stopping fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeithMoonsLiver

Reaction score
A bit different than similar topics I found while searching- what would be the best way of permanently stopping the yeast mid-fermentation without significantly altering the chemical makeup of the beer? Wary of using heat for that reason. Beer does not need to be drinkable.

I don't understand... your not gonna drink it?

Camden tablets will kill your yeast and stop the ferment. But why would you want to do that?

Camden tablets will kill your yeast and stop the ferment. But why would you want to do that?

I thought about cambden, but wouldn't that alter the chemical makeup of the beer?

Actually heat wouldn't, it would just evaporate the alcohol away...that wouldn't significantly change the beer.

i'd like to take samples of a beer over its fermentation period plus a week or two afterwards, then measure the vicinal diketone levels and plot how it progresses over time. of course, if the yeast in the samples i take are still working it won't work.

I thought about cambden, but wouldn't that alter the chemical makeup of the beer?

Actually heat wouldn't, it would just evaporate the alcohol away...that wouldn't significantly change the beer.

You see, I think removing the alcohol is a bigger change. But I may have different goals then the OP.

So really to give a good answer we need to know what your wanting to achieve

i thought i had read that campden tablets wouldn't stop fermentation, only stop the yeast from reproducing, but maybe i am confusing that with potassium sorbate. the problem with heat is i think diacetyl will evaporate as well- but maybe i'm wrong.

i'd like to take samples of a beer over its fermentation period plus a week or two afterwards, then measure the vicinal diketone levels and plot how it progresses over time. of course, if the yeast in the samples i take are still working it won't work.

send Charlie Bamforth an email [email protected] He will probably be able to help you.

i thought i had read that campden tablets wouldn't stop fermentation, only stop the yeast from reproducing, but maybe i am confusing that with potassium sorbate. the problem with heat is i think diacetyl will evaporate as well- but maybe i'm wrong.

I would think either cambden or sorbate or any chemical would alter the beer. But that's why trying to figure out your goal would be helpful.

But I'm not sure there is any way to truly stop the yeast without altering the beer. Except maybe killing the yeast off by having the attempt for ferment a high grav wort.

I would think either cambden or sorbate or any chemical would alter the beer. But that's why trying to figure out your goal would be helpful.

But I'm not sure there is any way to truly stop the yeast without altering the beer. Except maybe killing the yeast off by having the attempt for ferment a high grav wort.

"not alter" is probably the wrong term, I just meant that I didn't want to evaporate things by using heat.

Wouldn't cold crashing it to below 35 degrees F significantly slowing yeast activity; effectively stopping fermentation?

But once you warm it back up fermentation will continue, taking it near freezing won't kill ALL the yeast, many will simply go dormant. Then they will be back fermenting again.

Yes, I will need to keep it cold until I can prepare the samples which involves distillation.

Back