Another nervous newbie!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davebrear

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I just want to start off by saying hello as this is my 1st post!! :D

SWMBO bought me a starter kit for my birthday and I have just followed all the instructions to mix everything into my beginners fermenting bucket.

I had a great time doing this - and am already considering buying more equipment to use as a secondary fermentation vessel and also free up the primary to make a second batch!!! - once I am sure I have not totally messed this one up!!

The kit in question is a Muntons Gold continental pilsner kit - which is (I believe) an extract kit.

My worry is to do with the yeast - I sprinkled it into my 5 gallons of beer mix and gave it a good stir. When I checked it 2 hours later (Yeah I know - really patient!) I noticed the the yeast has clumped together into about a little balls all floating on the surface.

Is this normal - or should I stir it until the yeast is well mixed in?

Thanks for your advice

Dave

Normal. Let it sit. And wait. I hated waiting too, but I did the same thing your thinking, brew more often and it keeps you busy. Good luck!

Thanks for the quick responses!!!

I am quite patient and I can cope with the waiting - It's the not knowing if I have done it right that could get me panicking!

I think I will keep myself busy by planning what extra equipment I will need beyond my basic fermenting bucket, and possibly sample some of the less commercial style ales they have in the supermarket near me - to get some ideas about what to brew next. (stuff like black sheep etc)

Thanks again - and I'll keep you updated on the progress of my 1st batch :)

Dave

You might want to check out the recipes area for your next batch. Or let us know what you like and I am sure someone can suggest you something.

Patience is the first virtue that you must learn as a homebrewer. It's not very often that you're going to see much fermentation activity in 2 hours :D , and you will certainly be best served by letting your beer age for a full 3 weeks in bottles before you drink it.

First and foremost - welcome to the board. Have fun and play!

What you're experiencing is normal - just leave it be! If nothing happens within a week, then let us know. ;)

Back