Making an immersion wort chiller, confused by material.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwalk4

Reaction score
I was thinking about making an immersion wort chiller in a few weeks, when I went to look up the cost of copper, I was confused by this piece material specification:

"For temperatures up to 65°C".

What, will the copper start to corrode at 100C? Should I buy different material?

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/copper-refrigeration-coil-1-2-inch-x-50-foot/969918

Link to the stuff is above, I would appreciate some info from anyone.
Thanks in advance!

That rating also takes into consideration the operating pressures of a refrigerator compressor. You'll be fine to use that. The melting point of copper is over 1000°C and there won't be very much pressure from your cooling water. You'll be fine.

You may want to look at a premade stainless steel chiller. New York Brewers has them in both 25 & 50 foot lengths for about what you'd pay in materials to make a copper one yourself. NYB also sells them on eBay a few bucks cheaper than their own website price.

You may want to look at a premade stainless steel chiller. New York Brewers has them in both 25 & 50 foot lengths for about what you'd pay in materials to make a copper one yourself. NYB also sells them on eBay a few bucks cheaper than their own website price.

I doubt this very seriously! I googled New York Brewers and found no site where you can buy a stainless steel chiller. In my shopping experience premade SS chillers are almost twice the price of copper.

I made my copper chiller for about 75% the cost of the cheapest one that I could find premade.

kh54s10 said:
I doubt this very seriously! I googled New York Brewers and found no site where you can buy a stainless steel chiller. In my shopping experience premade SS chillers are almost twice the price of copper.

I made my copper chiller for about 75% the cost of the cheapest one that I could find premade.

You must not have looked very far. It's actually New York Brew Supply (my bad), but it was about sixth from the top when I just Googled New York Brewers.

A 3/8" copper kit from the link above is $50, and you have to DIY the whole thing. The 3/8" stainless chiller from NYBS is $67, and all you have to do is slide on the hose and clamps (included). Seems like a good deal to me. And stainless doesn't corrode and is easier to keep clean. YMMV....

http://www.nybrewsupply.com/stainless-steel-wort-chiller-38-x-50.html

And stainless doesn't corrode and is easier to keep clean.

Sure, but stainless is also more than an order of magnitude less thermally conductive than copper...

bdh said:
Sure, but stainless is also more than an order of magnitude less thermally conductive than copper...

Doesn't make much of a practical difference at all in real-world use. Especially when you recirculate ice water through it. I can knock 5 gallons from boil down to 60F in 20 minutes or less. :)

Back