Capping twist off bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earwig

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am a 'Beer of the Month' club member and 1/2 of this months brew came with bottles - capped with normal caps on bottles with twist off glass heads... meaning, the top of the bottle is threaded. Can I reuse these bottles and use normal caps on them the same way the microbrewery did or should I just recycle these? Thanks.

It depends. Do you have a bench capper? From what I've heard, that's what you need to successfully cap twist-offs. The wing capper doesn't cut it. At least not with 100% success.

You can use them if the have a thick neck beneath the cap. Look at Budweiser or almost any poptop bottles. The have like a 1/2in thicker part at the top. You can reuse these. Budweiser bottles work, but Coors dont work. I guess hard to describe but look at pics and you'll see what i'm talking about. You need something for the wind capper to grab onto.m

Which club do you belong to? Mine showed up with all poptops, but I also exclusively get international brews with mine.

Latest posts

Back