kegging - custom regulators?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdaddy

Reaction score
I have a local guy who I believe can give me a better deal on a complete system than what I can get online, with shipping, etc. The only catch is he apparently has "custom" regulators that he gets from someplace else. Right now he's testing out one of his dual regulators as the ones he's used in the past are for single tanks. Anyways, do you guys think this is "safe"? Any concerns I should have? I guess if he gives me a good enough deal I could always buy another regulator later and probably still come out ahead, but just wondering if you guys think there's any concerns with a custom regulator? (FYI here's the blurb he has about his current regulator)

Our own High 69 CO2 Regulator incorporates the best features of the many other brands of regulators that we sell, but is offered at an affordable price. It has a new adjustment knob that allows pressure to be easily adjusted by hand (no tool required!). The shut-off valves are ball type check valves that prevent beer back-up into the regulator. Regulator has a maximum pressure safety system (blow off at 55 to 60 PSI.) The permanent seal at the inlet nipple provides enhanced protection of leaks and the O-ring setup on the tank side eliminates the need for fiber washers upon refill. Heavy duty dual gauges are protected by rubber gauge guards. The regulator has a check-valve that will maintain pressure regardless of your CO2 tank pressure level and will not allow for bleed through from attached kegs at higher pressures.

also, unrelated question, but once the beer is carbed, do you keep the gas on the keg permanently? Or do you turn it off and only turn it on prior to serving? Is there any harm with leaving it on permanently (assuming you don't have a leak?)

Rather than a manufacturer building its own regulator, "custom" regulators are likely regulators build by someone with available off the shelf parts. Believe it or not, even most manufacturers don't physically make every part of the regulator...they might contract with others to build certain parts and call them there own.

If the price is right and you have some backup that he is reputable, the regulator will probably be just fine...(good, not cheap) "parts are parts".

Regarding keeping your kep pressurized...I used to shut it off between drinking sessions but don't bother anymore...you just need to make sure you don't have leaks and you keep your psi and temp at levels appropriate for your carbing.

Good luck and let us know how you make out...also some info on the guy and pricing would help!

:)

Sounds good on paper, those are all features I'd like in a regulator.

My main question: Brass or aluminum body? AL & steel screws do not play well together.

Back