it.

I despise the fact that they're the only ones that can legally use "steam beer"....Just because they managed to "revive" the technique at a point in time they could get away with trademarking something like that.....

See my sig...lol

It sounds like you picked up and old and/or stale sample of Anchor Steam. When fresh, it is very good. Try some on tap if you can.

I could take it or leave it. Of course I had it amidst a handful of bigger IPAs so I should probably give it another shot to make sure it gets a fair shake. My wife enjoyed it though, and so did her mom...

I'm entirely indifferent to it. If it's on tap and I'm eating oysters or sushi, it's a good fit. I would never buy it in the store. Too many other options.

To me its a average beer, I go to a couple places and 1 place carries it. Out of a 100 beers I'd probably buy it again in the summer, maybe this spring when it gets warmer...

I "grew up" with Anchor Steam in the Bay Area. it seemed like it was a staple just about everywhere out there. I used to drink it quite a bit and still like it a lot. Now you got me craving it so I must go to the store and find some....I hate this place.....:drunk:

beerloaf

i enjoy it for what it is

it's got great drinkability that just about anyone can enjoy - enough flavor to be better than BMC but not so much that it turns a lot of people off

got a CC that I'm about to bottle that I look forward to sharing with my BMC friends

It's tasted kind of old every time I've ever had it. I haven't been impressed, but would try it fresh if I was in the bay area.

I "grew up" with Anchor Steam in the Bay Area. it seemed like it was a staple just about everywhere out there. I used to drink it quite a bit and still like it a lot. Now you got me craving it so I must go to the store and find some....I hate this place.....:drunk:

beerloaf

you'd have to be from the Bay Area to know which bay you are talking about:D i downed many a pint there at the lancaster dispensing company back in the day.
oh, i don't like anchor steam.

When it's good, it's pretty dang good. Take it on its own terms.

Enjoy the effervescent bubbling action...it's just about the most carbonated American beer I can think of. Awesome with thick-cut potato chips, BTW.

When it's bad, yuck.

I've decided only to drink it when a) I know exactly how old it is or b) I'm in California.

One sixer off the shelf in Michigan tasted like wet cardboard.

Back