stupid servers in stupid restaurants

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...enable the stupid servers in stupid restaurants to continue to be stupid!

Stupid! :drunk:

This very thing is accomplished by venting on a forum instead of communicating to the owner/manager.
At the risk of getting "ignored" I don't know how so many people have enough time on their hands to be able to rent this kind of space in their heads over beer...

This very thing is accomplished by venting on a forum instead of communicating to the owner/manager.
At the risk of getting "ignored" I don't know how so many people have enough time on their hands to be able to rent this kind of space in their heads over beer...

its weird right? how someone could spend time on something so trivial? like worrying about proper use of a word, or worrying about what someone else is worried about?.... wait...what are you doing?

its weird right? how someone could spend time on something so trivial? like worrying about proper use of a word, or worrying about what someone else is worried about?.... wait...what are you doing?

Certain people like to complain and put down others who complain, it's the way of life for some.

Certain people like to complain and put down others who complain, it's the way of life for some.

And the rest of us don't want to hear complainers complaining if they are not going to do something about what they are complaining about.

assholier than thou. yes! (am i on the list?) what does the ignore button do? sounds awsome

It is indeed a handy feature. Click on the person's name, go to "View Public Profile" and there, at the upper right, just under the IAM.HBT is the "Block" button. It keeps you from seeing the annoying person's posts. As I said, I've used it . . . let me check . . . three times over the last five years of participation on HBT. Each time I've been a happier person for it. The fact that they have posted in a thread is still visible, so you can, if you so choose, read their posts. I find, though, that those who deserve the Ignore button generally deserve it across the board.

And the rest of us don't want to hear complainers complaining if they are not going to do something about what they are complaining about.

figured it out for you.

It is indeed a handy feature. Click on the person's name, go to "View Public Profile" and there, at the upper right, just under the IAM.HBT is the "Block" button. It keeps you from seeing the annoying person's posts. As I said, I've used it . . . let me check . . . three times over the last five years of participation on HBT. Each time I've been a happier person for it. The fact that they have posted in a thread is still visible, so you can, if you so choose, read their posts. I find, though, that those who deserve the Ignore button generally deserve it across the board.

problem solved

I don't think I agree with anything that has been said so far... Or maybe I do, I've got to discuss it with myself first. Oh and I have definitely enjoyed some of the server conversations. Next time I get a hamsteak for breakfast, I'll have to inquire of it's Kosher status.

I was at our local Zea's with my 8 month pregnant wife. I ordered one of their craft brews (forgot witch one it was, they are all made by a Louisiana local brewery and all are good). The waitress was an extremely cute, college girl who was trying to show off by saying a thing or two about the beer. She said she was a hospitality major and "we have to know a lot of stuff about beer". When she was pouring it she was concentrating on what she was doing intently! She looked at me and said as seriously as possible "I am trying to give you the best head that I can!" I almost choked on my Ti Ribs! I smiled and nodded. My wife just shook her head.

Man, here in Milwaukee I am very lucky to have several awesome craft beer bars that have bartenders who know EVERYTHING about everything they serve. I tell the bartender, "I'm in the mood for X," and she'll bring over five samples of X, plus a sample of Y because she remembers me and knows I'd like Y. Well, another craft brew bar opened up and it's veeery different. When I was there, waiters didn't know sh**. I heard them getting the pep talk from the host about what's on tap, and they just repeated everything he said to the customers. My waitress said everything was an IPA. Guy behind me asks "What's Goose Island 312?" "It's an IPA." Cripes.

When she was pouring it she was concentrating on what she was doing intently! She looked at me and said as seriously as possible "I am trying to give you the best head that I can!" I almost choked on my Ti Ribs! I smiled and nodded. My wife just shook her head.

Love it! I hope you gave her a huge tip.:rockin:

My friends from the St. Paul area were visiting so of course we went to the bar. He had never had New Glarus before and asked our waitress what Fat Squirrel was like. "It's kind of nutty, so if you like nuts . . . . . in your mouth." I don't think the implications of what she said ever occurred to her.

So this brings me to a couple points:

I'm a little annoyed with bars/restaurants that put lemon/orange in the beers that I order. It's not a deal breaker but it's still a little annoying. My girlfriend knows now to just grab it and eat it before I say anything :p

THEN, I went to a bar downtown, it was a slow week night, me and a large group of friends went down there for a get-together. We were pretty much the only people in this place. After ordering 1 boulevard wheat (and being given 2, to which the bartender specifically TOLD ME that I had ordered 2. At this point I wanted to leave but no one else did so I hung out) and drinking it, I saw they had Goose Island on tap on special. I asked the bartender what Goose Island it was and she said "It's goose island." "Goose Island makes alot of beers, do you know which one it is?" and she replied that they changed it out all the time and she couldn't keep up.

Come on, this place had like 5-6 beers on tap, memorize them. If it was a recent change and you don't know or can't remember then look on the damn keg it's not like she was swamped.

And yes I've noticed the import thing too although it doesn't bother me so much. I REALLY wish places that are going to have a decent beer selection would have a full beer menu. I understand these places sell more than beer and it can be a pain for a waitress to remember every beer they sell, so why not print em out? Seems to be the best solution to me.

I remember being in a restaurant recently.. looking at the tiny bar far away in the corner of the restaurant I could see a tap handle that said "...LAGER...." (could not make out the rest of it). I asked the server what it was, she said it was "Harpoon IPA" I said, that is an Ale, I want to know what's on the lager tap handle. I then had to educate the other 3 at the table that of the 20,000 some different styles of beer, all beer can be classified as either an ale or a lager, and one is not the other...

I get sick of having to ask for a glass with my beer at 80% of the places around here.

Now that I think about it, I remember seeing a bartender at a local restaurant going out of his way to make sure that the sediment from bottle conditioned beers got into the glass. I was drinking tap beer, but I watched as this guy would pour 80% of a bottle then swirl it around and dump the rest into the glass. Not hefeweizens, either. Everything.

I get sick of having to ask for a glass with my beer at 80% of the places around here.

I love doing this. I hate belittling waitstaff so making them get me a glass is perfect. I blame the manager. I really like having a nice beer list to look over. The most common response when asking what beers do you have "The usual stuff, Miller Lite...". Pisses me off. Water please.

Ha, this happened to me just a couple of days ago. College girl says "Our domestic pitchers ar $5".
Me: "I'll have a pitcher of Sam Adams."
Her: "It's an import and is $8."
Me: "But it's from Massachusetts."
Her: "Oh, well that's what they charge."
Me: *Jokingly* "I demand to speak to management."
Her: Unamused look and walk away.

Now that I think about it, I remember seeing a bartender at a local restaurant going out of his way to make sure that the sediment from bottle conditioned beers got into the glass. I was drinking tap beer, but I watched as this guy would pour 80% of a bottle then swirl it around and dump the rest into the glass. Not hefeweizens, either. Everything.

I've seen guys do this and I think they just don't know which beers are bottle conditioned. It's their way of giving the bear a head. They'll pour 80% real slow and get no head then swirl the last bit around and basically pour the foam on top.

A bar I used to go to infrequently called Shiner Bock an import...I talked the bartender into selling it to me for "domestic" prices...

"Import? That stuff's made in Texas! Just look at the label."
"Oh yeah, you're right! $2.50 please..."

This thread reminds me why I quit working in foodservice.

A bar I used to go to infrequently called Shiner Bock an import...I talked the bartender into selling it to me for "domestic" prices...

"Import? That stuff's made in Texas! Just look at the label."
"Oh yeah, you're right! $2.50 please..."

The bigger issue here is them calling it beer.

kjung said:
By "impossible", he meant "I'm too lazy to do something like that." There's a pub that opened in my town at the end of last summer, catering to the craft beer market. They not only have brand new beer lists every day, one for taps and another for bottles, they update their FB page and website EVERY TIME they change a beer. All it takes is a little effort...which just might be asking too much.

So you think that he should just let her go on being misinformed, and subsequently misinforming others?
She's a waitress. Knowing about the beer that she serves, as well as the food, is a large part of her job! Not knowing the definition of "imported" is a sign that A) she's an idiot, B) the school system she went through is horrible, or C) (what seems like the most likely choice) she just doesn't give a damn about doing her job properly.

I don't think it has anything to do with "beer snobbery." It has to do with expecting someone to know their job. Period.

Then why take you frustration out on the young girl that's in front of you? You should go to the manager that's obviously not giving the server the tools they need to perform their job properly. The young lady can only do what she is trained and if the restaurant doesn't give a crap why should it's employees??

I've seen guys do this and I think they just don't know which beers are bottle conditioned. It's their way of giving the bear a head. They'll pour 80% real slow and get no head then swirl the last bit around and basically pour the foam on top.
You may want to be careful frequenting that bar. I'd imagine a bear getting head could be quite un-predictable and dangerous. :p

Then why take you frustration out on the young girl that's in front of you? You should go to the manager that's obviously not giving the server the tools they need to perform their job properly. The young lady can only do what she is trained and if the restaurant doesn't give a crap why should it's employees??
A manager should have to explain the meaning of the word "import" to an adult..

in general, the waiters/waitresses are getting their information from the menu. if its listed as an import, thats what theyre going to say. what i usually do is just ask what they have available for craft beers. problem solved. i could give a $&*t less about what they have as far as budweiser or coors light or miller lite as i dont drink that. so i eliminate the confusion right from the get go. even though i dont necessarily consider some of the beers they call craft beers to actually be craft beers, i generally just let it go, and drink my beer.

The wait staff is just parroting whatever they've been trained to say or whatever is on the menu. I wouldn't try to make them feel stupid for saying what they've been trained. If I worked in food service and my boss says that Sam Adams is "Import" then SA is gunna be an Import.

Back