WTF Happened To BTV?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great episode!

Chip, thanks so much for continuing to give your time and passion to BTV. Thank you also, to BA, DonO, and any other future hosts. BTV has been a big part of my developing interest in brewing and it is good to see the episodes keep rolling out!

I've been into the cask at home episode lately since I'm working on getting that going. Planning to do it with 5l mini kegs tho

Northern brewer has not been the same for a while :( used to be my got o store, now I drive the hour to my LHBS.

Yeah I agree. Rising prices. No more brew saver shipping. And now no more Dawson and Keeler.

Edit: I still support BTV though. And NB from time to time. Keep it coming Chip!

Something tells me BTV is def taking a hiatus. I've seen too many NorthernbrewerTV posts on youtube instead of brewingtv videos. Oh well I do enjoy their guest lecturer series of videos.

section8 said:
Something tells me BTV is def taking a hiatus. I've seen too many NorthernbrewerTV posts on youtube instead of brewingtv videos. Oh well I do enjoy their guest lecturer series of videos.

There's been a few recent episodes. They're maybe a week off schedule right now. During the summer they took a break for sure.

Chip! I can't wait any longer for hop madness 2012....

I want to know what you guys made, and the clip of BA eating spent hops at the end of the hop union episode has my attention.

Thanks for BTV and the videos on NB's YouTube page, Keep up the good work.

Chip! What's going on? Is BTV really gone ?
And most important, does anyone got all the episodes 'outside' interwebs (backup)? Just in case, for future hb generations...ya know.

Chip! What's going on? Is BTV really gone ?
And most important, does anyone got all the episodes 'outside' interwebs (backup)? Just in case, for future hb generations...ya know.

Read the thread, BTV isn't gone......

Chip here from Brewing TV. We have a new episode that will post on Friday, Sept. 7, 2012 about making Cider... and one following that about making Graf in which HBT Forums are actually given some shout-outs by a Nothern Brewer co-worker featured in the episode. There are other episodes in the hopper as well. It is true that we had to focus on making DVDs to accompany the Small Batch Starter Kits and new BIAB gear/recipe kits... as well as create the new Northern Brewer Video Library (www.northernbrewer.com/homebrew-video-library, which includes product videos, tips and full-length presentation from NHC and our Minneapolis store classroom. Thanks for your patience and support!

Thanks for the support.

Chip

I am the real Chip. BTV.com is back up. Just a hiccup. Thanks for the support for real. I didn't mean to come off like a whiny pants there. I know things are different w/o Jake and Mike, but teams change quarterbacks all the time and rise to the occasion. It's ALL for Brew, not Two for Brew. I think there are plenty of great stories and brew sessions ahead. Just a different way of thinking about presenting them. I or Northern Brewer can't control Mike and Jake's decisions. I can only look ahead. Hoping to tap the huge pool of talented brewers at Northern Brewer and pick their brains about brewing for the most part. That being said - I do love camera work and editing most, but will never shy away from an opportunity to get my ugly mug on the interwebz when possible.

BrewingTV.com is still live. That's where any Recipes and Short Pours are generally found as well. Episode only at NorthernBrewer.com/BrewingTV.
YouTube, Vimeo and blip/iTunes. Got BTV out there everywhere!

I specifically set enough footage aside for the two videos to be different... as explained in the set up of the BTV episode. The Northern Brewer Homebrew Video Library videos is much more in-depth about Palmer's process of all-grain brewing. This BTV episode is more about how this particular recipe came to be and what things he considered when putting it together. There is maybe about a minute and a half of overlap.

Don Osborn and I live about four blocks from each other in St. Paul. He is a St. Paul Northern Brewer customer/fan from the WWWWWAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY back. He was one of my biggest influences (via YouTube and his website) when I first starting brewing in Austin, TX years ago... and continues to inspire me today. DonO Posse for Life! (Chip @ BTV)

This is pretty much the plan. Homebrewing is certainly bigger than any one of us. NB has a lot of awesome brewers in the ranks, I'm turning to them a lot. Plus, Don and Bryon Adams are certainly fun guys to brew with. Actually, BA makes an appearance in the upcoming BTV 71 "Hop Madness 2012" (posts online Nov. 2nd). Prepare yourself!

Here is the newest episode.... I was pretty rad to be surrounded by MILLIONS of pounds of whole leaf and pellet hops!
http://brewingtv.com/episodes/2012/10/16/brewing-tv-episode-70-inside-hop-union.html
We all are still friends for sure. No reason not to be. :)

Chip is still doing episodes with Don Osborn, BA, they even did one with Palmer not long ago. Episodes aren't releasing at the weekly/bi weekly rate that they were when Dawson and Keeler were there, and the show definitely took a hiatus this past summer. There hasn't been a episode since last month's Hop Union episode, but according to Chip and DonO (read the whole thread), they're still making BTVs. :mug:

Just relax, ok? I'm their big fan too. I actually read the whole thread, and found that Chip was saying something about Nov. 2nd, as a release of ep 71. And DonO is not doing BTV, he was guest there. The same as Chip and Dawson in his last vid.

Didn't realize that I wasn't relaxed, guess I should pay more attention..... the newest episode was s'posed to come out last week, but like the last few, it seems that they're a bit slow getting it out. Like I said, from the looks of this thread, Chip will continue doing episodes with guests like DonO, BA and others but so far they haven't been releasing on a regular basis.

Which is, obvious pity :( Really. I dunno what happened (since some time imho). But it seems that for NB, project called BTV is no longer attractive 'channel' for acquiring new customers. And probably that conclusion came from the accounting dept. More and more NB is becoming a corporation focused ONLY on incomes :(

Despite of Chips hard work, of course - we still love your Blaaam !!

A big thanks to Chip for the new Hop Madness BTV episode! It's was nice to see BTV back on again. Keep up the good work my man!
BLAM!

I was pretty bummed to hear that this was final. I put off checking my suspicions until now, knowing that something must have happened. Dawson was legit brilliance. The three had an irreplaceable affinity. They inspired me to start brewing, and I won't forget the first years of BTV.

Talking about favorite episodes though, how could you guys forget this segment from 49 'sour beers'? @ 20'03"
[ame]http://youtu.be/xonwaRtCHuo?t=20m3s[/ame]

Hey hey, my my. It is better to burn out than fade away...

Brewing TV is not over. We just won't be releaseing every other Friday as a rule. We'll be releasing episodes when a topic or subject interests us or when we have a great guest to feature. It's extremely busy at Northern Brewer right now with the holiday season and such - so I can't tell you when the next one will be released. But the project is not over - just morphing. I appreciate everyone's support (to those who have been supportive) and would love to hear best memories of past episodes all the same. I know I have mine - like meeting Fred Eckhardt, third-wheeling brew days with Jake and Mike, doing casks at Summit and running wild through Dogfish for two days. Chip @ NB/BTV

Brewing TV is not over. We just won't be releaseing every other Friday as a rule. We'll be releasing episodes when a topic or subject interests us or when we have a great guest to feature. It's extremely busy at Northern Brewer right now with the holiday season and such - so I can't tell you when the next one will be released. But the project is not over - just morphing. I appreciate everyone's support (to those who have been supportive) and would love to hear best memories of past episodes all the same. I know I have mine - like meeting Fred Eckhardt, third-wheeling brew days with Jake and Mike, doing casks at Summit and running wild through Dogfish for two days. Chip @ NB/BTV

Chip - keep it up! And thanks for posting; we certainly understand retail in December.

My favorite episodes are ones where I get to see something I normally don't get to see. Ex. Hop Union (incredible!), your guys home-grown hops, visiting breweries (maybe a follow-up at New Glarus hop yard?), etc. Some of the specialty-brew episodes (wine, graff, sour, etc) are also cool. There's no shortage of YouTube videos of people doing normal brewdays, so it's fun when you do a special style or highlight a special technique or something...again, something we may not be as familiar with.

Also, I'd imagine most of us would prefer quality over quantity.

Just my $0.02...thanks!

I meant that the disappearance of Jake and Dawson was final, not that it was the final episode. Chip is still doing great work, but the show will need to adapt to a new format, new hosts, etc.

I think the Graff episode is my favorite, but I'm a little biased there. Looking back I think it was the "here's a different technique" episodes that I like the most (open fermentation, partigyle, hop abuse beers, biab, etc) because it tried to get people out of the routine they have with brewing and try something a different way. The commercial brewery episodes are cool to see how they do things but I love the crazy homebrew ones more. Keep them coming when you got them and I'll always be one of the first to watch it. Thanks again for all the hard work Chip. Cheers

I think the Graff episode is my favorite, but I'm a little biased there. Looking back I think it was the "here's a different technique" episodes that I like the most (open fermentation, partigyle, hop abuse beers, biab, etc) because it tried to get people out of the routine they have with brewing and try something a different way. The commercial brewery episodes are cool to see how they do things but I love the crazy homebrew ones more. Keep them coming when you got them and I'll always be one of the first to watch it. Thanks again for all the hard work Chip. Cheers

Agreed. I dug the solo brew Chap did using chocolate. And the one where Dawson and Keeler did batches with random leftover ingredients and then did a tasting and tried to guess what was in the other's beer.

Those are examples of brewing because it is fun.

I also liked the ice fishing, lake water brewing episode.

Clemifornia Dreaming was a great episode. The ice fishing one was really cool, now I want to brew with lakewater...

Call it my only need for trashy drama because I don't watch it on tv, but I need (probably not really) to know why they left NB. I know they'll do it anyway, but I don't need Internet Mom's replying back that I should respect their decision not to explain blah blah.... I demand transparency.

I bet it was all of the lame product combos... I'm wondering what they'll price the Tylenol and Barleywine combo.

But on a serious note, I'd like to hear/see more about Kris England's brewery.

Call it my only need for trashy drama because I don't watch it on tv, but I need (probably not really) to know why they left NB. I know they'll do it anyway, but I don't need Internet Mom's replying back that I should respect their decision not to explain blah blah.... I demand transparency.

I bet it was all of the lame product combos... I'm wondering what they'll price the Tylenol and Barleywine combo.

But on a serious note, I'd like to hear/see more about Kris England's brewery.

I love minor internet celebrity drama too. I want dirt too! I'm just going to assume its because the product placement got a little too much in the later episodes...like pimping 5-star's 5.2pH stabilizer in the BIAB show (head over to the brew science thread to see pages and pages of threads decrying it as fraud).

And Kris England! they NEED to do an episode on his historical recreations. The About Stout ep with the 1883 guinness was based off of shut up about barclay perkins (that he contributes to) but he was no where to be seen. He is referenced tons in Mitch Steele's IPA book, now is the time!

Back