Questions about cleaning racking canes and siphon tubes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewProject

Reaction score
how do you guys clean the insides of your racking canes/siphon tubes?

Sanitizing is no problem by letting them soak, but what about cleaning them?

is scolding hot water run throuh them sufficient?

I rinse mine right after I use them.. It gets everything out. I have a hose connected to a sink so I can run some pressure through them.

ok, thanks

EDIT: i can let them soak for a few mins in my sanitizer, but there was no way to brush them out. just wondering what you guys did...

BrewProject said:
ok, thanks

EDIT: i can let them soak for a few mins in my sanitizer, but there was no way to brush them out. just wondering what you guys did...

if you flush them with water right after using them, they will be clean enough. next time you need them, another hot water rinse and soak in sanitizer is just fine. (same goes with the hoses.)

Walker-san said:
if you flush them with water right after using them, they will be clean enough. next time you need them, another hot water rinse and soak in sanitizer is just fine. (same goes with the hoses.)

excellent :mug:

Those little dental brushes sold as an alternative to floss will fit in just about anything & you can push the strings through the tube with water.

If the hoses have become stained, would it be suggested to buy new ones, or will oxine or other sanitizers still do the trick?

BadKarmaa said:
If the hoses have become stained, would it be suggested to buy new ones, or will oxine or other sanitizers still do the trick?

mine are not stained, just wondering how to wash them well...

BrewProject said:
mine are not stained, just wondering how to wash them well...
I think BK was just posting a followup question...

There are certainly people who toss their hoses when they get stained (I heard that's what Christie Brinkley did to her latest ex), but I don't worry about staining or discoloration and have never had a problem. Of course, if it were bad enough you couldn't verify cleanliness, then it would be a problem.

I use a 3ft. piece of brass bead chain with a piece of a green scrubbie tied to it with string. The chain will slide through anything wet or dry.

KA6GZJ said:
I use a 3ft. piece of brass bead chain with a piece of a green scrubbie tied to it with string. The chain will slide through anything wet or dry.

cool :mug:

I got this idea from someone on the board a couple of months ago. I bought tray for window plants. Its basicly a long, rectangular box, and I fill it with sanitizing solution(Star San) and sit my cane and tubes in there for 30 minutes. I then flush them at the same temp they sat at, and it works like a charm. I somtimes skip the sanitizer and just flush the lines out when I'm in a hurry and making an Ale, but for lagers I always make sure my equipment 100% sanitized.

digdan said:
I got this idea from someone on the board a couple of months ago. I bought tray for window plants. Its basicly a long, rectangular box, and I fill it with sanitizing solution(Star San) and sit my cane and tubes in there for 30 minutes. I then flush them at the same temp they sat at, and it works like a charm. I somtimes skip the sanitizer and just flush the lines out when I'm in a hurry and making an Ale, but for lagers I always make sure my equipment 100% sanitized.

i read something like this on this board, i believe...

sanitizing by using a wallpaper tray. GREAT IDEA !!! 32" long.

104851_front200.jpg

Back