Hydrometer/Refractometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonestar

Reaction score
I took samples of my beer after 2 weeks of fermentation.

Hydrometer - 1.010 sg.

Refractometer - 8.5 Brix or 1.034sg.

I understand that the refractometer reading is taking other thingS into the measurement besides sugar but what is the correction I use when using a refractometer to get it to match the hydrometer?

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong :D but I believe that refractometers have issues with alcohol. IIRC, there are correction tables, but even then the results may be questionable.

Short answer: trust the hydrometer

It's grounds for debate, and some people will swear by those correction tables, but I have to agree. Use the hydrometer Luke. My refractometer only comes out for testing my wort during the Sparge and preboil

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong :D but I believe that refractometers have issues with alcohol. IIRC, there are correction tables, but even then the results may be questionable.

Short answer: trust the hydrometer

I would agree. I never use my hydrometer after my wort reaches the fermenter. After fermentation has begun, your hydrometer is the best way to go.

You need to know your original gravity reading to get an answer. For example for your readings to agree your OG should have been around 17.5Brix or 1.075 with the hydrometer

Back