One Step?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simphoto02

WoodyBlue
Reaction score
I know the other cleaners & sanitizers have been out longer.

I started using onestep and PERSONALLY love it. I have been using it as both a cleaner and a sanitizer with NO (knock on wood) infections.

Question is have I been using it correctly as a sanitizer or have I been just lucky? I am loving the no rinse part and no bleach smell.

Now that it can be purchased in larger quantities I am really liking it.

It is "technically" not a sanitizer but a cleaning agent. I say technically because I used to use One-Step without any problems in the past regarding infections. That being said, you might as well make the switch over to StarSan. This IS a sanitizing agent and will ensure that your equipment is properly sanitized to reduce the risk of infections. There are tons of posts on here regarding StarSan vs. One-Step, but in general, it is better to play it safe than sorry. StarSan is also a no rinse sanitizer and the foam from the sanitizer is actually able to be used by your yeast as a form of nutrient, so all-in-all, StarSan is an awesome product that I would recommend to all brewers.

I also only use OneStep and haven't had any issues (so far). I just make sure to clean everything very thoroughly in the OneStep solution. My only comlaint is that my plastic tubing got a little discolored from cleaning with it.

My biggest beef with OneStep was the slimyness of the water. It had a very slick feel to it and sometimes left residue in my tubing and buckets. Yes, the proper dillution was used... Not sure why it was like that, but it wasn't a big deal. I just think that if you're going to spend money on a sanitizer, you might as well get one that is actually FDA approved as a sanitizing agent, not just a cleaner. That's what Oxyclean is for! ;-)

Your are right that it has slippery and leaves that residue. So is Oxyclean considered a sanitizer in the same manner as Starsan? Sorry to change the subject of the thread....

I've been using one-step as a sanitizer for three years now, god knows how many batches (probably on the order of 400 gallons) and never had an unintended contamination. I have been using it because it is cheap and easy...that being said, I will probably switch to star-san now that I have a job.

Nope. Oxyclean is just a cleaning agent just like OneStep. I now use Oxyclean for "cleaning" my equipment and StarSan for sanitizing my equipment.

noob question...why do you need to use both? Couldn't you just use the sanitizer of choice instead of adding the extra step of the cleaner?

Nope. Oxyclean is just a cleaning agent just like OneStep.

Onestep and oxyclean ARE NOT the same thing.....Oxyclean is sodium percarbonate....though you are right that onestep is NOT a true sanitizer.

if you want some info about Onestep, and why many of us don't recommend it, especially in light of REAL FDA approved sanitizers that are available and reusable, check out this thread....

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sanitizer-question-54932/?highlight=sanitizer+question

noob question...why do you need to use both? Couldn't you just use the sanitizer of choice instead of adding the extra step of the cleaner?

Cleaners clean, sanitizers sanitize....you need to clean off any biomatter from the surface before you sanitize them...

Cleaning and Sanitizing: What’s the Difference?
There are two steps to having a clean and sanitary kitchen. The first step is “cleaning” and the second step “sanitizing.” The cleaning process involves washing surfaces with warm, soapy water and rinsing to remove the soap and remaining food residue, grease, and dirt. Cleaning removes what you can see. Sanitizing takes place after cleaning and removes or kills the organisms you cannot see. Although the two are linked, they are separate processes. Surfaces must be cleaned for sanitizing to be effective.

Cleaning
Most surfaces that have been soiled or contaminated may be cleaned with the proper use of cleaning agents. Detergents are cleaning agents that have the ability to remove contamination and soil. They aren’t designed to kill bacteria, but instead act as a surfactant to lift dirt and germs off a surface so that they can be rinsed away. When detergent is combined with action, a cleaner surface is produced.

Sanitizing
The last step in the cleaning process is sanitation. In order to sanitize a surface effectively, it must be clean. If a sanitizer is applied to a soiled surface, it will not be able to penetrate the soil and inactivate the microorganisms. The soil renders the sanitizer ineffective. Therefore, it is imperative that a surface be clean before sanitizer is applied.

Chemical sanitizing generally involves either immersing the object in a sanitizing solution for a specific amount of time or spraying/wiping the object with the solution and allowing it to air-dry. Chemical sanitizers differ in their effectiveness on certain organisms and in the concentration, temperature, and contact time required to kill bacteria. Common chemical sanitizers include chlorine, iodine, and quaternary ammonium compounds or “quats.” Two most common chemical sanitizers seen in food service are chlorine and “quats.”

I also only use OneStep and haven't had any issues (so far). My only comlaint is that my plastic tubing got a little discolored from cleaning with it.

Is there a product aside from bleach that WONT do this?

Also, I understand that Iodaphor and Star San are great. I will most likely switch to Star San but not Iodaphor for the simple reason of toxicity to pets. Don't want to take a chance with my Lab. Also I would look VERY closely to the labels on the Iodaphor in the Homebrew Shops and the Iodine you are getting at a Feed/Equine supply store.

BOTH are iodine. BUT the stuff at the feed store, at least at my friends equine supply store, is a higher concentrate. More Parts per million. You MIGHT be making a Iodine bath that is WAY too strong. There are strict guidelines from the FDA as to the concentrations to be used for food grade sanitation. Iodine is a VERY toxic chemical if absorbed at too high of concentrations. Check the labels. Might be a bigger difference than just the price.

Doesn't One Step Say on the label that it sanitizes? Can it say that if it doesn't?

Thanks Revvy for the explanation on sanitation vs cleaning. Sounds like I am playing Russian roulette since I am not using sanitizer.

I've never used one step but I've read enough to know that it does indeed sanitize. It's only about money to get a FDA approval as I recall. Frankly I don't care about the FDA. If you asked the FDA both Star San and Iodophor need to be rinsed or allowed to dry. We know better. ;)

Back