False bottom ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopdog1

Reaction score
I used my new barley mill and jaybird false bottom on a converted keg, for the first time. There was quite a bit of grain that went through the false bottom. Is this normal or is my mill crushing the grain to fine?

Dont you need one of those screens attached to your drain outlet plug.

do u have anything on your dip tube to keep pressure on the false bottom to make sure it stays seated when you stir? Just thinking it might move abit during stirring and let something through around the edges.

I guess the false bottom could have moved. When I order grain crushed it looks to me it is just smashed but this barley crusher i have now crushes it to a very fine consistentcy and I think some just falls through.

I guess the false bottom could have moved. When I order grain crushed it looks to me it is just smashed but this barley crusher i have now crushes it to a very fine consistentcy and I think some just falls through.

I'm sure some falls through mine. I use a pump and recirc for a bit, fairly clear when I divert to the boil kettle. No problem for me.

Another thing you might want to try is wet milling or malt conditioning to keep the husks more intact. In either case you're going to get some particulates through the FB but wet milling really helps set up a fluffy filter bed.

I have the barley crusher malt mill, do u guys leave it at the factory gap setting?

Latest posts

Back