Try this, no I'm not fricken crazy!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Right now I am drinking my wild wheat beer. It has a leathery glove taste that is diminishing with age. So I think.....

Its the smell!! Right out of the glass I don't notice it with a wiff.

However, take a swig & pinch your nose and swallow. The taste is completely different.

I recall people saying taste is a lot about smell. How damn true.

FWIW - I was disappointed about the wild wheat yeast. My wheat beer is ~13-14 IBUs. It has virtually no hop flavor and aroma. This is reassuring that I need to re-brew with the strain but hop it up a good bit before I assess the quality.

If you have an IPA that you are drinking see if you notice a difference. I was really shocked. Don't let your buddies see you do this tho.... :D

Let me know how this fairs for you. Difference in taste that is......Kind weird I know.... :cross:

Check out Randy Mosher's book, Tasting Beer, for more info on taste and how it relates to beer. He covers how we perceive taste and aroma in a chapter. It's a great read besides. Tons of info and interesting facts.

Another thing I've been trying to do lately is to really concentrate on all of the different things that you can sense when tasting. It's amazing what you can recognize as different flavors when you really put your mind to it.

I squeezed some lemon into this. The leather glove smell has vanished. That's the whole corona story in a nutshell.

It is pretty much the same concept as how when you are sick and congested you cant really taste anything you eat. And that smokers have a deteriorated sense of taste is because of their sense of smell getting screwed up.

This almost belongs in debate based on thread title alone.

But yeah, the concept is valid. Like getting kids to pinch their noses when taking cold syrups so it won't taste as bad. Or eating stinky foods (durian, fish, etc...)

It is pretty much the same concept as how when you are sick and congested you cant really taste anything you eat. And that smokers have a deteriorated sense of taste is because of their sense of smell getting screwed up.

Yes! - I used to be an on/off smoker with drinking. This hobby helped me put the kibash on the smoking.

Replace one habit for another they say!!

I quit for about 4 or 5 months and just a few weeks after I quit I was able to pick up different flavors in beers that I had never noticed before.

This almost belongs in debate based on thread title alone.

But yeah, the concept is valid. Like getting kids to pinch their noses when taking cold syrups so it won't taste as bad. Or eating stinky foods (durian, fish, etc...)

So you think I'm crazy? :D OK.... :cross:

To paraphrase Jessica Rabbit, "He's not crazy, it's just the way he's blogged."

Yeah, holding your nose cuts beer down to sugar and bitter. Maybe sour if you ARE crazy.

I always knew about the nose pinching thing, but I obeyed the OP and did it anyway. The first thing I noticed was that I forgot to open my mouth in order to breathe. (You could have given a hint about that)

I then took a drink, and all of a sudden my ears lost all correlation with the surrounding air pressure. I felt like I was 20 feet underwater. The taste of the beer remained pretty much unaltered. I could be wrong though. I possibly was not paying full attention to the flavour as I was suffocating and my ears were bleeding.

For your next thread, please post proper instructions.

I always knew about the nose pinching thing, but I obeyed the OP and did it anyway. The first thing I noticed was that I forgot to open my mouth in order to breathe. (You could have given a hint about that)

I then took a drink, and all of a sudden my ears lost all correlation with the surrounding air pressure. I felt like I was 20 feet underwater. The taste of the beer remained pretty much unaltered. I could be wrong though. I possibly was not paying full attention to the flavour as I was suffocating and my ears were bleeding.

Sorry, I forgot to warn you about the ear popping!!! :p

Try it again since you know what to expect!!!

IT WORKED!

He fell for it. You owe me a $20 now. :D

Since you plug your nose, the air must come your ears when you swallow. Don't tell me you taste ear wax. :cross:

Sorry, I forgot to warn you about the ear popping!!! :p

Try it again since you know what to expect!!!

I did!!! I still can't get past the discomfort! I like a beer that is distinct in the fact that it does NOT make my ears bleed!

I am most disturbed by the fact that I even tried your half-assed advice. Next time, I will only listen to advice that I am positive has been dreamed up by a 100% ass.

I did!!! I still can't get past the discomfort! I like a beer that is distinct in the fact that it does NOT make my ears bleed!

I am most disturbed by the fact that I even tried your half-assed advice. Next time, I will only listen to advice that I am positive has been dreamed up by a 100% ass.

I didn't take into the account the altitude of where you are at in Ohio. I imagine that is a factor!

If you try this one more time, do so by stuffing your ears with toilet paper.

I didn't take into the account the altitude of where you are at in Ohio. I imagine that is a factor!

If you try this one more time, do so by stuffing your ears with toilet paper.

Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice.....um.....er.....we don't get fooled again! (Insert Pete Townsend windmill arm strumming)

I miss George :)

Back