How much beer is too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I have more than a couple I always feel terrible for work the next day so I try to limit myself to one a night then on Friday and Saturday I'll have a few and sleep in a little later. If I have more than three or four I always need a good size cup of coffee in the morning to get going.

It's too much when it starts affecting your life...

That's what I say, but I assume that by any accepted metric that I'm an alcoholic. I don't keep track, I go to bed too early to get more than 5 in me, but I have at least one every night.

I dislike drinking when the sun is out and there is the possibility that I'll have to go outside. Anyone else do this?

If I have more than three or four I always need a good size cup of coffee in the morning to get going.

I tend to think that this has more to do with dehydration than anything. I tend to feel just fine if I remember to drink a glass of water every 2 drinks if I'm going at it. It's harder to do with beer because it's more filling.

Hey, ever notice that people who drink coors light can drink til the cows come home and feel OK the next day? That's probably why, mostly water.:D

I'm in college, I have no moral issues with pulling the tap handle at 9am before I go to class. I drink everyday at least a few beers and go out during the week a few times. I can be up till 3am hammered drunk, wake up feeling like a million pesos and bike to class. A beer in the morning after that doesn't hurt anything.

I really don't think I could possibly drink any more without becoming a totally worthless alcoholic. But I still booze like a champ, get all my stuff done and hold my grades up.

SO I would have to say there is no amount to much. Its solely up to each individual to determine his or her own level of inebriation!

Trust me buddy, as someone who can pack it away as much as you, it gets worse the older you get. Next mornin aint so good as it was in my 20s. I'm only 31 now, but you get me.

Rock on (but not too the point that you permanently damage your cell walls!):fro:

Not exactly true. I mentioned on page two about this. Wine is definitely the healthiest. Medically documented. It's the least caloric and has the highest amount of beneficial antioxidants, mostly resveratrol.

I have heard many times (I am in wine distribution) from people that their doctors have told them that they need to have a glass of red wine every day and that's the only reason they are in the store buying wine and they never were wine drinkers prior.

Something I haven't read yet is regarding brewers yeast which is taken as a dietary suppliment for it's vitamin B content. Haven't read that about beer as much.

There are certainly concepts regarding the additional substances - but I was referring to the ethanol itself - consumption in general is associated with better outcomes (in the aforementioned moderation). So we can't feel too bad about beer over wine on most occasions.

We are all so uniquely different, so there is no way to answer how much is too much. I'm 47, and I've probably drank somewhere between 30,000 and 40,000 bottles of beer. I'm in good shape, I exercise every day, and I eat a well-balanced diet. I'm of Irish descent, so that probably helps (provided that Darwin was correct). But there is a downside......I can't stay in the sun longer than 30 minutes before burning. Tough liver, weakass skin.

There is a lot of info out there about moderate beer and wine consumption benefiting your health. I average between 1 and 2 a day. Except yknow sometimes when it piles up and you drink 10 or 15. I think that that is good for you once in awhile too but I'm not a doctor.

I always liked the way my father put it:

They say one glass of wine is good for you. Good, have a glass.

Have a second, maybe not as good for you. But the first one was, so they cancel each other out.

Have another, big deal so you had one glass of wine!

Anyway, I agree that how you handle the rest of your life is a better (not perfect) indicator of a possible drinking problem. That being said, there are a lot of functional alcoholics out there too.

I'll say this:

Drinking every day does not mean you are an alcoholic.

Just because you don't drink every day doesn't mean you are not an alcoholic.

Physical dependence is not the only measure of addiction.

Alcoholism is not "just a lack of will power."

I could go on, but people tend to get sick of hearing all I have to say on addiction. I even have a problem with saying "If you constantly ask yourself 'Is my drinking a problem?'" then it most likely is. That may be true for some people, but I know that I ask myself that question all the time. So far, the answer is still no. But it can't hurt to keep yourself in check.

Personally, I drink often but not regularly. What I mean is some days I'll have one with dinner, and no more. Others 3 0r 4. On some Friday or Saturdays, I'll get really drunk.

I am always frustrated by the typical college attitude concerning drinking. As a freshman, I would constantly have people say to me "Your DRINKING? It's MONDAY NIGHT!!!" as I drank a beer while watching a movie. Yet that same person would be out on Saturday getting hammered, puking on themselves and wasting Sunday due to a hangover.

Keep in mind, I often do the same thing (minus the puking). What frustrates me is that most students tend to measure their "responsibility" by what day of the week they choose to drink. Drinking all day every day on Saturday is normal, but splitting a bottle of wine with friends over Wednesday night's dinner is unacceptable.

Back