Who makes the best extract kits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agroff383

Reaction score
I have ordered from Northern Brewer and Homebrewers.com, both seemed really well put together and fresh ingredients, quick shipping, etc.

I am looking at AHS for my next purchase of kits, just wondering what else there is and who makes great kits.

I always buy almost exclusively from AHS extract kits. They will never let you down and have the largest variety out there.

I tend to stick with what works for me, and Northern Brewer is it so far. I haven't used anyone else just because I can predict when I'm getting a shipment from them like clockwork and they've never botched an order.

If you are looking for a great extract kit, try the Ferocious IPA from Midwest. Just made it with WL yeast and it is amazing. One of the best IPA, perhaps the best, I have ever made.

I think you will find overwhelming votes for Northern Brewer and Austin Home Brew.

AHB has a huge variety so I go with them. I would go with NB if they had Mini Mash recipes and as many recipes.

Can't go wrong with either.

Most all my kits came from AHS, but a few -- very good ones, and a little cheaper -- came from windriverbrewing.com

I've bought everything exclusively from my LHBS and Northern Brewer. I've had great luck with Northern, shipping is fast, product is great. The only one I didn't like of theirs is the Spiced Winter, everything else has been great. I've heard great things about AHS as well.

Have been satisfied with every kit I have putchaced from...
Midwest Supplies
Williams
AHS

I shop almost exclusivly for kits from AHS if i order online, simply because ground shipping to my location is overnight.

I usually buy my kits at my LHBS (Fort Worth Homebrew) though, they are somewhat afiliated with AHS, and have the same or very close to same prices.

If you are looking for a great extract kit, try the Ferocious IPA from Midwest. Just made it with WL yeast and it is amazing. One of the best IPA, perhaps the best, I have ever made.

+1 on the Ferocious kit, I have brewed it myself.....twice! It"s very tasty.

All of my other kits have been from Austin Homebrew and I've yet to be dissapointed. The nice thing about AHS is that you can easily use their PM kits to transition over to AG. They make the switch over nice and easy. Plus Forrest is a pleasure to talk to should you have any questions

I'd 2nd the Windriver kits. Been useing them for 13 yrs. now. Check their internet newsletter for great specials. Just picked up a Wit & a Saison on special there.

I think you will find overwhelming votes for Northern Brewer and Austin Home Brew.

AHB has a huge variety so I go with them. I would go with NB if they had Mini Mash recipes and as many recipes.

Can't go wrong with either.

When people use "AHS" they mean Austin Homebrew Supply. They always abbreviate my store name but people don't always know what that means.

When you said AHB has a huge variety, did you mean Austin Homebrew Supply? AHB is Annapolis Homebrew.

Forrest

Have been satisfied with every kit I have putchaced from...
Midwest Supplies
Williams
AHS

I shop almost exclusivly for kits from AHS if i order online, simply because ground shipping to my location is overnight.

I usually buy my kits at my LHBS though, they are somewhat afiliated with AHS, and have the same or very close to same prices.

AHS means Austin Homebrew Supply

Sorry to beat a dead horse. I appreciate your support, but can you please use Austin Homebrew instead of AHS. If you are giving a recommendation make sure the person knows which store you are talking about.

They won't find a homebrew store if they Google "AHS".

Thanks for you help with this.

Forrest

For all grain Northern Brewer gives a list of their ingredients and a ProMash Summary online. Austin Homebrew Supply does not but I order from both of them equally.

What bothers me about the Austin kits is they don't list the ingredients.

If you email us or call us we can let you know.

We have the largest selection of recipe kits compared to any homebrew store.

A lot of our kits are award winners.

We have put a lot of work into our clones.

There are a lot of stores that can't come up with their own recipes and we don't want our website to be a database for thier customers.

We would also like people to buy the kit from us at least once. Some people will take the recipe and head for their LHBS to buy the ingredients. All of our kits come with full instructions and the complete recipe.

I am sure you understand.

Forrest

I usually get mine from Midwest but that is because it is my LHBS and they also have a card that you can get punched and get 1 kit free for every 10 you buy.

I usually get mine from Midwest but that is because it is my LHBS and they also have a card that you can get punched and get 1 kit free for every 10 you buy.

I still use Midwest for some equipment purchaces, but they do not list their SG or expected ABV on their kits (at least not in their catalog). and I cannot beat the overnight ground deliveries from Austin Homebrew for a flat $7.99 (love living only about 100miles form them)

Forrest, what is your afiliation with Fort Worth Homebrew? I know when I buy DME or Hops they have your sticker on them. I recall the owners commented that they turned to you guys when they made the direction change from Winemaker's Shop to Fort Worth Homebrew

If you email us or call us we can let you know.

We have the largest selection of recipe kits compared to any homebrew store.

A lot of our kits are award winners.

We have put a lot of work into our clones.

There are a lot of stores that can't come up with their own recipes and we don't want our website to be a database for thier customers.

We would also like people to buy the kit from us at least once. Some people will take the recipe and head for their LHBS to buy the ingredients. All of our kits come with full instructions and the complete recipe.

I am sure you understand.

Forrest

I do understand, but it remains a very significant deterrent to me buying your kits. I have actually ordered ingredients and equipment from you, and at the same time made a separate order from Midwest for a couple of their kits. Most often, I just order other things along with the kits, and so you don't even get that business from me. When I order kits, I want to browse the recipes at will rather than order a black box or go through correspondance. It seems to me like you may have reacted to the negatives of doing this without properly weighing the positives, but that's as much as I'm going to say without being asked. I'm willing to discuss further if you'd like.

I still use Midwest for some equipment purchaces, but they do not list their SG or expected ABV on their kits (at least not in their catalog). and I cannot beat the overnight ground deliveries from Austin Homebrew for a flat $7.99 (love living only about 100miles form them)

Forrest, what is your afiliation with Fort Worth Homebrew? I know when I buy DME or Hops they have your sticker on them. I recall the owners commented that they turned to you guys when they made the direction change from Winemaker's Shop to Fort Worth Homebrew

Midwest has a link to a product sheet under each kit, most of which list expected starting and finishing gravity.

I do not own any part of Fort Worth Homebrew. I offered to help them steer in the right direction and they buy DME from me at wholesale.

They are a good bunch of people. If you live in the area stop in and tell them Forrest sent you.

Do you mean once you buy them?

Yes, do you expect him to craft great recipes and list them online for all to use?

And i've bought 2 kits from midwest, what they list isn't always what you get. I was't even remotely happy with either one.

I have to say, the few times I've ordered from Austin Homebrew my order has been shipped the same day. Always comes well quick and well packed. I would not hesitate at all to order from them.

I also like how they keep track of everything I've ordered from them in the past.

Yes, do you expect him to craft great recipes and list them online for all to use?

I don't expect him to do anything. As I've explained, I would be more likely to order them if he did, and I think it's likely that he would make more money overall, but I can understand his mindset.

As an aside, given what many people do on this forum... is the irony in your post intentional? :cross:

In the past when i lived in Phoenix, i bought all my extract kits from my LHBS, and they were all Brewers Best kits. I did i think 5 of them, but to me, it seemed like they all had the same taste. Maybe that was because i drank them all before they matured?

I bought a kit form Midwest though, i believe it was Midwest because i got the DVD. I was surprised when i got it though. It was delivered through fedex or ups, can not remember. This is what happens when you drink too much lol. Not sure if they still ship kits this way or not, but back then, 2006 the flavor of the kit was plainly on the box with all the ingredients etc., for everybody to see when in route to me. I thought it would be shipped in a plain box. But the way they shipped it is also a good marketing tool too. Is it shipped this same way today?

When i moved here, i sent out a request to the 3 major companies. Got the catalog form Midwest, Northern but not from Austin Homebrew Supplies (per Forrest, spell it out). Midwest has a bigger catalog than Northern Homebrew, but Northern Homebrew has flat rate shipping, where Midwest does not. But i am told that Austin Homebrew Supply has a bigger variety of kits than the other 2. I will now have to compare this with all 3. I wanted to compare all 3 with the mailed catalog. Austin Homebrew Supply also has the flat rate shipping too, and since i am moving back to Phoenix in a week, it would be best for me to order through them to get my product sooner, and if they have the best selection of kits, then it will not be a choice. But, i am still confused as to why i never got their catalog? Do they still mail them out, or is it only online now? If it is mailed out upon request, can i ask why i did not get yours Forrest??

Either way Forrest, i will still buy from you if you have the bigger selection of kits. And not only kits, but everything else as well. Thanks!

Giving constructive criticism is acerbic and snarky? Here I thought I was being helpful :confused:

taylornate said:
"I can understand his mindset"
facepalm.gif

In the past when i lived in Phoenix, i bought all my extract kits from my LHBS, and they were all Brewers Best kits. I did i think 5 of them, but to me, it seemed like they all had the same taste. Maybe that was because i drank them all before they matured?

I bought a kit form Midwest though, i believe it was Midwest because i got the DVD. I was surprised when i got it though. It was delivered through fedex or ups, can not remember. This is what happens when you drink too much lol. Not sure if they still ship kits this way or not, but back then, 2006 the flavor of the kit was plainly on the box with all the ingredients etc., for everybody to see when in route to me. I thought it would be shipped in a plain box. But the way they shipped it is also a good marketing tool too. Is it shipped this same way today?

When i moved here, i sent out a request to the 3 major companies. Got the catalog form Midwest, Northern but not from Austin Homebrew Supplies (per Forrest, spell it out). Midwest has a bigger catalog than Northern Homebrew, but Northern Homebrew has flat rate shipping, where Midwest does not. But i am told that Austin Homebrew Supply has a bigger variety of kits than the other 2. I will now have to compare this with all 3. I wanted to compare all 3 with the mailed catalog. Austin Homebrew Supply also has the flat rate shipping too, and since i am moving back to Phoenix in a week, it would be best for me to order through them to get my product sooner, and if they have the best selection of kits, then it will not be a choice. But, i am still confused as to why i never got their catalog? Do they still mail them out, or is it only online now? If it is mailed out upon request, can i ask why i did not get yours Forrest??

Either way Forrest, i will still buy from you if you have the bigger selection of kits. And not only kits, but everything else as well. Thanks!

We have never had a printed catalog. Printed catalog will soon be a thing of the past with the fact that you can update a website instantly. I assume most people have internet access. Printed catalogs are very expensive to make and once it is complete you have to print a very large number of them in order to get the price down, so you are stuck with the same catalog for at least a year. Also, by the time they get printed they are incorrect on many items. Prices go down, items get discontinued, new items are available.

We do have the largest selection of kits (over 700 and growing) and by default we would have the best kits. If you are ever not happy with a kit let me know.

We have never had a printed catalog. Printed catalog will soon be a thing of the past with the fact that you can update a website instantly. I assume most people have internet access. Printed catalogs are very expensive to make and once it is complete you have to print a very large number of them in order to get the price down, so you are stuck with the same catalog for at least a year. Also, by the time they get printed they are incorrect on many items. Prices go down, items get discontinued, new items are available.

We do have the largest selection of kits (over 700 and growing) and by default we would have the best kits. If you are ever not happy with a kit let me know.

Hi Forrest,
Thanks for your reply and information. You do have a lot of kits. I will for sure order from you once i get moved back to Phoenix and set up. Thanks again.

Almost all my kits have come from Midwest....I think I ordered one from AHS, too. I've had great products and service from MW, see no reason to change.

I have brewed several all-grain kits from Forrest at AHS. First rate, very good clones of either the brand being cloned, or the style.

My favorite is the AHS IPA (their own recipe). Excellent beer, and I know the extract version would be every bit as good.

I have only made Northern Brewer and "Brewer's Best". By far I have been as pleased with NB as I have hated BB... My guests say the BB is very good (they don't know, so it's a blind tasting kind of thing) but I was extremely disappointed with all the BB I did this year.

The BB Red Ale was by far the worst of the bunch.

The NB Maibock is very very good but I used Wyeast in it.

Back