1.000 in 2 days?! Help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegame310

Reaction score
Hi ya'll.

So, here's a quick run down of everything I did, and everything I want to do.

First, I got 5 gallons of unpasturized orchard fresh cider. Put some camden tablets in there, let it sit for a week to make sure everything was killed.

Then, I put in 1lb of light brown sugar, and checked gravity, and it was 1.060

I pitched some red star champagne yeast Friday evening, my air lock was bubbling like crazy all day Saturday and Sunday.

This morning woke up, no activity. No worries, not to big of a deal. I took a hydrometer reading just a few minutes ago and it's already down to 1.000?!

Does that sound right that it would have fermented so quickly? Also, it's now extremely dry and I will need to back sweeten it...any suggestions?

Also, I'd like to bottle and carb this, though I'm guessing that's easier said then done.

Help?

What temperature were you fermenting at? I'm going to take a guess and say high 70's.

Just made a batch of cider (1 gallon), currently it is in its secondary, clarifying. Anyway it had a potential of about 10% (SG 1.076) because of the honey I added to it. I as well used Redstar Champagne yeast, and in 6 days it was already beginning to clear in the primary. Took a gravity ready the next day and it was sitting right at 1.000 so I went a head and moved it to the secondary. The Redstar Champagne yeast is classifed as a "Vigourous fermenter".

Back