question about kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgough

Reaction score
once the suspended yeast crashes in the keg, won't the first couple pints be filled with yeast because the "beer out" spiggot pulls from the bottom of the keg?

Just kegged my first batch and was wondering if you guys need to dump the first couple pints or so because of this.

I always have a small residue at bottom of 5 gallon syrup tank when cleaning. I have noticed that the first few pints are not as clear, but for the most part... 10 psi for three days gives enough carbonation to serve, as the days go on, it gets better. Force carbonation is fast but never clarifies for me, I have the very first (for me) forced carbonated 5 gallon syrup tank @30 psi in the closet, to test the ability to have a keg waiting. No results as of yet on that one. It has never been chilled, supply store told me it is possible. Very low cost brew to test.

If you let it sit a couple of days in the kegerator without moving the keg, only about 1/2 a pint or so comes out with a ton of yeast. I dump that, and then drink the very next pull.

I know that some people cut their diptubes, so it's higher off the bottom, but might sits right near the bottom and even the last pint comes out clear. If you move the keg, and resuspend the yeast, though, it'll give you some sediment in the next pour.

Or better yet, don't put cloudy beer in the keg to begin with. Cold crash the primary for 3 days if you can.

+1 on the cold crashing. Let the yeast and whatnot settle out BEFORE you keg and there is hardly anything left to sink in your keg (if any).

+2 on cold crashing... Clears up beer nicely...

Now if I had only paid attention when my autosiphon sucked up a few tablespoons of trub when I was racking... DANGNABBIT!!!

OK, the one in the closet turned out perfect. And to correct myself, Force Carbonating DOES clear! I was drinking it too fast is why I didn't know before (trying to rush one for the party as it were). After a few days it clears out nicely. I am going to try something the Brew Store is now doing. Whipping the wort. I have the stirrer it hooks to a drill and spins inside of a Fermenter Stopper. They were telling me that they got a Wheat Brew to clear! So I am checking it out now on the net (anyone have any tips....bring it, please). I am thinking after it goes into the secondary, whip it, then rack as usual after one to two weeks. The process is suppose to loosen the bubbles off the particles so that they can drop.:ban:

OK, the one in the closet turned out perfect. And to correct myself, Force Carbonating DOES clear! I was drinking it too fast is why I didn't know before (trying to rush one for the party as it were). After a few days it clears out nicely. I am going to try something the Brew Store is now doing. Whipping the wort. I have the stirrer it hooks to a drill and spins inside of a Fermenter Stopper. They were telling me that they got a Wheat Brew to clear! So I am checking it out now on the net (anyone have any tips....bring it, please). I am thinking after it goes into the secondary, whip it, then rack as usual after one to two weeks. The process is suppose to loosen the bubbles off the particles so that they can drop.:ban:

I wouldn't aerate my beer, just to get it to clear. Patience will do it, without risking oxidation. Use kettle finings like whirlfloc in the kettle, rack, give it time, then chill for a couple of weeks. Clear beer!

I don't have any big issues with a lot of yeast but I hook it up to the CO2 and let it sit for at least a week in the keggerator. I definitely don't add any priming sugar so force carb only.

Why oh why is the last pull from the keg the best?! :tank:

I ran across something that works great. COFFEE FILTERS!

Two brews, one I triple staged (Cerveza) , the other (Imperial Stout) double staged. On both, I did the whip up the beer to take bubbles off particles, the last move (into keg) was through a coffee filter! Takes a little more time (heck 10-15 minutes) but so clear! First glass, every glass, clear as a newly washed window. Cheapie dollar store filters...they still have all the potency, shoot the Imperial is like it has a shot of Everclear in every glass. I am having a hard time typing, i ' m on my turd glas , go figur.

When going to keg, I left screen on funnel in so that the coffee filter still held shape (flat bottom). Then had to keep enough beer in coffee filter/funnel to push through filter, It was a dance with the beer angels! The Imperial, I had to change filters half way through, as it was hendering my beer glass holding abilities (first one clogged up).

After filtering with Coffee Filters...

I have now figured out how to make a few bottles for travel. I have not tried this yet, but when I keg, After pushing sanitizer out, so that there is beer all the way to spout, I will then fill a few bottles from tap, and put a half tab of the priming sugar in each one (one tab is always too much carbonation) into each bottle. With NO setiment, I can take them on a fishing trip off shore! Shake em up...no setiment.

Get back to this post after actually doing the travel bottles.

I don't have any big issues with a lot of yeast but I hook it up to the CO2 and let it sit for at least a week in the keggerator. I definitely don't add any priming sugar so force carb only.

Why oh why is the last pull from the keg the best?! :tank:

Why oh why is the last pull from the keg the best?! :tank:[/QUOTE]

Mike you definitely think before posting, COOL post.

Got an answer, but you know it already.............

"Dang that was a great beer, too bad it's gone, let's drink the other one".

Back