Real Dilemma - (new neighbor also a homebrewer)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudsmonkey

Reaction score
I brew with a friend from work. I taught him to brew abou 10 batches ago. Since we stared, we have done seven A/G batches. We do 10 gallons at the time, and take home 5 gallons each. Haven't had a bad batch yet.

Last week, one of our co- workers told us about his new neighbor. He said the guy moved in, scrubbed the garage, painted it, and turned it into a brewery. The new neighbor has keg upon keg in his garage. The guy says we should really meet him.

The problem: My buddy and I make beer in the woods. We use well water from the hose. Every beer is either coal black or brown. We use Chinook hops, regardless.
We dig the beer we make to the Nth degree. You can't buy beer to equal it. You just can't. What if this guy is one of the brewers who figures carbon content and adds gypsum to his water to make everything right?

We're just backwoods brewers. It works out for us. I'm not saying that we're good, just that the Beer Gods smile on us. There was that one time where we weren't drinking while we brewed and we had a slow sparge, but we deal with that by drinking while we brew. Hasn't happened again.

The question is, do we assume this guy is so far above us on the brewing scale that we shouldn't visit him, or do we go and just brazen it out?

What would you do?

I'd most definitely go. If for nothing else but to see his brewery setup. As far as anyone being above or below anyone else on the brewing scale, I agree with bearkluttz. We all have something unique to our brewing experiences to bring to the table. That's what makes this hobby so great. We can all continue to learn from each other...and drink each other's beer! :mug:

The question is, do we assume this guy is so far above us on the brewing scale that we shouldn't visit him, or do we go and just brazen it out?

What would you do?

Don't assume anything. There are lots of ways to brew maybe you can teach him something or maybe he can teach you. One of the reasons we hang out on this forum is to be teachers and students. Meet this guy for the same reasons. Besides, he a beer brewer so the odds are good that he's nice. If he turns out to be a jerk, leave and don't look back but don't pass up the opportunity.

nothing wrong with being anal about every detail and nothing wrong with just throwing stuff together with well water. i do things tons of different ways depending on who i'm with, where i'm at and what i want from the brew.

just don't let anyone tell you there's one way to do it ;)

He brews his own beer, right? He probably does things differently than you, right? You're not sure you want to pay him a visit? Wrong!

Go see him with your brews in your hands.....chances are you'll all have a blast, and everyone will learn from each other.:ban:

Since many homebrewers never stray to the dark side, you should take a few over and introduce yourself. Few homebrewers (probably less than 5%) are convinced they know the only true way to make beer.

You might as well meet him, maybe you all will get something out of it.

There are alot of different kinds of beers, and alot of different ways to brew them, you just have to do whats right for you.

If you don't want to talk to someone that brews differently than you, HBT is not for you either. If he doesn't like your brew, he won't drink it and vice versa. Doesn't mean you can't hang. Are you afraid your current brew buddy is going to cross over to the clean garage dark side?

I've yet to meet a homebrewer in person that I didn't enjoy kicking back and enjoying a pint with (even guys that brew very differently than me). Grab a sixer and introduce yourself.

Of the 100 or some homebrewers I've met in person, plus the thousands on here I've only met one that was kind of weird. Not rude or anything, just a little off ya know? Still cool to talk to, and interesting to find out about his brewing methods. His brewing methods by the way went something like this:

****WARNING! PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME****
1. Get together 6.5 gallons of tap water
2. Throw in all your grains
3. Start up the burner and heat up the MLT/Boil Kettle
4. As the water warms up over the next hour, start straining out the grains with a mesh basket
5. When the grains are all out and the "wort" is boiling, add the hops.
6. Boil for 20 minutes
7. Add to the carboy(!!!)
8. Pitch yeast the next day

The funny thing is, as asinine as this sounds I still think about doing this method from time to time. What the hell, maybe he's onto something :rolleyes:.

Of the 100 or some homebrewers I've met in person, plus the thousands on here I've only met one that was kind of weird. Not rude or anything, just a little off ya know? Still cool to talk to, and interesting to find out about his brewing methods. His brewing methods by the way went something like this:

****WARNING! PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME****
1. Get together 6.5 gallons of tap water
2. Throw in all your grains
3. Start up the burner and heat up the MLT/Boil Kettle
4. As the water warms up over the next hour, start straining out the grains with a mesh basket
5. When the grains are all out and the "wort" is boiling, add the hops.
6. Boil for 20 minutes
7. Add to the carboy(!!!)
8. Pitch yeast the next day

The funny thing is, as asinine as this sounds I still think about doing this method from time to time. What the hell, maybe he's onto something :rolleyes:.

haha...i bet tha method would make some pretty decent beer. But go and meet the guy...if u don't like him, you never have to see him again

+1 for going and meeting him, hell, it's at least one more drinking buddy

Let me get this straight..... You're saying I should go?

Guess you're all right . The best point was the one about never having met a homebrewer who wasn't cool. It sort of goes with the territory.

I'll make the call and set it up.

I see we have a member of the Monkey Wrench Gang in our midst.:mug:

Last week, one of our co- workers told us about his new neighbor. He said the guy moved in, scrubbed the garage, painted it, and turned it into a brewery. The new neighbor has keg upon keg in his garage. The guy says we should really meet him.

When did Yuri move next door? :D

Seriously, go check out his digs and his beer.

The most important thing about your beer is that YOU like it. Remember that, and you'll be OK.

So RDWHAHB.

hell give me his address ill pay him a visit....you said he's got beer :mug:
and i brew like you...on a whim and my way:rockin:

Hey, even when I meet someone who has done two extract only brews from a coopers can, and who knows everything about homebrew. I still enjoy meeting them and sharing ideas and tips. (Not a knock against cooper's I can/still make quick easy braggots using those.)

The day I stop learning about brewing is the day I stop. :rockin:

What's the matter? Afraid of accidentally learning something? I'm sure the guy gets off on knowing all there is to know about brewing, but that doesn't mean he's a dick! That's jsut the way he wants to roll!

Seriously, this is a no-brainer. If you don't like the guy, you don't have to go back. You can still continue having fun brewing on a wing and a prayer, if that's what you enjoy.

Hey, If you make good beer then he'll dig that.

I keep my set up simple because it works for me and makes the beer I like.

Same reason I have a $500 4x4 that'll kick ass on the $100,000 rigs when it comes to the rough stuff.

Hey, If you make good beer then he'll dig that.

I keep my set up simple because it works for me and makes the beer I like.

Same reason I have a $500 4x4 that'll kick ass on the $100,000 rigs when it comes to the rough stuff.

$500 huh? Let me guess...1984 Toyota SR5 22R?
1984-toyota-pickup-1.jpg

I moved into a new house in January. I was only about 10 months into brewing at that time (and I think 160 gallons!) and the guy I moved in next door to is a brewer. He's been doing it for about 10 years and everything I've had of his is top notch. The guy makes nearly perfect beer. I was a little hesitant at first, but he is the most mellow, relaxed guy ever and it turns out he helped me loosen up a bit on some of my methods. He's been a big help in figuring out recipes and technique and I have to say I'm better for it.

Also, if you bitter with chinook for almost everything you make, I'd hate your beer. But I'd still hang out with you. :)

Hell, even if no one learns anything (not likely) it's still worth it to meet people and be generally sociable.

Are you afraid your current brew buddy is going to cross over to the clean garage dark side?

I'm not afaraid. What we have is a totally committed brewing relationship. I did slip once and let some other people watch me brew, but we're beyond that. This would be more like a three way.

That being said.....

We got up with the co-worker with the brewing neighbor today. He's already talked to said neighbor on our behalf. Turns out the guy isn't brewing right now because he has 14 kegs of, get this, black ales sitting in his garage.
He told our friend that " If those boys want to drink some beer, send them to me." I can't believe I'm not there yet! We're going to try and set up a visit within the next couple of weeks. I need to line my son up to drive us.

I like this cat already!:ban:

I'm not afaraid. What we have is a totally committed brewing relationship. I did slip once and let some other people watch me brew, but we're beyond that. This would be more like a three way.
:confused:

Hell, I'd wander in off the street it it was me. Meeting and talking with other brewers makes me even more excited about my next brew.

I'll add to everyone's comments that this is crazy talk... go check the guy's place out. Worst case scenario, he's kind of a tool and you can cross "checking that guy out" off your list. Best case scenario he's a great guy, he shares great beer with you and he has a supermodel wife that serves those little cocktail weinies to you guys in the garage while she's strutting around in a bikini.

... it could happen.

Best case scenario he's a great guy, he shares great beer with you and he has a supermodel wife that serves those little cocktail weinies to you guys in the garage while she's strutting around in a bikini.

... it could happen.

Ah, an optimist! I like the way you think! If it works out that way. I'll try to get pictures.

Back