Who Needs A Pet Food Container?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
I was looking at the pet food containers as possible storage for buying bulk grain. I saw the price and saw how they were really just a plastic container with a gasket around the lid and decided I could make it for cheaper. I bought 2 70 qt containers from Target for $25 and a roll of vinyl sealing foam from Home Depot for $2.

70 qt. storage container
Container1.jpg

Vinyl sealant foam
Container2.jpg

Running the seal around the inside the lid
Container3.jpg

The finished lid
Container4.jpg

One roll did both containers
Container7.jpg

First bag of grain. 50 lbs Great Western Pale Ale Malt
Container5.jpg

The entire bag in one container
Container6.jpg

They wanted like $25 bucks for one that held only half the amount. I took a look at the lid and decided I could do better.

Wow, that beats my giant collection of 5 gallon buckets.... I might have to add this one to the to-do list.

I can't put a whole bag in one, but here's what I'm doing.
I get the 5 gal Homer buckets at HD for about $3 apiece and add a gamma lid for about $9. It's totally stackable, versatile, and easier to move around in smaller bites. These are the same lids as found on the aforementioned expensive pet Food bins (Vittles vaults).
Cheers

I thought about the Gamma Seal lid because I use them at work, but I knew I couldn't fit a whole bag in a bucket.

As far as stacking, I wouldn't want to stack too much weight on the lid, but it should hold at least one container on top. I don't have a whole lot of space to stack them. I post an update if there are any problems with the weight on the lids.

The vinyl is to make it airtight to keep bugs out.

Ah I see. I didn't realize that the container wasn't already air-tight.

So where do you keep these ?

Do you have to keep them somewhere where the temperature is pretty constant ? If I got a couple of those and kept them in the garage, would the grain spoil anyway because it gets pretty hot in there during the summer ? Would I need to keep them indoors like in a closet or something where there is airconditioning ?

Back