Brewing Pet Peeves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacoBrew

Reaction score
My hydrometer will NEVER align itself to show me the SG scale.

What are your pet peeves?

I've developed a solution to not being able to read your hydrometer. What you need to do is borrow some kids skateboard....stand on the skate board and push your self off...then while rolling down the drive way, read your hydrometer, the rapid subtle up and down motions of the skate board will since with the hydrometer allowing you to get a perfect reading everytime. Dont forget to keep and eye on where your going or injury could result;)

I've developed a solution to not being able to read your hydrometer. What you need to do is borrow some kids skateboard....stand on the skate board and push your self off...then while rolling down the drive way, read your hydrometer, the rapid subtle up and down motions of the skate board will since with the hydrometer allowing you to get a perfect reading everytime. Dont forget to keep and eye on where your going or injury could result;)

The key to reading a hydrometer is pretending like you don't care. Set it down and turn away, then quickly look back and read it before it realizes what you're doing!

My pet peeve is the steady stream of family and animals that want to constantly distract me, or fiddle with my stuff, while i'm brewing. I've had to re-sanitize my equipment so many times it isn't even funny.

My pet peeve is the steady stream of family and animals that want to constantly distract me, or fiddle with my stuff, while i'm brewing. I've had to re-sanitize my equipment so many times it isn't even funny.

WoW!!! Your living my life!!!

my brew pot knows when Im not looking and at that very moment decides to boil over.
the hydro thing is just straight up weird, never ever, ever faces the right way.
diabolical.

my brew pot knows when Im not looking and at that very moment decides to boil over.
the hydro thing is just straight up weird, never ever, ever faces the right way.
diabolical.

I believe some twisted individual designed them to float this way.:cross:

The hydrometer is such a delicate piece of equipment that the weight of your gaze is enough to influence its orientation.

Good to know I'm not the only one who gets jerked around by the evil hydrometer.

i've noticed the hydrometer doing that, also. the floating thermometer used to be the same way till i installed a blichmann thermometer into the bk. now my main problem is with the fragility of hydrometers. we can design a probe that can hit the sun at 25k mph, and sink into a surface 2 million degrees, but we can't design a hydrometer that can survive a 1 inch drop, or even looking at it sideways?!?

No matter how many towels I bring out for brewing or bottling, there is never one within reach when I need it!

When I warn everyone "I'm brewing tomorrow" (in other words don't include me in any plans and leave me alone) and then half way through I start hearing "how much longer?!"

When I warn everyone "I'm brewing tomorrow" (in other words don't include me in any plans and leave me alone) and then half way through I start hearing "how much longer?!"

I usually have this conversation as well. Right after I give notification of my brew date, the response is usually something like: "Okay...?"

During the brew day, I usually get something like this: "When can I use the kitchen?" "How much longer will it be before I can use the stove?" "Can you move this stuff so I can sweep?" "Are you done with these?"

The last response is a bit ambiguous, but it's probably the response I get the most. It isn't really a question of whether or not I am finished with the item, but rather a statement of "put this anywhere but there" where "there" is the place I need it the most :p

Good to know I'm not the only one who gets jerked around by the evil hydrometer.

I've considered spending the money on a refractometer solely because of this.

my other peeve is low efficiency. and not getting 5 gallons, no matter how much water I start with. I could top up, but with my low eff. I'm already below my og with less than 5, and I'd end up way short if I topped up.

I've considered spending the money on a refractometer solely because of this.

my other peeve is low efficiency. and not getting 5 gallons, no matter how much water I start with. I could top up, but with my low eff. I'm already below my og with less than 5, and I'd end up way short if I topped up.

That would ssip me off too

Then kids decide to make lunch on and around sanitized Kitchen. Nothing like picking up your hydo and finding peanut butter all over it.

aiptasia said:

I have been known to spray people with my sanitizer bottle.

Yep. That'd be mine, too. Or some variation upon that theme.

Another: Halfway thru a batch, the dreaded phone call: "Honey, I need to you go and pick up the kids..."

Sanitation issues here too, my son keeps picking up items and asking what they are, its worse if i tell him not to touch things because he will then pick it up and say "Im not allowed to touch this?"4

Im glad my cats show no interedt during the brewing process. I'm sure cat feces sont belong in the bjcp gradings

I believe classification 1A allows for it. Judging by the commercial "examples" listed by the BJCP.

My cat just tries to eat the malt as I'm weighing it. I may need to get the sanitizer out earlier in the brew day.

My cat just tries to eat the malt as I'm weighing it. I may need to get the sanitizer out earlier in the brew day.

Eh whatever. It will be boiled for an hour and while this doesn't guarantee clean wort but I'll take the odds

Three hydrometers, three different readings.

Trying to remember which reads what is a pain.

Only three? I have four.

Trying to remember which reads what isn't just a pain. Its impossible.

So I wrote a simple computer program with 5 steps:
  1. Select the hydrometer. (This determines what correction is necessary for that hydrometer)
  2. Enter the observed gravity
  3. Display the corrected gravity for the selected hydrometer
  4. Enter the temperature
  5. Display the temperature corrected gravity for the selected hydrometer at the measured temperature.

I can't believe how useful this program has been.

-a.

Only three? I have four.

Trying to remember which reads what isn't just a pain. Its impossible.

So I wrote a simple computer program with 5 steps:

[*]Select the hydrometer. (This determines what correction is necessary for that hydrometer)
[*]Enter the observed gravity
[*]Display the corrected gravity for the selected hydrometer
[*]Enter the temperature
[*]Display the temperature corrected gravity for the selected hydrometer at the measured temperature.

I can't believe how useful this program has been.

-a.

Maybe simple to you but over my head. I tip my hat to you sir.

Step 1 take hydro sample cussin and swearin about how difficult it is to read and adjust
Step 2 guestimate and keep drinking

Back