oxygenating my wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

centralpabrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently came accross a medical oxygen cylinder. I got a medical oxygen regulator 0-8 LPM 50 PSI. The regulator has a dial on the end with .12, .5, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, etc settings. Any idea what setting and for how long I would need to go to get the proper amount of oxygen in the wort?

Thanks

All you need is this: http://morebeer.com/view_product/18252/103750/Diffusion_Stone_-_2_Micron_Oxygen_Stone

Thread some airline tubing through your racking cane and attach the stone too it. Voila an oxygenation wand for cheap. The regulator is measured in liters/minute. The Brew Wizard has calculated how much to use here: http://***********/stories/wizard/a...xygen-canisters-safe-for-homebrewing-aeration. Set your regulator to 0.12 and oxygenate for ~ 60 seconds and you should be good to go.

GT

I would say your biggest issue is with that cylinder. Unless you have a back door key, your not going to get that tank refilled without a script for O2. Just something to think about.

Thanks for the replies. I already have a oxygen stone. I currenlty use one of those small disposable oxygen tanks you can buy at hardware stores.

I haven't really thought about getting it refilled yet. I guess I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

FWIW I have eperimented and recorded fermentation performance with O2 injection and .5 SCFH for 3 minutes into 6 gallons 1.055 wort gives rated attenuation for most ale yeast varieties. More O2 injection duration and attenuation goes up quickly, higher flow rate yeilds less O2 in wort (O2 lost in foam on top), a quick blast is a waste of O2 as it makes bubbles and does not absorb.
I used a dwyer .5 - 2SCFH flow meter inline with SS air stone to inject the O2 so I could keep the flow constant and change duration to change O2 levels, the goal was repeatable fermentation performance with O2 injection.

Thanks for the replies. I already have a oxygen stone. I currenlty use one of those small disposable oxygen tanks you can buy at hardware stores.

I haven't really thought about getting it refilled yet. I guess I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

Yea, I did the same thing. When I first started injecting O2, I got a hold of a med tank too. I still have the empty tank. I was unaware at the time cause I was not a member nor did I visit the internet for home brew info. Now I just use my shop O2 from my torch setup.

I am gonna make a bell out of that old tank some day.

Monti, they make one hell of a bell I saw one hanging by a chain on a 3" box tube hoop stand. I saw this at a "Nature Store" with a leather hammer going for $975. All natural down to the rusted finish.

Monti, they make one hell of a bell I saw one hanging by a chain on a 3" box tube hoop stand. I saw this at a "Nature Store" with a leather hammer going for $975. All natural down to the rusted finish.

I know this is OT, sorry.

That's why I want to make one. I have a couple dead cylinders I plan to do this with. I plan on using a hockey puck for the ringer.

FWIW I have eperimented and recorded fermentation performance with O2 injection and .5 SCFH for 3 minutes into 6 gallons 1.055 wort gives rated attenuation for most ale yeast varieties. More O2 injection duration and attenuation goes up quickly, higher flow rate yeilds less O2 in wort (O2 lost in foam on top), a quick blast is a waste of O2 as it makes bubbles and does not absorb.
I used a dwyer .5 - 2SCFH flow meter inline with SS air stone to inject the O2 so I could keep the flow constant and change duration to change O2 levels, the goal was repeatable fermentation performance with O2 injection.

kladue; this above .5 SCFM your stating is near the maximum useful amount of O2 per 6 gallons plus the time without under or over (wasting O2) to oxygenate the correct amount? Any difference using a .5 vs a 2 micron filter as well a 1.090 to 1.120 SG wort should I ever go this big of a SG? I'm thinking a higher pressure is required for the .5 micron vs a 2 micron SS stone. If my maths correct this would come to 14.16 L/Min using a medical ball flow meter. I have a Timeter Group ULO-15 meter, .5 to 15 LPM @50 psi.
Using your numbers I get 2.36 LPM per/gallon as a guideline. Thanks, Carl.

Sorry to aid the derail, but can Aluminum tanks be made into bells? I've got a bunch of those that need a project.

The flow rate needs to be low enough to just see bubbles at the stone, if you are making a head of foam then the O2 is not absorbed and is lost out the top. The testing was done with ready to pitch vials to keep initial cell count as even as possible, O2 time was adjusted and results noted. Fastest fermentation during testing was 36 hours to terminal gravity with an 1.040 Og. english bitter, 30% loss in foam and a final gravity of 1.002.

Sorry to aid the derail, but can Aluminum tanks be made into bells? I've got a bunch of those that need a project.

I bet they're made of 7075 T6 aluminum my guess, they will ring but not as clean, clear and long as a big long steel cylinder. Man they will ring down low in pitch if you cut the top off not the bottom and weld a big chain with 3-5 links to suspend it. You want a soft hammer not something hard as it changes the gong sound to a metallic ring sound. Now my turn to go OT Oh
Chit Oh Dear not the first time LOL!

So I cut the bottom off. It was a ~4" cylinder. It ran, but was awful tinny. Thats kind of what I expected. Any ideas what to do with a cut cylinder now?

I am gonna make a bell out of that old tank some day.

I made a wind chime out of an old 72 CF steel scuba tank. I just cut the bottom off with a band saw and used a 3/4" pipe plug in place of the tank valve. I drilled through the plug and installed an eye bolt. I drilled a hole horizontally through the bottom end of the eye bolt to attache some braided nylon line and suspended the clapper disc from that. It works best to cut the circular clapper so there is about 1/4" of clearance around it. This way, only a slight breeze is required to make it ring. It sounds like the bell on a harbor bouy. I built it about 15 years ago and it's still hanging off of the patio deck. Never fails to get a comment out of visitors, especially if there's even a slight breeze. I thought it might be too obnoxious to use when I first made it, but It's actually quite pleasant and not at all loud enough to disturb anyone even when it gets very windy. I sanded it down and gave it a coat of automotive primer then a couple of coats of Rustoleum black satin paint for the top coat. I have a much larger oxygen tank that I have similar plans for. It's about four feet long and I cut about 22" off the bottom. The plan is to make two chimes out of this tank, using the cut off section for a second chime. I'm trying to come up with something a little different for them, but have not settled on a final design just yet.

Dang only 36 hours as I had a couple that stopped on me. making more notes at this end.
Monti; using 1" EMT x 5 different lengths suspended with stainless fishing leader line makes the best sounding wind chimes. My old one is over 30 years old and still sounds great. It goes nuts in a windstorm driving the neighbors crazy.

Back