Oud Bruin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EnsignMorituri

Reaction score
Hello,

This weekend I took ownership of a carboy of Oud Bruin. It was brewed on March 20, 2010, from Randy Mosher's RadBrew recipe. Sacc pitched was Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes. On April 20, it was racked to secondary, at which point we threw in a Roselaere blend.

For the first time since that day, the seal was cracked and I pulled enough for a gravity reading (1.008) and a good sample.

Aroma - slight sourness with some fruitiness. I'm happy.

Appearance - very clear reddish brown. I'm happy.

Taste - predominantly sour. Very little in malt or fruitiness to balance. These flavors did make an appearance as I drank the sample, but I'm not sure if they were there, or were simply a product of wishful thinking.

Will carbonating this brew bring out the subtleties of the style? They're there, aromatically at least.

Will letting the brew sit for another several months bring out the other flavors, or will it simply continue to sour?

I hesitate to add any more fermentables, since it's already pretty thin. Maybe some commercial dregs? I have access to Rodenbach Grand Cru and Duchess du Bourgogne.

This is my first sour brew, as well as my first post on these boards.

Please let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks so much and happy brewing!

1008 isnt that low, it could drop a couple more points, as far as flavors carbonation will bring some out but dont expect a lot,

for the next one i would suggest adding the dregs of a couple sours, however both beers you have are pasteurized and dont have anything to offer, I would also suggest pitching the cake from this beer at the beginning

1008 isnt that low, it could drop a couple more points, as far as flavors carbonation will bring some out but dont expect a lot,

So, assuming it drops a few more points, it will sour even more, or will the complexity of the style start to come through a bit? It's my understanding that a well-aged Oud Bruin will impart a vinous character, which I would be very happy to have.

for the next one i would suggest adding the dregs of a couple sours, however both beers you have are pasteurized and dont have anything to offer, I would also suggest pitching the cake from this beer at the beginning

After posting, I remembered that we have a small selection of Cantillon available as well, but the price is currently prohibitive for my budget. I do have a Cantillon Kriek cellared, but I want to wait a few years to crack it. I'll definitely recycle this cake when the time is right.

Thanks so much!

Can you get some Jolly pumpkin? JP is usually a very aggressive souring culture, cantillon while a great beer usually doesnt have much viable in it after the long aging

Can you get some Jolly pumpkin? JP is usually a very aggressive souring culture
I can vouch for this.

I doubt they carry JP in Regina. I was in Saskatoon for a week in November and good, God it's cold up there.

Back