Karusen not falling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mdsutton

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This was a recipe kit from Austin Home brew. American Light Lager with Pacific Coast Lager Yeast WLP295. A mini mash kit. I fermented for 7 days at 54. Than brought to room temp for three days. The Karusen developed on the third day, and has not shown any signs of dropping. DO I cold crash it? Transfer to secondary leaving the karusen behind? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Martin

Fermentation has its own schedule; give it time. Krausen for more than two weeks is not unusual.

Fermentation is complete when SG readings have stabilized over a period of three to four days. Transfer to another vessel before fermentation is complete will probably stall the fermentation.

You've GOT to take your readings. as Flars said, it's the only way to know if you're done. You really need before/after readings to be sure, but current grav against what your expected kit final grav reading would be enought to ball park "done" status.

Once in a while (rarely after 3 or 4 weeks in the fermenter) if I have some krausen that doesn't want to fall I just give the fermenter a little twist or two (nothing too violent), just enough to get the surface to move a little and this usually does the trick. If it doesn't I just make sure to cut off the siphon before the surface crud gets into the bottling bucket.

bosco

I brewed a Saison a while back and the krausen never fell. I think it was in primary for 4 or 5 weeks. It had bottomed out on FG in a normal time frame.

I hit the numbers dead on.
O.G. = 1.034
F.G. = 1.005

I will give another few days. If still no drop I will transfer and Crash cool.

Thanks everyone.

Few more days is a good idea. The yeast may not have read they were supposed to stop working at 1.005.

Back