My BCS-460 control panel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budzu

Reaction score
I just finished this yesterday. Just a few more parts outside the panel left for full system functionality! Yes there's a couple holes left that I must seal up with some silicone.
Power routes through a 63a disconnect. Power for elements goes through 2 30a breakers, then 2 40a contactors, and 2 40a SSR's. Power for the contactor coils, 2 pumps, and BCS comes from the 10a breaker. All this is fed from my 100a subpanel right next to this box that I recently installed in this 10'x20' outbuilding. It houses a 60a gfci and 2 20a breakers for my fridges and lighting etc. It is fed from my main panel in my house from a normal 100a breaker, from which I buried 70 feet of 2 gauge 4 wire aluminum.
PICT0001-2.jpg

PICT0002-3.jpg

PICT0003-2.jpg

PICT0004-2.jpg

I agree with BT, nice job! I love seeing these BCS builds, as one of these days I'll put mine into use!

Any more info/pictures about the 10x20 out building? Wiring schematic?

Nice job!

Thanks!
The box is a 16x14 hoffman nema 4x that I found on ebay for 60ish. It had all 8 22mm holes already cut in the side, plus a few more I was able to use for the BCS on-off switch, and my temp probe connectors. As configured I am not able to use the right hand side holes, as the wireway inside is in the way of any contact blocks. Its already a super squeeze. Automation direct had some awesome little 22m plugs with orings to seal. I'll probably put round labels for the 4 switches there on them.

When I bought the building, I posted a few pics last year. Here it is before any additions: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/most-amazing-day-brewer-129905/index3.html#post1459719

Very nice and neat. I'm just wondering.... is there a problem or will there be a problem in putting all of that higher voltage components/wiring into one box? I mean, would this make a difference? I'm asking only because I am getting my components together for my all electric brewery and will have 3 seperate panels for all the components, ie; 1 panel will house 2 30amp breakers and 1 15amp breaker. The second will house the SSR's, high amp terminal strips and 2 rotary disconnects. The last panel will be my control panel and will house the switches and 24volt transformer, 24volt relay switches along with PID's. I've given this alot of thought over the past few months and I hope that this will be correct in theory. I have seen pictures of quite a few systems and ALL have different ways of wiring it all together. I've also read threads that some people worry about the volt leakage and so that is why I wonder about putting everything inside one box. Can anyone give me some decent advice?

Hi Roqk, I've thought about many different ways to do this as well. Originally I planned separate boxes with low voltage control. I found this box which I couldn't pass up, and it made me rethink the build due to pre-cut holes. Saved me a ton of cash being able to use only 240 and 120v and all in one box.

I can't give you the best advice as to which build idea is better. Using multiple boxes may be advantageous only if you desire a compact control panel. With a single watertight box safely wired, there should be no issue, and no reason for the expense of an additional power supply to run dc voltage.

Just finished my first brew today with this panel and the bcs with a few of Derrin's temp probes. There were no issues with any voltage leaking and nothing at all unexpected. SSR's performed as I commanded them (with a decent amount of heat.. might look into to a fan or external heatsink). Temp probes need calibration, as the boil read 224, but I did some calibrating on the fly during the mash and sparge with a trusted therm. I'll have to figure out how to get them spot on.

Back