1 gallon glass jugs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirsloop

Reaction score
Lol... so I want to make 8 gallons of different meads. I got a crap load of honey, different yeasts, nutrients, energizer, etc etc. Anyways, I needed to find some glass jugs to put all of this in. I didn't want to mess around with plastic so I went on a massive search for glass jugs. I checked wegmans, shoprite, a/p, whole foods, trader joes, walmart, sams, costco, and delicious orchards. Nobody sells juice in a gallon glass jug. The only thing I could find in glass gallons jugs is cheap wine! :D So my wife and cruised down to "bottle king", the cheap discount liquor and got 5 gallons of cheap cabernet sauvignon and 3 gallons of sangria!!! HAHAH!!! I siphoned the cab into a cornie keg and plan on keeping it on warm tap in my kitchen...LOL! I have a spare beer disconnect and picnic faucet i'll use, and just push in a couple psi of gas when I want to serve. I'll leave it off the gas so I dont have bubbly cab. Anyways, I looked into getting bottles shipped/ebay but the shipping costs made it almost as expensive as just buying bottles straight up with wine in them. So... I have a ridiculous amount of wine floating around my place and a lot of empty gallon jugs all ready for some mead. :rockin: :rockin:

Around here, I can still get milk in half gallon glass bottles. And, of course, I can always pick up a growler of beer from the local brewpubs... :)

yeh... i found 64oz bottles of apple juice, but I can't see making 1/2 gallon batches. Those bottles would be good for starters or something. If I used ha;f gallon's I would be using 16 stoppers, 16 airlocks, etc etc. A bit excessive...

Well, my plan is for American, Hungarian, and French oaked meads, with medium and heavy toast, on the oak for 2, 4, and 6 months. That's 18 meads right there. Ever want to experiment with fruits, spices, etc? Those 1/2 gallon batches are perfect. Of course, for more experienced mead makers, I can surely appreciate the allure of larger fermenters.

I started telling all my relatives to save their Rossi jugs and I'm amassing quite the collection. I also make regular runs over to the town recycling center and keep finding them in the dumpster. That is some nasty wine and I can't believe people drink it in mass quantities.

I was actually pretty surprised on how not-bad these gallon bottles of cab I got were. Its certainly not the best wine I have ever had, but its certainly drinkable and somewhat enjoyable. Worst comes to worst I have TONS of cooking wine, or some wine to make vinegar out of ;)

Wow, you went to all those, and not 1 gallon of juice in glass?? That amazes me. I've never had a problem going to TJ's, Whole Foods and Wegmans and finding Apple Cider, Apple Juice and even Grapefruit Juice in gallon glass.

Glad you found some though, regardless of where and what was in them.

Oh.... I did call a number of Trader Joe's and they told me that only west coast stores have apple juice in gallon glass jugs. Everyone uses plastic now...

I was just about to post "you didn't find them in Trader Joe's?" We have gallon glass jugs of apple juice at my local Trader Joe's. Then again, that's because West Side Reprezent! :rockin:

My LHBS/beer and wine store sells used wine jugs for $2 each. A reasonable price since it is less than half the price of a new jug and much cheaper than buying a jug of wine I won't drink.
Still I love the resourcefulness of your solution. :)
Craig

Lol... Ive been home all day nipping on that cab... to be quite honest its pretty tastey!! HAHAH!! I've certainly had better, but its red, dry, and has decent flavor.

Bobby_M said:
I started telling all my relatives to save their Rossi jugs and I'm amassing quite the collection. I also make regular runs over to the town recycling center and keep finding them in the dumpster. That is some nasty wine and I can't believe people drink it in mass quantities.
Thanks Bobby, :mug: I enjoy my cheap wines, I consider myself a cheap wine connisuer. Believe it or not, most jug wines are not neutral spirits with grape flavorings.
Most of the jug wines and box wines come from blends of grapes from some of the best vinyards here in California. Take a drive thru central California and you will see that all the hundreds of vinyards are not bottling under their own lables. Those grapes have to go somewhere. They end up as Two Buck Chuck, Carlo Rossi, Peter Vella, E&J Gallo, Almadin and a whole bunch of others. Sometimes you get lucky and end up with a box of exceptional burgundy, like the last two Franzias I bought.
I consider $5.99 a decent price to pay for a 1 gal. glass jugs, bonus, you get all that free wine to drink.:drunk:
AP

Back