American Pale Ale Russian River Row 2 Hill 56 Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, thought id report back on the Denali version i made. So i tapped the keg last Thursday, first impression is immediately tropical fruit, but i didnt get the pineapple flavors reported from the hop. Overall it was very good and quite the hit over this weekend, but not as good (to me) as the mosaic version. It was one of those beers that the first few were good, but the flavor became...... repetitive i guess, and after 4 i had to switch to something else as i wanted a change. The malt bill was the same somewhat grainy flavor as all the other versions, and i really like the wy1968 in this. If i did the Denali again, i would perhaps mix some simcoe or mosaic in with the dry hop.

Brewed this recipe twice now. The first time was exactly the same as the recipe in the OP, the second time I switched up the hops to Ekuanot. Batch #1 lasted a grand total of 3 hours during a camping trip with friends before the keg kicked, seems everyone enjoyed it. Batch #2 is going to the lake with me this weekend, but it is also very good (Ekuanot is a unique hop, that's for sure!). It is a very simply recipe that allows the hops to shine, I really like this recipe and plan to brew it a few more times with different hops.

If you're thinking about brewing this one just go ahead and do it, great recipe.

IMG_20170718_170714.jpg

Brewed this recipe twice now. The first time was exactly the same as the recipe in the OP, the second time I switched up the hops to Ekuanot. Batch #1 lasted a grand total of 3 hours during a camping trip with friends before the keg kicked, seems everyone enjoyed it. Batch #2 is going to the lake with me this weekend, but it is also very good (Ekuanot is a unique hop, that's for sure!). It is a very simply recipe that allows the hops to shine, I really like this recipe and plan to brew it a few more times with different hops.

If you're thinking about brewing this one just go ahead and do it, great recipe.

How do you think the Mosaic and Ekuanot versions compare to the Simcoe version? I've done the Simcoe version once, have some Ekuanot in the freezer and need to restock on Mosaic.

I haven't done a Mosaic version yet, that's next on my list for this recipe. I love Mosaic and I'm sure it will be delicious.

Ekuanot version is... odd? I get some distinct green pepper off of the first sip, and only the first sip. After that it's a bit of an non distinct general fruitiness. Stone fruit I suppose, a bit of citrus. It's good, Simcoe was better I'd say, but still tasty. If I did it again I don't think I'd go with the single Ekuanot hop, maybe pair it with a dash of Citra or Mosaic. This was the first time I've used Ekuanot and wanted to see what it was like on its own.

I have made this recipe 4 times. The first 3 were perfect. This last time I have no idea why but it came out super bitter, with a very bitter after taste :( No idea why that happened. i cant think of anything I did differently than the other 3 times...

Maybe some time in the keg will mellow it a bit... hoping so.

I have made this recipe 4 times. The first 3 were perfect. This last time I have no idea why but it came out super bitter, with a very bitter after taste :( No idea why that happened. i cant think of anything I did differently than the other 3 times...

Maybe some time in the keg will mellow it a bit... hoping so.

All the way down to the same exact batch of hops? Maybe you got some with a bit higher AA% than your previous attempts?

Unrelated: I just discovered the last bottle of this tucked in the back of my fridge, and enjoyed the heck out of it last night. I think this is the best beer I've ever made, and I will definitely be brewing it again!

All the way down to the same exact batch of hops? Maybe you got some with a bit higher AA% than your previous attempts?

Unrelated: I just discovered the last bottle of this tucked in the back of my fridge, and enjoyed the heck out of it last night. I think this is the best beer I've ever made, and I will definitely be brewing it again!

Nope..all from same pound I used before...vac sealed in freezer...after a couple days in the keg it's a bit better...drinkable now :)

Anyone tried to brew this using Carstan Light instead of Crystal 20?

Couldn't find C20 so I have German Pilsner, Marris Otter and Light Carastan 17L

Thanks

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
7 lbs 4.3 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (1.5 SRM) Grain 1 60.5 %
3 lbs 14.4 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (2.5 SRM) Grain 2 32.4 %
13.6 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.1 %

When scaling volumes base malts are split 70% Pils 30% MO. Crystal 20 should makeup 8% of less of total grain bill.

[/QUOTE]

First off, thank you for this. Tried this when I was out west and now I cannot wait to make it. Second, am I missing something or misinterpreting it? The scaling numbers provided don't really match up. I keep getting 35% MO and 65% 2 row for the base malts.

Anyone tried to brew this using Carstan Light instead of Crystal 20?

Couldn't find C20 so I have German Pilsner, Marris Otter and Light Carastan 17L

Thanks

Not light carastan, but I substituted patagonia 15L as it was what I had on hand, and it worked great. I generally avoid using small fractions of a # of grain so I went with:

7.5# Pilsner
4# MO
1# Patagonia 15L

The color was right where I wanted it to be, spot on to the OPs pic. I think you're using a small enough volume that the flavor impact will be nominal at most.

I'd just say to be sure to mash @ 154 as the recipe indicates or higher. I believe I ended up mashing at lower @ 152 and slightly overcarbed and it resulted in a drier beer than I wanted. I also had yeast issues which I highlight in an earlier post, though, so that could also be the culprit.

First off, thank you for this. Tried this when I was out west and now I cannot wait to make it. Second, am I missing something or misinterpreting it? The scaling numbers provided don't really match up. I keep getting 35% MO and 65% 2 row for the base malts.

Sorry my reading comprehension is out the window. The base recipe gives me 60.6% 2-row, 32.1% MO and 7.3% 20L

Last edited:
This is one of my favorite clones. Never had the real stuff :).
I'm planning on a re-brew possibly this weekend with some changes.
-Adding C40 (8oz) and midnight wheat malt (.6 oz) to increase the color
Hop schedule will be changed as well.
30 min addition of warrior to get 35 ibu's
4.5 oz simcoe WP at 170 for 20 min
3.5 oz simcoe DH
Total IBU is 52
This is about double what the original recipe shows. I just find my hop aroma and flavor are seriously lacking so looking to try something different.
Any thoughts on the changes? 8.75 oz total hops, too much??
5.75 gal batch with 5 gal to keg.

I think you are making a completely different beer with what you show. In favt the only thing i think your keeping is a 50/50 ratio of the pils and pale...

Yeah I know it will be different. Want more hop flavor/aroma so figured to try a different hop schedule. Since I never had the original, not sure what I brewed is close or now so why not change it up some? Still should be tastee.

I brewed this a 2 months ago as I was looking for a go-to pale ale recipe. I generally try to use NZ hops in my brews seeing as they are grown just up the road from me, but I stuck to the Simcoe for this one. I`m also interested to see how Mosaic would go here.
Anyways, the beer turned out great. Perfect amount of bitterness and attenuation and the Simcoe I used has imparted a lovely pineapple, lemony character to the beer. The yeast I used was Mangrove Jacks Liberty Bell and I think it has really done it`s job and laid low to allow the hops/malts to shine. I dry-hopped for 6 days in a nylon laundry bag with pellets but I`m a little disappointed that the aroma is fairly subdued. I`m wondering if anyone has any tips to get a bit more aroma out of the dry-hop?
Will definitely brew this one again but will probably try a different hop next time just for a change.
Thanks for the recipe.

Attachments

• IMG_4891.JPG
    IMG_4891.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 160
I've brewed this one a few times but changed the hop schedule.
I find 2 oz DH isn't enough. Next time I brew this, my plan is to move the bittering addition to either a FWH or 60 min. Will add a 10 min addition and probably 3-4 oz WP then 3-4 oz DH.
These changes will alter the intended result some but I like moving hops around to get better aroma/flavor.

This recipe is a personal favorite. It's simple and just so delicious.

I have brewed it 3 times now: Simcoe, Azacca, and Mosaic. I have enjoyed each one, but the Mosaic version I'm drinking right now is something special. Highly recommended!

I think I will try Strata in the next batch. Thanks for dialing this one in, @Jukas!

Thinking of trying this brewed as per the recipe with Simcoe but dry hopping with mosaic instead. Thoughts? Guessing it’ll be nice!

I brewed it recently starting with DI water. Added some salts and ended with Ca:88. Cl: 109 SO4:63. Fermented with K-97.
Really, really good beer! I keep saying to myself: I'd pay for this!

Really, K-97? What did it attenuate down to? Any interesting flavours from the yeast? I just brewed a Kolsch with this yeast but haven`t tried it yet. I was thinking of trying it in something hoppy. Apparently it leaves a little bit of haze and gives a fluffy head.

It went down to 1.012. I really like K-97 in this one and in hoppy beers in general. It gives great mouthfeel and a subtle fruitness that I enjoy. However, keep in mind that the krausen stays forever, making it a bit tricky to dry hop. I added 2 oz of Simcoe after 2 weeks for 5 days and there was still quite a bit of foam. If you're used to dry hop 2-5 after pitching the yeast, it might be impossible with this one.
Also, this yeast stays in suspension for a looonggggg time (I don't use gelatin). The beer is then thinner and reminds me of some NEIPA tastewise: I call it yeasty fruitiness. When it finally clears, I get awesome body and the unique -and massive- tropical goodness from the Simcoe. I just like to see this one evolve with time.

I brewed this one in July.
For a 5.75 gal batch full volume I added the following
7.1 g Gypsum
4 g Epsom
1.3 g salt
6.3 g chloride
Turned out nice. Need to add a bit more bittering hops.

Overall it was very good and quite the hit over this weekend, but not as good (to me) as the mosaic version.
So far the all-Mosaic version I've made from this recipe has been my favorite as well. I have a BRU-1 iteration on tap right now that is lovely, and is giving off (at least to my tastebuds) some vanilla notes. This is nice, but still not as good as the Mosaic batch.

Last edited:
Back