Hard Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just did a racking of a cider after two weeks. I then put another cider on part of the yeast cake. the champagne yeast will make it quite dry and don't be surprised if you have to wait about a year till it tastes good. Or back sweeten. That cider will have to mellow a little. If you do it again try using a beer yeast or a red wine yeast. Other than that it looks like you are on the right track.

I had one bottle that was 5 years old. It tasted like a apple chardonnay. It had a great apple nose and a nice buttery apple with a slight oak characteristic. It was awesome. wish I had more..
Are you going to bottle with magnum bottles or just 750ml? Have you been hitting the recycling places for wine bottles?

I will be doing mostly 750mls. But I will bulk age for at least 3-4 months prior to bottling. If I can be patient enough I will wait to bottle around 6 months from start of fermentation to get a good idea of where the cider is going. At that point I can try adding in some spices to individual bottles (i.e. mix a gallon with spices and bottle condition 5 750mls to see how the flavor profile pans out). I planned to do it for the bulk aging, but I had a lot of must to rack and got lost in the effort :)

I have been hitting my friends for wine bottles! I saved up and sanitized about 100 ish but still have a way to go. Cool thing is... tomorrow I am heading to a wine bottle wholesaler and picking up the rest of the bottles I need. Great prices on the bottles. They start at under $6 a case and up depending on the type if I remember right.

Can you say... dedicated room for a wine cellar?

Like you say, my ciders taste like white wines almost. More a wine than a beer by far. But when they mature they are very tasty and the apple notes come out. I have finally started adding in things to play with the flavors, but before have just enjoyed the wines. The apple blend makes the wine.

I want to continue with large pressings for several years instead of small ones so I can build up an aged cache. It helps having a friend who is interested too - adds to the fun, and helps with the costs :)

I would get into beer I think, but it is expensive to make. One of the reasons I got into cider was to save some money, and I love growing my apples. Love beer, but will only infrequently brew it when it costs about the same (or more) to buy it in the store.... my .02

Thank You. I appreciate it! Any specific type of ale yeast? I was going to go with Nottingham next.

I am going to try safale-05 on my next test batch as well. Most people who do ale yeasts for cider use that or nottingham on this forum.

That said, trying something new will never hurt. White labs is also highly respected with thier english cider one.

I did use the English cider yeast for a cider that i forced carbed. It turned out a little drier than i liked. It is tasting better now that it has been sitting for almost 2 months. I am going to bottle some for thanksgiving to share with the family.

Very cool - sharing the quality brew it was it is all about :)

I just ordered an upgrade (Italian Champagne floor corker). It does wine, champagne and I bought the attachement for capping too. Very excited about it because I have been using the ghetto hand corker with a rubber mallet for too long ha! Then off to pick up my champagne/wine and beer bottles.

I will finally get to making some Graff this holiday weekend. Been putting it off and finally going to pull the trigger.

I love it when a plan comes together! haha

Ok I cracked the 6 year old bottle of cider yesterday. I had a few friends over while brewing a blond ale to help enjoy some ciders. It had a soft apple nose with a medium body and a slight hint of oak. the only problem with the cider was it was the last bottle. It had a great golden color and was extremely clear.

19 Days since I started fermentation. Measured out at 1.000 tonight so it's in the secondary. Still very overpowering vapor, but from tasting it seems like it has a lot of potential. I'm excited to try this again in a month or so!

i cracked a bottle that I made almost a year ago with champagne yeast. it is still a little young but is tasting a lot better. the flavors are blending quite nicely.

This will be my 2nd batch of hard cider. Although I received rave reviews for the 1st batch, I felt there needed to be more substance in this one. Tried going with a 4 gallon heat and mix for the brown sugar just to ensure a full mixture and cooled to 75 before pitching. Will add the last gallon with 2 cinnamon sticks and oak in the secondary for some active but flavorful additions. Hoping for a Labor Day ready BBQ batch this year.
Last batch ended up too dry for my tastes and didn't have the oak, so am hoping for a sweeter but more substantial finish.

Thanks for the recipe!

Sorry to drag up an old thread....however, I made this recipe 4 months ago and now would like to bottle in 1.5 gallon glass jugs. Do I need to add anything when bottling?

This will be my 2nd batch of hard cider. Although I received rave reviews for the 1st batch, I felt there needed to be more substance in this one. Tried going with a 4 gallon heat and mix for the brown sugar just to ensure a full mixture and cooled to 75 before pitching. Will add the last gallon with 2 cinnamon sticks and oak in the secondary for some active but flavorful additions. Hoping for a Labor Day ready BBQ batch this year.
Last batch ended up too dry for my tastes and didn't have the oak, so am hoping for a sweeter but more substantial finish.

Thanks for the recipe!

Just wondering how this one came out?

johnnyo1977 said:
Nope to have it still just bottle. I have not tried to carb it. If any one does or did please let me know.

I added some carb tabs to it. Came out nice. I only added half of what the label said to add for beer and it about blew the flip top off when I opened it! Im glad I didn't add the whole amount. Very nice recipe. My wife really likes it.

I was going to try this recipe for my very first cider. But I only have a 1 gallon kit so I was wondering if this would work well that small:

1 gallon cider
1 lb. dark brown sugar
1 package of wine yeast

Do I not add any other additives? I come from the world of fruit wine where you have to use yeast nutrient, pectic enzyme, Campden tablets, acid blend, etc. Do I not need any of those for this recipe? Really want to make this come out as best I can the first time around. Thanks in advance!
-Bill

I was thinking of using maple syrup as a priming sugar or fo you think it would get to carbonated

Back