Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale Recipe Wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

postman

Reaction score
Hey Brewers,

SN Celebration Ale is one of my favorite beers and is off the shelf for a while. I was looking to brew a clone-ish beer to satisfy my thirst for it. I've used a recipe from Austin Homebrew, which I didn't think came close enough. I'm an extract brewer and I have chinook, centennial, and cascade hops which I have already and want to use. I plan on using dry yeast as well.

Any recipes would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Postman

postman said:
Hey Brewers,

SN Celebration Ale is one of my favorite beers and is off the shelf for a while. I was looking to brew a clone-ish beer to satisfy my thirst for it. I've used a recipe from Austin Homebrew, which I didn't think came close enough. I'm an extract brewer and I have chinook, centennial, and cascade hops which I have already and want to use. I plan on using dry yeast as well.

Any recipes would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Postman
As an extract brewer I would use a ex light DME for the malt. Steep 1 1/4 lbs of Dark crystal malt in 150 deg water for 30 mins. I would also use the 1056 Chico ale liquid yeast for the clone that's the same yeast used for Sierra. Use a fresh activator pouch or make a starter.

For a 5.5 gal pri batch

8 1/2 lbs ex-light DME
1 1/4 lbs dark crystal

About

25 HBU Chinook for 60 mins
22 HBU cascade for 15 mins

I'll need to check the HBU's from my recipe at home
The HBU's are calculated for a 3 1/2 to 4 gal partial boil
Dry Hop 1oz cascade after primary settles for 2 weeks

I just ordered a clone of SN Celebration Ale today. I plan on pouring it on the yeast cake from a SN Pale Ale clone that is in the primary right now. They both call for Wyeast #1056. I will try and remember to post the kit ingredients when It arrives.

testudo said:
www.homebrew.com has a clone recipe called High Sierra Celebration.
I have made it several times and love it.

Oh, that is good news. I think homebrew.com and ebrew.com one in the same now. There is something on homebrews site mentioning that. I can't wait to brew it up and see how it turns out.

Look here

I just made this recipe. (Went with extract kit because of a time constraint and because BREWtality wasn't finished yet and I had canabalized all my AG equipment).

It is actually pretty dang good.

Here's a breakout of my Celebration Clone. I ran out of Pale when I originally made this, and used some Pilsner. it turned out really great, so I have continued using it in this recipe several times.
Target gravity 1.060, single infusion.

Grist for 10 gallons
Crystal malt 15%
Malted Wheat 5%
Pilsner malt 24%
Marris Otter Two row Pale Malt 56%

Hop Schedule:
Hops IBU's ounces Alpha Acids Addition Phase
Chinook 40 2.19 12.10 Kettle addition
Cascade 15 1.79 6.30 Middle Addition
Cascade 4 1.87 6.30 Late Addition
Centennial 4 1.22 9.50 Late Addition
Cascade 2.00 6.90 Knockout
Centenial 1.00 9.50 Knockout
Cascade 2.00 9.50 Dry Hop
Chinook 1.00 12.10 DryHop

Yeast- 1056 :rockin:

Thanks guys. This is great to see you've had some successful clones. I'm sure some of them are even better than the actual. I'll look them over and give one of the a shot. I'll repost when I get to tasting it. Thanks again!

Couevas said:
Look here

I just made this recipe. (Went with extract kit because of a time constraint and because BREWtality wasn't finished yet and I had canabalized all my AG equipment).

It is actually pretty dang good.

Anyone have any tips of how to get hops HBU's from a beers IBU. Or should I just go with the amount of hops it calls for and wing it?

Warrior said:
As an extract brewer I would use a ex light DME for the malt. Steep 1 1/4 lbs of Dark crystal malt in 150 deg water for 30 mins. I would also use the 1056 Chico ale liquid yeast for the clone that's the same yeast used for Sierra. Use a fresh activator pouch or make a starter.

For a 5.5 gal pri batch

8 1/2 lbs ex-light DME
1 1/4 lbs dark crystal

About

25 HBU Chinook for 60 mins
22 HBU cascade for 15 mins

I'll need to check the HBU's from my recipe at home
The HBU's are calculated for a 3 1/2 to 4 gal partial boil
Dry Hop 1oz cascade after primary settles for 2 weeks
I've checked my recipe and the HBU's need corrected.

Chinook leaf 23 HBU (19.5 for pellets) 60 mins
Cascade leaf 19 HBU 20 mins

Also used 1/2 lb cara pils for the steep

"Dude" worked on a great SNCA clone. It's much better than the AHB clone IMO.

I'll look for the link. You need to be around 62 IBU for this clone.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=43073#post43073

I used the following to convert to extract.

.75 lbs. Crystal Malt 90°L
2 lbs. American 2-row
.5 lbs. Dextrine Malt
6 lbs. Dry Light Extract

Steep the specialty grains at ~160*F for 30 minutes. Take it off the heat and add around 4 pounds of the DME. I added the last 2 lbs of DME with about 10 minutes left in the boil. Use "Dude's" hop additions and you should be all set...

NoClue,

Thanks for the recipe from Dude! Yeah, I wasn't too keen on AHBS Celebration Ale...not quite on the money. I'm thinking I'll brew the recipe you suggest.

Peace

"Dude" worked on a great SNCA clone. It's much better than the AHB clone IMO.

I'll look for the link. You need to be around 62 IBU for this clone.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=43073#post43073

I used the following to convert to extract.

.75 lbs. Crystal Malt 90°L
2 lbs. American 2-row
.5 lbs. Dextrine Malt
6 lbs. Dry Light Extract

Steep the specialty grains at ~160*F for 30 minutes. Take it off the heat and add around 4 pounds of the DME. I added the last 2 lbs of DME with about 10 minutes left in the boil. Use "Dude's" hop additions and you should be all set...

Is this a partial mash or would I seep the 2-row, crystal and dextrine malts? I'm decently new to brewing but that's way more grain than I seep and 2-row is a base malt...but what do I know.

I'd love to make this beer, thanks for the info.

any thoughts on this recipe for a sierra celebration not quite clone? hops are not exactly the same because this is what i could get organically. this is 100% organic except for the yeast..

http://hopville.com/recipe/377617/home-brew/sierra-nevada-celebration-clone

please note 4 gallon, not 5 gallon batch.

% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable ppg °L
87% 7 0 Briess Organic LME info 34 4
13% 1 0 Crystal 60L info 34 60

use time oz variety form aa
boil 60 mins 1.0 Columbus info leaf 12.1
boil 15 mins 1.0 Cascade info leaf 7.7
boil 5 mins 1.0 Cascade info leaf 7.7
dry hop 7 days 1.0 Cascade info leaf 7.8

also have access to summit hops if those might fit in better somewhere.

I decided to bump this after seeing the article in BYO with this recipe.... Couple of questions....
1. Is Celebration really mashed that high (157F)? This year does not seem like you get the sweetness out of such a high mash
2. Previous recipe on here only call for 60 hop addition, but the BYO article is calling for 2 100 minute additions.
I suppose they may have change the recipe, but BYO just seems off to me as I am tasting the beer. Any thoughts?

OG 1.064
FG 1.016
IBU 65
SRM 12
ABV 6.8

12.5 lbs US 2-Row
15 oz. Crystal 60 (Assume British based on the interview with Steve Dressler on Brewing Network)
.75 oz Chinook 100 Minute (12% AA)
.50 oz Centennial 100 Minute (10% AA)
1.5 oz Cascade 10 Minute (5% AA)
.66 oz Centennial 0 Minute (10%AA)
1.3 oz Cascade 0 Minute (5% AA)
.66 oz Centennial Dry Hop (10%AA)
1.3 oz Cascade Dry Hop (5% AA)

Mash in at 157F and hold for 60 Minutes. Ferment at 68F.

I thought about the temp in BYO recipe as well. I plan on doing the bigfoot clone, which is a barleywine higher alcohol, I believe they say mash at 154, but then again with high OG the yeast are doing their damnest to get the attenuation down to manageable FG. With the Celebration, almost a "baby" bigfoot, I would think you'd want to mash higher with the same yeast because the yeast would better attenuate. So maybe 154-157 is reasonable assuming the bigfoot would be mashed that high, which is high for a barleywine I've read. Very little crystal though.

They could be wrong on both temps, or could be assuming you are gonna lose a degree or two in your picnic cooler.

I thought about the temp in BYO recipe as well. I plan on doing the bigfoot clone, which is a barleywine higher alcohol, I believe they say mash at 154, but then again with high OG the yeast are doing their damnest to get the attenuation down to manageable FG. With the Celebration, almost a "baby" bigfoot, I would think you'd want to mash higher with the same yeast because the yeast would better attenuate. So maybe 154-157 is reasonable assuming the bigfoot would be mashed that high, which is high for a barleywine I've read. Very little crystal though.

They could be wrong on both temps, or could be assuming you are gonna lose a degree or two in your picnic cooler.

156 is what Steve Dresler said when he gave the recipe for Celebration to the guys on the Brewing Network back in 2010(ish). That's where I'd start...and it's right in the middle anyway. Also, use English crystal malt if possible, says Dresler.

And even with big gravity beers, the yeast will only attenuate up to it's natural tolerance for alcohol...so even if you target your mash temps for high percentage of fermentable sugars, you will most likely still end up with some residual sweetness. Might not be true for Celebration...but for a barleywine, I'd say so.

Back