German Pils Saphir Pils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started this one last night. Due to some limitations I modified it a bit: 2.5 gallon boil--do you think I can convince my landlord to upgrade my stove?--and I was using a new thermometer which I now think is off by 6-8 degrees so the steeping might be off slightly. I can't wait until Christmas when the fermentation is complete! :D I'll let you know how it goes.

I started this one last night. Due to some limitations I modified it a bit: 2.5 gallon boil--do you think I can convince my landlord to upgrade my stove?--and I was using a new thermometer which I now think is off by 6-8 degrees so the steeping might be off slightly. I can't wait until Christmas when the fermentation is complete! :D I'll let you know how it goes.

Partial boil will make it a bit darker than it should be, but it should end up just fine. The steeping temps are no biggy as long as you keep it below 170. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

I got busy, so I'm just now posting my results. My OG was 1.055 and FG was 1.017. During dry hopping, some of the hops got clogged in the next of my carboy, so I wonder how effective it was. My batch didn't have that sharpness I associate with pilsners, but I didn't check the AA of the hops, so it might have been a little low, plus I don't think I've ever had a beer with Saphir hops before (this was a new flavor to me!) so maybe I just don't know what to expect from the hops. Nonetheless, I'm pretty satisfied with the beer, and I'm glad I brewed it.

Thanks for the recipe, Hooter! :)

I have this sitting in the secondary and it smelled amazing when I transfered it and somehow I managed to ferment it down to 1.010!

What does everyone think of dry hopping with the remainder 1oz of Perle AND the .5oz of the hallertau which i subbed for the saphir? would this be to much?

i am in a brewing cooperative. What is I left the honey out. How would it effect the beer and is there a substitute?

Due to lack of supplies locally, and an urge to do this today, this is what I came up with...

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: WYEAST 2007 Pislner Lager
Yeast Starter: Yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.056
Final Gravity: ?

2 lbs. Very Light-LME (60 min)
3 lbs. Very Light-LME (10 min)
1.5 lbs. Clover honey (15 min)

8 oz. Crystal 20L
4 oz. CaraPils

1 oz. Perle (60 min)
1.5 oz. Saaz (20 min)
.5 oz. Saaz (dry hop-1 week secondary)

2007 WYEAST Pilsner Lager

I ended up throwing in the yeast at 85F didn't want to leave it out too long after boil...Is cooling now in fridge.

I had intentions of making a lager with sapphire, i stumbled upon your thread, and to bitter i have a limited amount of mostly armerican hops, what do you think if i got 15-20 ibus from Warrior hops, they are suppose to be nuetral and clean. For bittering. maybe aroma with the sapphire also.

Due to lack of supplies locally, and an urge to do this today, this is what I came up with...

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: WYEAST 2007 Pislner Lager
Yeast Starter: Yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.056
Final Gravity: ?

2 lbs. Very Light-LME (60 min)
3 lbs. Very Light-LME (10 min)
1.5 lbs. Clover honey (15 min)

8 oz. Crystal 20L
4 oz. CaraPils

1 oz. Perle (60 min)
1.5 oz. Saaz (20 min)
.5 oz. Saaz (dry hop-1 week secondary)

2007 WYEAST Pilsner Lager

I ended up throwing in the yeast at 85F didn't want to leave it out too long after boil...Is cooling now in fridge.

Bottled yesterday at carbonation volume 2.7

This beer was most excellent. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'm going to get started on another batch shortly.

I brewed this beer back on Oct 13th and just tried the first one last night. WTF?! This beer is effing incredible! I'm sure it wasn't my skill that made this beer so yummy.

Thanks for sharing the recipe! I'll definitely brew this one again. I was thinking of converting the recipe to all grain. Anyone already have one?

I posted a picture below but it's not coming up for some reason...

My lager turned out really good with the Warrior for bittering and sapphire for finishing. I also used about the same amount of crystal malt but it was a variation of a little bit of carapils,crystal 15,and aromatic. Didnt do the honey though.With a bit of wheat and victory also.But it was a partial mash with Pilsner malt also. One of my best beers,i just undercarbed a little bit thanks to the confusion of the temp variable priming calculator.

Going to give this a shot next week. My first Pilsener, although I may do a partial mash instead of the first DME addition. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Going to give this a shot next week. My first Pilsener, although I may do a partial mash instead of the first DME addition. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Honestly, this was one of the best beers I have ever made...

I'm very grateful for this recipe, although I didn't adhere to it strictly.

Just finished putting my version of this in the lagerator. I did a partial mash.

Instead of 2lbs XL DME at 60 minutes, I used:

1 LB 2-row
1 LB Vienna
1 LB Pale Malt
mashed with the rest of the grains as the recipe called for at 155 degrees for 60 minutes.

I followed the rest of the recipe as it was written, with a 75 minute boil instead of 60 to account for the partial mash. Instead of WLP 800 I used Saflager 34/70 (2 packets). This is my first lager and I am excited to see how it turns out!

Thanks!
I ended up using 5 lbs. 2 row, 5.5 of pilsner and 1 lb rice, .5 of carapils.
Threw in saaz and hallertau for hops. Wyeast Urquel, I believe 2001 is the number, already rockin!

I just made this. Went straight for the regular ingredients but I scaled it down to 3 gallons. Didn't have pure clover honey so I used a blend of a few types, didn't have the right pilsner yeast so I used saflager-34/70 which said it was a german style lager yeast.

Luckily my LHBS did have saphir hops, so I got to try these babies out. Right now the primary is bubbling so furiously that I've had to change out my blowoff collection bowl already. Hasn't even been 24 hours. Wondering if the honey added so much fermentables that it's going nuts.

First pilsner for me. First lager. First time using honey. First three gallon batch. Too many firsts? :D

UPDATE: Lost probably a beer or two's worth of wort from blowoff. Is this normal? Super strong fermentation.. I had it going at probably 64 degrees for a day, realized that might be too much and so I moved the primary to my basement, which is about 54 degrees. I hope I didn't screw this up.

I scaled down in I brewmaster what my recipe was.

Saphir Pils

Style: Unassigned OG: 1.036
Type: FG: 1.009
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 3.54 %
Calories: 117 IBU's: 47.69
Efficiency: 70 % Boil Size: 1.45 Gal
Color: 4.9 SRM Batch Size: 0.80 Gal
Preboil OG: 1.032 Boil Time: 60 minutes

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Primary 21 days @ 55.0°F

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
0.27 lbs 22.99 % Extra Light Dry Extract 60 mins 1.044
0.54 lbs 45.98 % Extra Light Dry Extract 10 mins 1.044
0.24 lbs 20.69 % Honey 0 mins 1.035
1.30 ozs 6.90 % Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L 60 mins 1.035
0.65 ozs 3.45 % Belgian Caramel Pils 60 mins 1.034

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
0.16 ozs 32.79 Pearle 60 mins 8.00
0.24 ozs 14.90 Saaz 20 mins 4.00
0.08 ozs Saaz 7 days 4.00

Replace saaz with Saphir if your LHBS carries.

The idea is to just hit the right IBU I guess. Tinker with your boil time.

Also since its extract the efficiency is going to be much higher. Like 90% or above I'd imagine.

This has been aged for four weeks in bottles now and I have to say, it came out a bit estery for me but it's delicious.

How does one ferment at 54~ degrees? i have a fridge in my garage but as far as i can see its not adjustable by temperature, just 1 2 3 4 or 5 and i dont think 1 is quite warm enough

ender416 said:
How does one ferment at 54~ degrees? i have a fridge in my garage but as far as i can see its not adjustable by temperature, just 1 2 3 4 or 5 and i dont think 1 is quite warm enough

Temperature controller: a little gadget that acts as an external thermostat. You set the temperature you want, plug the fridge/freezer into the gadget instead of the wall, and the gadget turns the appliance on/off to maintain the set temp.

Some brewers get similar effect with swamp coolers and ice packs.

Fermentation temperature control should be an early addition to your brewery.

I'm going to try this recipe this weekend and was wondering if anyone has made it without the yeast starter? Do you think it would make a big difference?

I did a quasi starter by putting a pack page of dry yeast into my wort before I got to sparge or boil, but no actual starter. It didn't fully attenuate for me and the beer was more on the sweet side than to my liking. But it didn't have any troubles starting to ferment, happened before 12 hrs.

Blast from the past. I stumbled on this old recipe I posted years ago on an old account. A lot of these responses I never even saw (long story). Its weird to revisit this after all these years. I think I'll have to brew an all grain version of this now.

Back